IGNORED

The story of Bristol City’s three relegations in 747 days

RedRoss

20 hours ago, Monkeh said:

this should be pinned, and anyone complaining about how bad it is on and off the field should be forced to read that and realize how lucky we are to still have a club

8 minutes ago, Chappers said:

I was at Northampton, and at Crewe for a 4-1 defeat. Dark times, but memorable and made me appreciate still having a club to support

I understand why these sentiments exist and you say these things, but how many clubs able to attract 15k to 20k crowds have ever disappeared, never to be seen again? Thinking like this held us back in the mid 80s and onwards, imho. I don't think for a minute SL thinks like this, not even last season. Indeed, from what he has said, he thought many similar thoughts to those "moaning" on here - ie, this is not good enough, we should be doing better.

He just had different thoughts about how to go about making it better - ie, get rid of poison like Tomlin; improve the recruitment, etc - and thank goodness it looks like we are getting there.

30 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

I understand why these sentiments exist and you say these things, but how many clubs able to attract 15k to 20k crowds have ever disappeared, never to be seen again? Thinking like this held us back in the mid 80s and onwards, imho. I don't think for a minute SL thinks like this, not even last season. Indeed, from what he has said, he thought many similar thoughts to those "moaning" on here - ie, this is not good enough, we should be doing better.

He just had different thoughts about how to go about making it better - ie, get rid of poison like Tomlin; improve the recruitment, etc - and thank goodness it looks like we are getting there.

I'm not just talking about on field things Jack, I'm talking about those who want LAnsdown gone, those who think we should be breaking the bank chasing the dream of the prem, those who think after 3 defeats that the club is going no where 

It makes fascinating historical reading even for those of us who lived through it.

There's something about Bristol City FC. I do think we support an almost uniquely fascinating club, not particularly successful of course, but never boring.

I'm proud to have supported the club, home and away, both in the 1st division, and throughout the years of decline.

I look back on those years as truly memorable times to support the club, despite how much we suffered as fans.

COYR's :city:

On 20/09/2017 at 12:21, RedRoss said:

Thought I'd share this article I have found..

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/09/20/the-story-of-bristol-citys-three-relegations-in-747-days/

Although this is way before my time I do enjoy reading about the clubs trials and tribulations and I am happy we came through this difficult period in our history.

Also got me thinking - What's the best book to cover our history in depth? I may have to purchase one.

Being born in 83 I (thankfully) missed this period of the clubs history but heard my dad speak about it many times. Reading that i now understand just what went on. Unbelievable really. Also makes you appreciate now just that bit more doesn't it.

The worst of times, the best of times.

Fantastic memory of the great Terry Cooper celebrating away at Chester with us fans.  My daughter, then a very small child, waved enthusiastically at Terry who waved back equally enthusiastically.  It really did feel we were all in it together that long ago Saturday afternoon in The North West.

COYR

On 9/20/2017 at 13:22, myol'man said:

Very honest and accurate report of the slide

21 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

He was wrong about the Newport game..........it was announced before that match! That's why we all went over thinking it was our LAST game !

I also feel he is a wrong about the long term contracts being the sole reason for our financial difficulties. I had an uncle who was associated with the club at that time and he said that a lot of the directors were milking the club for what they could get. Going to "THE BIG CLUBS"  and seeing the hospitality that was afforded them, they wanted to get the same treatment for themselves and their associates. Ridiculous amounts of money were spent on pre match lunches etc, and facilities at the club were expected to be offered free of charge, meaning that chances of commercial income were reduced.

18 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I also feel he is a wrong about the long term contracts being the sole reason for our financial difficulties. I had an uncle who was associated with the club at that time and he said that a lot of the directors were milking the club for what they could get. Going to "THE BIG CLUBS"  and seeing the hospitality that was afforded them, they wanted to get the same treatment for themselves and their associates. Ridiculous amounts of money were spent on pre match lunches etc, and facilities at the club were expected to be offered free of charge, meaning that chances of commercial income were reduced.

So it all comes down to pies . 

39 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Absolutely this ! That shyster Stephen Kew and to a certain extent Houghton ripped off the club.

