IGNORED

The story of Bristol City’s three relegations in 747 days

RedRoss

Thought I'd share this article I have found..

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/09/20/the-story-of-bristol-citys-three-relegations-in-747-days/

Although this is way before my time I do enjoy reading about the clubs trials and tribulations and I am happy we came through this difficult period in our history.

Also got me thinking - What's the best book to cover our history in depth? I may have to purchase one.

14 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/09/20/the-story-of-bristol-citys-three-relegations-in-747-days/

Although this is way before my time I do enjoy reading about the clubs trials and tribulations and I am happy we came through this difficult period in our history.

Also got me thinking - What's the best book to cover our history in depth? I may have to purchase one.

all the younger posters on here, just remember when we have lost a few games  it's not the end of the world, 3 consecutive relegations to end up at the bottom of the whole league, now that did feel like the end of the world, hope to god I never have to live through that again.

28 minutes ago, pillred said:

all the younger posters on here, just remember when we have lost a few games  it's not the end of the world, 3 consecutive relegations to end up at the bottom of the whole league, now that did feel like the end of the world, hope to god I never have to live through that again.

at least we never suffered the embarrassment of dropping out the entire football league after celebrating staying up the week prior 

1 hour ago, RedRoss said:

For those of you who weren't around at the time I will tell a joke that just about summed up our rapid decline. For those who were around at the time, forgive me for repeating it here. Just to provide some background information, the Conference was called the Alliance in those days.

The joke was told not long before the 1982 biz, when we were struggling at the foot of DIv 3, having been relegated the season prior from Div 2 and the season before that from Div 1.

Clive Whitehead was walking through town one day when someone knocked him over the head. He slumped to the ground unconscious. Some passers by carried him into the nearby Alliance Building Society. When Whitehead eventually came round he asked where he was.

'You're in the Alliance,' came the reply.

'Jeez, what happened to Division Four!' Whitehead responded.

20 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

this should be pinned, and anyone complaining about how bad it is on and off the field should be forced to read that and realize how lucky we are to still have a club

Many fans donated their wages ... It was a lesson to focus on what goes on off the pitch.

2 hours ago, RedRoss said:

Thank you very much for sharing .

One or two myths put to bed as well ! 

Many of us went through these times with the club and what we see now makes it all worthwhile.

When some of us panic over results just remember the pain we suffered before you jump on our posts ( not a euphemism ! ) 

26 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

He was wrong about the Newport game..........it was announced before that match! That's why we all went over thinking it was our LAST game !

In February 1982, what was expected to be the club's final game was at Newport County. Hordes of programme collectors descended to buy a copy of what would become a collector's item. The national T.V. news  showed the equaliser in the 1-1 draw and commentators asked "Will this be Bristol City's last goal?"

2 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Probably the most gloomy period in our history - dark days indeed!

Its hard to imagine how people can get a club into such a perilous state - wadd'ya say Mr Redknapp?

It was indeed gloomy but we had the perfect antidote - Terry Cooper as manager. He achieved miracles on a pittance and managed to inject a feeling of optimism. Although it was division 4, everyone felt confident that the only way was up with him as manager.  

2 hours ago, archie andrews said:

remember us being bottom at xmas 82 then winning at Hereford 3-1 boxing day iirc.......that was the turning point

Remember a lot of the Park End in fancy dress at that game. Pretty sure one of them got chucked out of one of their stands whilst dressed as a nun.

Surreal and in every way just another world from where we are now.

9 hours ago, handsofclay said:

For those of you who weren't around at the time I will tell a joke that just about summed up our rapid decline. For those who were around at the time, forgive me for repeating it here. Just to provide some background information, the Conference was called the Alliance in those days.

The joke was told not long before the 1982 biz, when we were struggling at the foot of DIv 3, having been relegated the season prior from Div 2 and the season before that from Div 1.

Clive Whitehead was walking through town one day when someone knocked him over the head. He slumped to the ground unconscious. Some passers by carried him into the nearby Alliance Building Society. When Whitehead eventually came round he asked where he was.

'You're in the Alliance,' came the reply.

'Jeez, what happened to Division Four!' Whitehead responded.

Clive Witehead was playing for West Brom when we were bottom of Div 3! Just saying. 

54 minutes ago, swanker said:

I can remember being on holiday in Corfu picking up a paper and reading City had been beaten 7-0 by Northampton. They were then bottom of the football league I think. Those were the days!

At least you're not claiming to be there. I reckon we took 37000 if all the I woz there stories are true. :laugh:. 

I reckon I can tell from who posts here who might have been. 

Love to see those who saw that like this post !!!!

Before my times but from what I've read, heard about it, the piece seems a very accurate one.

@miser Have a theory on that. Perhaps as you knew that in those dark days everyone was pure and total City.

No hangers on, no glory supporters. Those at the bottom and those fans who put their own cash in- they were the lifeblood.

As well as AG8, and the board- that few thousand hardcore...no them, no City today IMO.

Those fans who put the cash in- during a large recession too- they frankly should be honoured in some way. Perhaps a bar named after them?

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Before my times but from what I've read, heard about it, the piece seems a very accurate one.

@miser Have a theory on that. Perhaps as you knew that in those dark days everyone was pure and total City.

No hangers on, no glory supporters. Those at the bottom and those fans who put their own cash in- they were the lifeblood.

As well as AG8, and the board- that few thousand hardcore...no them, no City today IMO.

Those fans who put the cash in- during a large recession too- they frankly should be honoured in some way. Perhaps a bar named after them?

Don't knock the hangers on - we were all hanging on for dear life in those days ! 

10 hours ago, swanker said:

I can remember being on holiday in Corfu picking up a paper and reading City had been beaten 7-0 by Northampton. They were then bottom of the football league I think. Those were the days!

7-1, Swanker. Let's have it right. We might've been s**** back then, but not that s****. 

Archived