IGNORED

Andy Mitten's piece on Bristol City

erndogz

4 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

I still don't get this North of the River stuff. Unless things have changed dramatically since the 70's, the north west quarter of Bristol was at worse 50:50.  

Clifton, Stoke Bishop, WoT, Sea Mills, Shire, Avonmouth, Lawrence Wesson, Cotham and even Horfield were predominantly City. In fact wasn't there a bit of edginess between sizeable groups of 'Meaders' and Knowle West in the East End on occasions. 

Maybe it was the people I mixed with or my, now, failing memory, that leads me to this belief.

The ghettos East of Gloucester Road was always where the dark side resided.

I remember the Rovers website used to have an FAQ on it and one of the Qs was where are the heartlands for the two clubs?

From memory it said there were very few Gas in S Bristol apart from Hartcliffe (must say that was news to me that they have a lot of fans there!) and that the NW of the city had a slight majority in favour of City. 

You're right though, the north-south divide is obviously an oversimplification or the numbers watching each team would be a lot closer.

City have a surprisingly large catchment area too - most of Somerset and parts of Wiltshire (including yours truly :) )

21 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

I remember the Rovers website used to have an FAQ on it and one of the Qs was where are the heartlands for the two clubs?

From memory it said there were very few Gas in S Bristol apart from Hartcliffe (must say that was news to me that they have a lot of fans there!) and that the NW of the city had a slight majority in favour of City. 

You're right though, the north-south divide is obviously an oversimplification or the numbers watching each team would be a lot closer.

City have a surprisingly large catchment area too - most of Somerset and parts of Wiltshire (including yours truly :) )

I`d love to see a breakdown by postcode of ST holders.

I doubt there will be many others in mine though - EX20!

5 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Although it still says "Bristol has not had a top flight team since 1982..." - I really dislike lazy journalism....yep he has corrected our top flight stint to "1976-1980" but hasn't bothered to correct the erroneous "1982" stat - we were in the bloody third then fourth division then!

don't remind me!!

• Admin
5 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Although it still says "Bristol has not had a top flight team since 1982..." - I really dislike lazy journalism....yep he has corrected our top flight stint to "1976-1980" but hasn't bothered to correct the erroneous "1982" stat - we were in the bloody third then fourth division then!

Still true though, we haven't ;) 

4 hours ago, WessexPest said:

Definitely West Wiltshire for sure. Westbury at one point had its own supporters club and Warminster was where the great John Atyeo taught. Aside from Melksham I'd say in the other 4 Towns there are more City than Swindon or Rovers.

Saints have a good following in West Wilts oddly too.

7 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

Definitely West Wiltshire for sure. Westbury at one point had its own supporters club and Warminster was where the great John Atyeo taught. Aside from Melksham I'd say in the other 4 Towns there are more City than Swindon or Rovers.

Saints have a good following in West Wilts oddly too.

I'm originally from Devizes and sadly I'd say there are more Swindon there but Melksham definitely a few Reds around.

@TheCulturalBomb 

Tbh talking about Four Four Two...we were well touted across the board in the runup to 15/16.

I remember after the 6-0 at Bradford seeing some odds of us to win this League at 25/1 or 30/1.

The theory was generally good manager, such a dominant season, good young squad, should be a hard away game.

Plus momentum and confidence..all that put together, meant we were seen as possible dark horses in many places.

15 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

Wow! That's pretty much nailed on.

Got threatened in Redland by a number of Gas - don't recall walking through a school gate en route to the scene of the ambush though! 

I grew up in Redland, and can remember the local Rovers firm, Dapper and The Hoods, in the late 70's and early 80's. Quite a scary bunch they were too, with the leader, Dapper, shaped like a wedge! 

5 hours ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I grew up in Redland, and can remember the local Rovers firm, Dapper and The Hoods, in the late 70's and early 80's. Quite a scary bunch they were too, with the leader, Dapper, shaped like a wedge! 

Read an article in the Independent I think it was a few years ago now - had an article on the notorious Bourneville Estate in WSM, said a lot of the ne'er do wells who made the estate a grim place to live in the 80s were Rovers hooligans.

Surprised as I though Weston was a City stronghold for sure.

1 hour ago, WessexPest said:

Read an article in the Independent I think it was a few years ago now - had an article on the notorious Bourneville Estate in WSM, said a lot of the ne'er do wells who made the estate a grim place to live in the 80s were Rovers hooligans.

Surprised as I though Weston was a City stronghold for sure.

A lot of the Bourneville was built post war as new housing to replace the bombed bits of Bristol so maybe more families of the dark persuasion moved there? I`ve no idea if North/East Bristol got hit worse than South/West but I`m sure someone on here does.

4 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

A lot of the Bourneville was built post war as new housing to replace the bombed bits of Bristol so maybe more families of the dark persuasion moved there? I`ve no idea if North/East Bristol got hit worse than South/West but I`m sure someone on here does.

Bit like shipping our ' unwanted ' over to an Australian Colony I guess 

On 22/09/2017 at 20:36, WessexPest said:

There are no more Gas in Hartcliffe than any other South Bristol estate, more BS from their forum

Archived