IGNORED

Andy Mitten's piece on Bristol City

erndogz

I still don't get this North of the River stuff. Unless things have changed dramatically since the 70's, the north west quarter of Bristol was at worse 50:50.  

Clifton, Stoke Bishop, WoT, Sea Mills, Shire, Avonmouth, Lawrence Wesson, Cotham and even Horfield were predominantly City. In fact wasn't there a bit of edginess between sizeable groups of 'Meaders' and Knowle West in the East End on occasions. 

Maybe it was the people I mixed with or my, now, failing memory, that leads me to this belief.

The ghettos East of Gloucester Road was always where the dark side resided.

8 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

I still don't get this North of the River stuff. Unless things have changed dramatically since the 70's, the north west quarter of Bristol was at worse 50:50.  

Clifton, Stoke Bishop, WoT, Sea Mills, Shire, Avonmouth, Lawrence Wesson, Cotham and even Horfield were predominantly City. In fact wasn't there a bit of edginess between sizeable groups of 'Meaders' and Knowle West in the East End on occasions. 

Maybe it was the people I mixed with or my failing memory.

The ghettos East of Gloucester Road was where the dark side resided.

Being a " meader" myself back then,I can concur that was in fact the case,there never was a clear north /south divide.

6 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Clifton, Stoke Bishop, WoT, Sea Mills, Shire, Avonmouth, Lawrence Wesson, Cotham and even Horfield were predominantly City.

Maybe it was the groups I mixed with!

Certainly now.

The current Mrs P works at Cribbs so I end up stopping there around 3 times a week for an hour, iv been really happily surprised to regularly see 2 or 3 different kids (anywhere from 8 to 20 years old) each time walking around with city merchandise on and easily outnumbering the merchandise on show from big prem teams, but dont see anything from Rovers ever which i would prefer to prem stuff.

9 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Clifton, Stoke Bishop, WoT, Sea Mills, Shire, Avonmouth, Lawrence Wesson, Cotham and even Horfield were predominantly City.

Maybe it was the groups I mixed with!

Can only speak for the 4 places I've highlighted, as I've spent all of my 48 years living in one or the other, but as you say, at worst 50:50.

In terms of the City core areas I would suggest:

• South Bristol
  • North Somerset
  • Decent areas of Somerset proper
  • Some South Gloucs.

Clearly the North of the River won't be pure that other side- how can it be with their current and indeed last 16 years at least- but moreso than the areas above IMO. Less City there I would have thought, though Shirehampton definitely fairly decent City I would have thought. Clifton would make sense for City also as it's walking distance to AG.

As an aside, and again perhaps it's changing now but for somewhile incomers- who were neutral- seemed to have more sympathy with the aforementioned other side. Unsure why it is/was really but found that with those I knew.

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In terms of the City core areas I would suggest:

• South Bristol
  • North Somerset
  • Decent areas of Somerset proper
  • Some South Gloucs.

Clearly the North of the River won't be pure that other side- how can it be with their current and indeed last 16 years at least- but moreso than the areas above IMO. Less City there I would have thought, though Shirehampton definitely fairly decent City I would have thought. Clifton would make sense for City also as it's walking distance to AG.

As an aside, and again perhaps it's changing now but for somewhile incomers- who were neutral- seemed to have more sympathy with the aforementioned other side. Unsure why it is/was really but found that with those I knew.

I live in Horfield and there plenty of city fans around here and even in Filton I think people living in south Bristol would be surprised by how many of us live oop north. 

55 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Maybe it was the people I mixed with or my, now, failing memory, that leads me to this belief.

in my recollection the dividing line went up whiteladies road along along colharbour lane and henleaze road up Southmead road to Filton. I went to St Johns Primary at the top of Blackboy Hill in late 60's early 70's and if you left through one gate you were rovers and another gate you were city. I would imagine the north west/south v east is no longer as concentrated as it was

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

Agreed - grew up in Lawrence Weston and no one I knew liked them, whereas quite a few were City fans.

Shirehampton seems the same, and recently lived/live in WoT and Brentry areas, where again seems more City than anything, and my workplace (central) is majority City if anything.

The "less fortunate" fans I know all live in the Mangotsfield/Downend areas...

3 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Pretty much red round these yer parts. Blue few I know are scattered from Bishopston, Keynsham and Longwell Green. And only one of them actually goes to games!

To be fair the Mangotsfield ones were/are just one big family - if anyone remembers a large classy family that fought outside their house often, over such important issues as who was going to carve the Sunday roast, that's them.

All fans of the "prowed quarters".

And unfortunately related to me... :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

KW and Southmead certainly didn't get on, not as bad as the hatred between KW and Hartcliffe at the time though

2 hours ago, pillred said:

where does it say 78, 82 it says 4 year spell 76, 80 which is correct.

See post #28 - the article has been edited after comments were posted on here....it said 1978-1982 originally and it also said 'Bristol hasn't had a top flight club since 1982' originally, it's good to see it has been updated to be correct. So a good article is now even better...

23 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

See post #28 - the article has been edited after comments were posted on here....it said 1978-1982 originally and it also said 'Bristol hasn't had a top flight club since 1982' originally, it's good to see it has been updated to be correct. So a good article is now even better...

hadn't realised it had been altered only saw the revised edition, nice to see he realised his mistake.

44 minutes ago, pillred said:

hadn't realised it had been altered only saw the revised edition, nice to see he realised his mistake.

Although it still says "Bristol has not had a top flight team since 1982..." - I really dislike lazy journalism....yep he has corrected our top flight stint to "1976-1980" but hasn't bothered to correct the erroneous "1982" stat - we were in the bloody third then fourth division then!

2 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

in my recollection the dividing line went up whiteladies road along along colharbour lane and henleaze road up Southmead road to Filton. I went to St Johns Primary at the top of Blackboy Hill in late 60's early 70's and if you left through one gate you were rovers and another gate you were city. I would imagine the north west/south v east is no longer as concentrated as it was

Wow! That's pretty much nailed on.

Got threatened in Redland by a number of Gas - don't recall walking through a school gate en route to the scene of the ambush though! 

Archived