IGNORED

One of the keys to our successful start this season

Doherty's Boy

I have to say this season I have been really impressed with the energy all of theplayers are putting in especially the last few games. 

But I have looked into it and so far this season in all competitions we have had 12 players who have scored and that's not even a quarter of the way through the season. Compare that to the entirety of last season it was 16 I think there are many players who can contribute more goals this season and we could easily pass that.

Much credit has to go to LJ and his backroom staff and the transfer policy.

Last season, his first full one as head coach was a roller coaster ride for sure but looking back now it's clear that he had a strategy and way of playing he wanted to employ but didn't know what players best suited said style or whether he actually had the players to implement it. Hence so many team changes which prompted negative comments like "he doesn't know his best 11"

Since then things have moved on and LJ now has essentially two squads of players capable of playing his high energy, high pressing game and this season has begun well. 

In the last  two games City have played two different starting 11s (only Flint and Diedhiou played both)  and won both. The depth of the squad is excellent and bodes well for the season.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

"he doesn't know his best 11"

To be fair to him, I doubt he does now. I don't.

But that is because so many are playing so wel, it is a selection headache.

(A nice headache rather than one of those migraine ones where you are bed ridden and throw up over yourself).

Going to have to disagree with this point.

After 10 competitive games last season we had had 9 different scorers. Not that much of a difference.

The difference this season is it's a team well drilled, harder to beat, more passionate and willing to work for one another, going little and large up front, the fans producing a blinding atmosphere at home, Frank Fielding in good form, heads not dropping and Bobby Reid.

Either way, I'll take it!

6 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

(A nice headache rather than one of those migraine ones where you are bed ridden and throw up over yourself).

He probably doesn't know his "best" 11. In fact I doubt that he looks at the squad in that way. 

No doubt he has a core of starters. FF, Baker, Flint, Wright, Bryan. Reid and Diedhiou. The other places are up for grabs and competition for places is a healthy asset to have.

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He probably doesn't know his "best" 11. In fact I doubt that he looks at the squad in that way. 

No doubt he has a core of starters. FF, Baker, Flint, Wright, Bryan. Reid and Diedhiou. The other places are up for grabs and competition for places is a healthy asset to have.

This is going to be the interesting one, because I strongly suspect that before his injury Pissano was another of the core of starters, and only his absence through injury has meant that LJ has moved Wright out to RB, thereby accommodating Flint alongside Baker in the centre.

What will LJ do when PIssano is fit again?

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

This is going to be the interesting one, because I strongly suspect that before his injury Pissano was another of the core of starters, and only his absence through injury has meant that LJ has moved Wright out to RB, thereby accommodating Flint alongside Baker in the centre.

What will LJ do when PIssano is fit again?

Have one hell of a headache. 

I think we could rotate centre backs based upon who the opposition has upfront, Flint to be used when the opposition have a target man for example.

1 hour ago, EmersonsRed said:

Going to have to disagree with this point.

After 10 competitive games last season we had had 9 different scorers. Not that much of a difference.

The difference this season is it's a team well drilled, harder to beat, more passionate and willing to work for one another, going little and large up front, the fans producing a blinding atmosphere at home, Frank Fielding in good form, heads not dropping and Bobby Reid.

Either way, I'll take it!

Whilst I agree with your stated improvements, I don't think you can just discount an increase in goalscorers of 33% as being "Not much of a difference" 

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Whilst I agree with your stated improvements, I don't think you can just discount an increase in goalscorers of 33% as being "Not much of a difference" 

I could be wrong here - so happy to be corrected, but I believe in the opening 10 fixtures last season we only played 20 players. This season we have used 27. Finding 3 extra scorers in 7 players isn't too difficult. Our squad depth compared to last season is incredible, look at our line-up at Wycombe (EFL cup round 1) last season: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36949819

This season first round v Plymouth: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40785768

Vyner, Kelly, Morrell and Hinds all got on the pitch!

More players = more different scorers :)

14 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

33% with a sample size so small leaves plenty of room for error. 

A boiled egg is still a boiled egg!

11 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

I could be wrong here - so happy to be corrected, but I believe in the opening 10 fixtures last season we only played 20 players. This season we have used 27. Finding 3 extra scorers in 7 players isn't too difficult. Our squad depth compared to last season is incredible, look at our line-up at Wycombe (EFL cup round 1) last season: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36949819

This season first round v Plymouth: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40785768

Vyner, Kelly, Morrell and Hinds all got on the pitch!

More players = more different scorers :)

I think that was kind of his point. We have more players worthy of game time and more of them have scored goals. 33% more. 

6 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

Or maybe the same sort of headache Mrs Mad Cyril always claims she has at bedtime?

6 hours ago, john from high littleton said:

My only worry is if and when we drop out of all cup matches, how will we be able to keep all the players happy? 

His biggest headache ATM  I'd guess 

Going to need some juggling and good man management 

Nice if it's the biggest problem though ! 

My worry with this "high press" approach is that it must be taking an affect on the players.  For example, Bobby Reid simply can't go on running around like he is.

I suspect the ProZone stats will indicate when the players are dropping off or not tracking back.  Hopefully, it identifies this before we all notice!

3 minutes ago, Chivs said:

My worry with this "high press" approach is that it must be taking an affect on the players.  For example, Bobby Reid simply can't go on running around like he is.

I suspect the ProZone stats will indicate when the players are dropping off or not tracking back.  Hopefully, it identifies this before we all notice!

Hence why we have a big squad 

5 minutes ago, Chivs said:

Not sure I agree. Reid is young, clearly super fit and being rotated. If he was 30+ I might agree but think he's fine for the moment. 

Now Taylor is back we've got a good alternative if he needs it.

9 minutes ago, Chivs said:

They do Chivs - show how many runs , how far , acceleration etc etc

Add to things like blood tests etc they will be aware when his figures drop , if they do,  and will even influence substitutions

12 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Hence why we have a big squad 

Let's not kid ourselves that our second team is as good as our first.  Granted, they all played fantastically yesterday but Vyner is no Pissano and Magnússon is no Bryan.

I'm fearful that we will lose some momentum in November/December.

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not sure I agree. Reid is young, clearly super fit and being rotated. If he was 30+ I might agree but think he's fine for the moment. 

Now Taylor is back we've got a good alternative if he needs it.

Taylor for Reid is a good replacement!

9 minutes ago, Chivs said:

Let's not kid ourselves that our second team is as good as our first.  Granted, they all played fantastically yesterday but Vyner is no Pissano and Magnússon is no Bryan.

I'm fearful that we will lose some momentum in November/December.

Taylor for Reid is a good replacement!

As seen before vyner probably wouldn't play there anyway , Wright has played the last two league games right back. Mags isn't as good as joe going forward but is currently Icelandic left back . Fearful ? Really ? We're in a much stronger position this season and think we'll be comfortable mid table.

Archived