Big meals at the best restaurants, Houghton's expensive Havana cigars all bought on the club's expense account. Not saying that was the only reason but went a long way toward it !

5 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

The worst of times, the best of times.

Fantastic memory of the great Terry Cooper celebrating away at Chester with us fans.  My daughter, then a very small child, waved enthusiastically at Terry who waved back equally enthusiastically.  It really did feel we were all in it together that long ago Saturday afternoon in The North West.

COYR

could have sworn chester was a Monday?

21 hours ago, swanker said:

I can remember being on holiday in Corfu picking up a paper and reading City had been beaten 7-0 by Northampton. They were then bottom of the football league I think. Those were the days!

No, it was 7-1. I was there with my wife and when Glyn Riley scored to make it 5-1, I jumped up in the stand and was promptly told to sit down by "her indoors".

I bought shares for £80 when I only had £89 in the savings. Again incurred the wrath of her ...... and I replied that if it helped save the club I had supported since I was six years old, that would mean that the young kids of tomorrow would still have a City team to follow.

Some of us did what SL will never do. Many, over 2,000 of us bought shares, put in everything we had. That is not a criticism of SL but just a reminder to those who have joined since then, how much this club meant to us and for me it still does.

So, younger ones, maybe now you will understand how scared we were last season from October until March that we were spiralling out of control in the same way that we went from 8th in Division One in October 1959 to 92nd in the Football League in December 1982.

City for 68 years and City 'til I die.

4 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Absolutely this ! That shyster Stephen Kew and to a certain extent Houghton ripped off the club.

Big meals at the best restaurants, Houghton's expensive Havana cigars all bought on the club's expense account. Not saying that was the only reason but went a long way toward it !

And the big stache of expensive wine found at the Gate after Houghton was sacked.

I'll add this to my previous post. AD is in many ways, the best manager of my time, getting a team of mostly home bred boys, to the First Division and keeping us there for four years.

But his over the top reaction to Collier leaving was one of the major factors in "the 1982" saga. Plus of course, the obvious fiddling of income by too many on the board and senior admin. A gate of 36,000 against Man U declared as 27,000 is just one of many examples.

So, because he worked so hard in every way to save the club after the bankruptcy, Terry Cooper is my choice as the greatest manager of my lifetime. An absolutely top City legend.

21 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I'll add this to my previous post. AD is in many ways, the best manager of my time, getting a team of mostly home bred boys, to the First Division and keeping us there for four years.

But his over the top reaction to Collier leaving was one of the major factors in "the 1982" saga. Plus of course, the obvious fiddling of income by too many on the board and senior admin. A gate of 36,000 against Man U declared as 27,000 is just one of many examples.

So, because he worked so hard in every way to save the club after the bankruptcy, Terry Cooper is my choice as the greatest manager of my lifetime. An absolutely top City legend.

Well said, Dicks achievements were simple outstanding. The Collier situation was certainly the catalyst for the downfall. Still good to recall the TC days, in particular I still savour our FA Cup win at Eastville when Rovers were in the division above and they went 1 up before we came back to win 1-2 with a late Martyn Hirst goal (a student at the time I recall)...https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwixhdjRkbfWAhXFBcAKHR4gBFgQtwIILTAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-rxBCAc8Ck0&usg=AFQjCNF_foxRzmJLm6pKUA0WBAhyCcI3wA

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 20:20, archie andrews said:

remember us being bottom at xmas 82 then winning at Hereford 3-1 boxing day iirc.......that was the turning point

remember this just don't think it was boxing day. it was a night match between christmas and new year, remember parking up and we were parked next to the ref one of our van load said if we don't win we know where your car is. Happy days like you say that was the turning point.

13 minutes ago, robofwells said:

remember this just don't think it was boxing day. it was a night match between christmas and new year, remember parking up and we were parked next to the ref one of our van load said if we don't win we know where your car is. Happy days like you say that was the turning point.

Tuesday 28th December - fancy dress, newt eating and a great night !

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

No, it was 7-1. I was there with my wife and when Glyn Riley scored to make it 5-1, I jumped up in the stand and was promptly told to sit down by "her indoors".

