IGNORED

EFL

Red Army 75

The rules about playing strongest teams at all times were introduced in bygone days a long time ago when even clubs at the upper end of the First Division, had a first team that only changed for injuries, the rare suspensions, players away on international duty and loss of form. The reserves team that played in the Central League or Football Combination was exactly what it was called. A reserve team, a second team if some older has beens and young ones, hoping to make it.

The situation now is completely different. Even City's squad of around twenty six has current internationals who at this moment are not regarded as automatic choices for us but are continually chosen to play for their country

Assuming everyone of our squad were fit, we could have played a side against Stoke in which none of the starting eleven had played against Derby, yet with maybe one or two exceptions, could be considered as strong.

So, I say, allow clubs to field a team of anyone they want from their first team squad, irrespective of who it contains.

40 minutes ago, gordie said:

Also suggesting in cup games 10 players from the previous game should be named on the team sheet. I assume it means named in the squad and not to start the game.

Can't see that being agreed. The PL is all that matters to the bigger PL clubs, they only start taking the cups seriously when / if they get to the later stages.

I also suspect that their support feel the same way.

The fact the season ticket holders have to fork out for cup games influences it too given the cost involved 

34 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The rules about playing strongest teams at all times were introduced in bygone days a long time ago when even clubs at the upper end of the First Division, had a first team that only changed for injuries, the rare suspensions, players away on international duty and loss of form. The reserves team that played in the Central League or Football Combination was exactly what it was called. A reserve team, a second team if some older has beens and young ones, hoping to make it.

The situation now is completely different. Even City's squad of around twenty six has current internationals who at this moment are not regarded as automatic choices for us but are continually chosen to play for their country

Assuming everyone of our squad were fit, we could have played a side against Stoke in which none of the starting eleven had played against Derby, yet with maybe one or two exceptions, could be considered as strong.

So, I say, allow clubs to field a team of anyone they want from their first team squad, irrespective of who it contains.

I agree andI have to wonder whether they would be leaving themselves open to some sort of legal challenge from players groups. It's almost a restriction of trade for those who are not regular players, clubs would have to consider whether it's worth having a large squad if they can't rotate players and this could mean players being forced out of work.

1 hour ago, gordie said:

Also suggesting in cup games 10 players from the previous game should be named on the team sheet. I assume it means named in the squad and not to start the game.

Why? That's what clubs have squads for!

It's surely up to each club to select the team they wish too, from the squad of players that they pay a lot of money for. 

1 hour ago, gordie said:

Were they? The quote from the article on our official site spoke only about league games:

"Today, Clubs were asked to support the implementation of guidance on the following basis: ‘From the fourth Thursday in March, any team sheet for a League game should include at least 10 outfield players who featured on the team sheet for the League game before.’

Clubs indicated they were in support of amending the policy guidance and a formal vote will now take place at the February Club meeting."

It's to do with the 'issue' of clubs playing weakened teams towards the end of a league season once their own position is secured.

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Were they? The quote from the article on our official site spoke only about league games:

"Today, Clubs were asked to support the implementation of guidance on the following basis: ‘From the fourth Thursday in March, any team sheet for a League game should include at least 10 outfield players who featured on the team sheet for the League game before.’

Clubs indicated they were in support of amending the policy guidance and a formal vote will now take place at the February Club meeting."

It's to do with the 'issue' of clubs playing weakened teams towards the end of a league season once their own position is secured.

A complete waste of time, like the unenforceable driving laws they keep coming up with. I'll bet every player by March is carrying an injury of some kind, any medical team worth their salt will be able to make a case for not playing any player that they want to rest.

21 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

A complete waste of time, like the unenforceable driving laws they keep coming up with. I'll bet every player by March is carrying an injury of some kind, any medical team worth their salt will be able to make a case for not playing any player that they want to rest.

Or, as we have seen with the attempt at this sort of thing in the Checkatrade Trophy, clubs will just ignore it and hand over the £3,000 fine.

It's not necessary anyway IMO. If you're safe by March then you're entitled to use your squad.

29 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Yep, negligence to play a fatigued player. 

Play who you want when you want. It’s not your fault that another club is in relegation trouble and relying on you to get a result. 

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yes I may have misunderstood but I read this and assumed that was what it meant and it says competition

Following the widespread attention surrounding the matter of team selection received in the closing weeks of the 2016/17 season, it was determined at the Summer Conference in June that the EFL would work up a policy to determine what constitutes a ‘full strength’ team to remove any ambiguity and further potential reputational damage to the EFL and its competitions.

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Thanks for pointing out the actual quote/scenario. I thought the subject was only related to EFL League Cup games

I can see where that is coming from, I assume the Birmingham v Huddersfield game last season as the prime recent example, but wonder if my comments are still valid. We could at the moment play two totally different starting elevens which could be of the same "standard" as each other. Other posters, please don't come back and nit pick on that comment about individual players, as it is meant to be a statement that it would be very difficult for the EFL to prove that one is weaker than the other,  irrespective of who played in the previous match. 

Is there much point in 'closing' the transfer window but allowing loans?

Clubs would just do loan deals with the obligation to buy, it's exactly the same as signing a player. There will always be a way around it unless the rules are black and white.

Shut the window before the season starts and that's the end of it. 

Archived