IGNORED

Super White Army Banner

Super

16 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Totally serious and disappointed by fellow Bristolians.

Why does Bristol always have to live up or down to its image as a backwater? Do they not have racist awareness courses in the city ?  

Indeed, attempts at PC indoctrination fly at us from all sides - even including from you on the City forum it appears.

Many of us retain the common sense to see the absurdity of it all, and reject it.

20 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Why does Bristol always have to live up or down to its image as a backwater? Do they not have racist awareness courses in the city ?  

That`s not what this is about though is it? I would think that the vast majority of us on here aren`t racist, sexist or any other sort of ist you care to mention. What this is about is the sheer ridiculousness of things like this and how they have a negative effect on equality and tolerance and set the cause(s) back years.

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Indeed, attempts at PC indoctrination fly at us from all sides - even including from you on the City forum it appears.

Many of us retain the common sense to see the absurdity of it all, and reject it.

The thing that’s particularly odd to me is that I believe Ivorguy is 85+ maybe even 90+.

I don’t know many people of that age who hold unnecessarily PC opinions about something so absurd as this. 

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The thing that’s particularly odd to me is that I believe Ivorguy is 85+ maybe even 90+.

I don’t know many people of that age who hold unnecessarily PC opinions about something so absurd as this. 

Plus, I believe he lives in Suffolk, a lot less racially mixed and far more of a 'backwater' than Bristol.

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

My own estimation of Ivor's age would be more like mid 70's but, yes, unusually strong PC views for that generation.

On 21/09/2017 at 17:36, RichardEdd said:

I think its still a crazy overreaction, but I think it has more to do with England Women playing in front of the sign after everything that has been going on than the sign being seen as racist in isolation. I don't think they're removing it, it sounds like it was just covered for the England game. 

One of their best ever players was called White.

I am not 85+ and I do not live in East Anglia!  I have worked for many years of my professional life in Manchester and London, incidentally.  For those who fail to see their own racism or homophobia (chanting against Brighton for example) or sexism (which is so widespread on otib that many fail to see how offensive it is) -  that is the real problem here. We do not live in some glorious imagined 1950swhen such views were common, and Bristol was overwhelmingly white - I know I lived there.

Age has nothing, by the way, to do with an individual's attitudes and outlook.  Not all us oldies voted Brexit, for example, and not all of us are racist etc.

8 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I am not 85+ and I do not live in East Anglia!

My apologies, I always thought you were of that age for some reason 

For those who fail to see their own racism or homophobia (chanting against Brighton for example) or sexism (which is so widespread on otib that many fail to see how offensive it is) -  that is the real problem here. We do not live in some glorious imagined 1950swhen such views were common, and Bristol was overwhelmingly white - I know I lived there.

There’s barely any chanting at games you could class as ‘homophobic’ or ‘racist’

Bristol is not ‘overwhelmingly’ white

I think sometimes there are some slightly dated views on here that could be described as ‘sexist’ at a real push but again not really. It’s hardly prevelant.

Age has nothing, by the way, to do with an individual's attitudes and outlook.  Not all us oldies voted Brexit, for example, and not all of us are racist etc.

Nothing to do with Brexit and no ones saying older people are ‘racist’.

In general though older people are far less likely to pay much attention to unnecessary political correctness and modern SJW offence about just about anything. Think that’s a fair comment.

Going back to the matter at hand - can you explain why exactly you think the banner at Tranmere could be offensive? 

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

So do you honestly believe that supporters of a team that play in white shouldn't be using the term ''White Army'

4 minutes ago, Big C said:

So do you honestly believe that supporters of a team that play in white shouldn't be using the term ''White Army'

1 The term used is Super White Army - a phrase redolent of white supremacists, as The FA acknowledge

2 Yes of course I believe such banners to be racist. It is the perception of them not the intention behind them

11 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

1 The term used is Super White Army - a phrase redolent of white supremacists, as The FA acknowledge

2 Yes of course I believe such banners to be racist. It is the perception of them not the intention behind them

Perhaps you are over focussed on matters of race and therefore racist yourself, very much like some people in the "equality industry"I had the misfortune to come across professionally.

Please could you provide evidence of the phrase "super white army" ever being used i  the context of white supremacists.

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

So what you are saying then that any supporter of Tranmere, Spurs, Swansea or any other team that plays in white are being racist when they use Super in referring to the colour of their shirts? I guess Newcastle and Notts County fans can sleep a bit easier 

1 hour ago, Big C said:

So what you are saying then that any supporter of Tranmere, Spurs, Swansea or any other team that plays in white are being racist when they use Super in referring to the colour of their shirts? I guess Newcastle and Notts County fans can sleep a bit easier 

My point was not about the word Super but the word Army.

With that correction to your post, you have got the point I am making.

I won't  comment on this further.  It becomes too boring and rather like Brexit there is no quick way of changing people's prejudiced opinions.

To borrow a phrase, Goodnight, Irene!

11 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

My point was not about the word Super but the word Army.

With that correction to your post, you have got the point I am making.

I won't  comment on this further.  It becomes too boring and rather like Brexit there is no quick way of changing people's prejudiced opinions.

To borrow a phrase, Goodnight, Irene!

Just need some clarification so are we able to use Red Army or Cider Army on Tuesday? And if so if Bolton respond with White Army we can legitimately call them Racist?

Archived