I bought shares for £80 when I only had £89 in the savings. Again incurred the wrath of her ...... and I replied that if it helped save the club I had supported since I was six years old, that would mean that the young kids of tomorrow would still have a City team to follow.

Some of us did what SL will never do. Many, over 2,000 of us bought shares, put in everything we had. That is not a criticism of SL but just a reminder to those who have joined since then, how much this club meant to us and for me it still does.

So, younger ones, maybe now you will understand how scared we were last season from October until March that we were spiralling out of control in the same way that we went from 8th in Division One in October 1959 to 92nd in the Football League in December 1982.

This makes you a proper City legend imo. Full marks, top man. 

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 17:46, slartibartfast said:

He was wrong about the Newport game..........it was announced before that match! That's why we all went over thinking it was our LAST game !

remember standing on that sandpit of a terrace thinking god what a dump to be playing our last game, the atmosphere was incredible that day though really thought we would never all meet up again, said goodbye to a lot of people that day not expecting to see them again, thank god for the ashton gate eight heroes every one. 

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

No, I'm just one of thousands.

Was sat in Alicante airport last week (with a City shirt on) waiting for a pick up.

Old guy, well my age walks in to pay for the car park. He has a tee shirt on with Bristol City till I Die on the front, we just looked at each other and gave that knowing smile that we both support the greatest club on EARTH!!!

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

This makes you a proper City legend imo. Full marks, top man. 

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Fully agree with CiderinACan's sentiments about you, but intrigued to know if "the wrath of her" still with you?

Because if she is, more praise to you and even more so to "er in doors"

7 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

No, I'm just one of thousands.

Then ALL are legends. Don't do yourself a disservice.

I still have the Support Bristol City Football Club Now. Or never. share issue prospectus from those dark days and whilst I was only 9 I'd already got the bug and can remember the sense of fear that City really weren't that much longer for this world.

Thankfully, the club survived and we should all be grateful to the Ashton Gate 8, the new directors who enabled the Phoenix to rise from the ashes and, in no small way, to fans like you, @cidered aboroad, for your actions as described. 

It's difficult to explain those times to recent fans. The rot started in Div 1, an aging side, key players departed, and signing a midfielder who was not known for scoring was folly. Then it just became a downward spiral, as the actions of the spicy directors became apparent, and all the hangers on started jumping ship. What was left was a core of fans who still believed in the club, and still supported the club. The new board worked hard to rescue the club, the fans did their bit, and we survived, albeit battered. It started badly in Div 4, but one of the key signings was Forbes Phillipson-Masters, finally adding steel at the back. I remember travelling to Rochdale, and at the end of the day, we were 92nd in the League. The only way was up. Cooper was a legend, working with massive constraints, never complaining, always happy to chat to fans, shrewd signings, and above all, positive football. The key was the unity between club and fans. The two moments that stand out were Martin Hirsts goal ( That shut the ****ers up) and Wembley. I missed Chester due to a very badly planned holiday!!!! To put into perspective, 18 years between collapse and last time we lost to the Gas in the League. By the end of this season it will be 18 years since we lost to the Gas in the League. They mocked, but now it's Mind the Gap.

I have a question.

I know it was freshly after relegation and doubtless attendances dropped off. I also know of the hooliganism issues in football at the time and attendances dropping across the board due to this, lot less cash in the game, no parachute payments and so on. I know all the differences.

However, had Alan Dicks been kept on, might that have stemmed the slide? Enabled a steadyish transition back to our normal position to that point- say middle to lower end 2nd tier- with the disaster that resulted?

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I have a question.

I know it was freshly after relegation and doubtless attendances dropped off. I also know of the hooliganism issues in football at the time and attendances dropping across the board due to this, lot less cash in the game, no parachute payments and so on. I know all the differences.

However, had Alan Dicks been kept on, might that have stemmed the slide? Enabled a steadyish transition back to our normal position to that point- say middle to lower end 2nd tier- with the disaster that resulted?

How longs a piece of string?

No one will know the answer but looking at the modern clubs who get into money troubles then I'd air on the side of no, he wouldn't of stopped it, the off field issues was just to much of a distraction for everyone involved with the club

Archived