IGNORED

Belief.......Ooooh That Feels Nice

All looking very promising now and very exciting.

For the me progress would be establishing ourselves as a good team at this level with potential to kick on. Something we haven't done since Andy Cole was here. 

There is a confidence and a style to us that to my mind gives this group the edge over Gary Johnson's play off team, who for all the positive results, always felt like we were somehow grinding results out through sheer bloody mindedness, with no real long-term plan and the impending realisation that the bubble would burst at any minute.

This feels completely different. 

Our first 2 years back at this level were really not very good (I'll refrain from swraring) littered with some of the worst performances I've seen. You can debate whether Cottrell or Johnson should have been sacked at those times and I feel the body of work presented would have made few eyebrows raise when Cottrell did go and if Johnson would have gone.

I sometimes think we confuse the personal with the material. I liked Lee as a player and am sure he's a nice guy, I don't think it was unfair to question his position during the first 18 months. The same goes for Steve Lansdown. I am truly grateful for his financial commitment but don't think it was unfair to question his tenure over the past 15 years, given all the false dawns and the club's obscurity and failures during the period.

Enough of that now though. Whilst it was fair to question and hold a negative viewpoint of the club during this time (and I certainly don't think apologies are needed for them) the vast majority (myself included) all still believed and hoped, to some extent, as we all still followed and loved the club. I have brainwashed three children during this period, so i must have believed in something!

Lee has been allowed to shape and mould his team since then and this season has created a squad and style that fills me with more comfidence and hope than i have felt in long time. 

Lee Johnson deserves credit and praise for this and whilst I think it's fair to be negative at times, it only has weight if it is objective and balanced be being positive when clearly that is the case.

The other factor this period will bring is time. As Ole has pointed out, yes we had good spells last year in respect of points, but anyone who watched those will know the performances were still poor and there was no sense of progress or a team building for the future.

This is different and this will allow Lee Johnson time and have something to point to that demonstrates what he and the club are trying to achieve.

Credit to Lee Johnson so far, let's hope it keeps going. This difference this year though is that I honestly believe it will.

Belief. Ahhh, it feels nice.

37 minutes ago, 054123 said:

All looking very promising now and very exciting.

For the me progress would be establishing ourselves as a good team at this level with potential to kick on. Something we haven't done since Andy Cole was here

There is a confidence and a style to us that to my mind gives this group the edge over Gary Johnson's play off team, who for all the positive results, always felt like we were somehow grinding results out through sheer bloody mindedness, with no real long-term plan and the impending realisation that the bubble would burst at any minute.

This feels completely different. 

Our first 2 years back at this level were really not very good (I'll refrain from swraring) littered with some of the worst performances I've seen. You can debate whether Cottrell or Johnson should have been sacked at those times and I feel the body of work presented would have made few eyebrows raise when Cottrell did go and if Johnson would have gone.

I sometimes think we confuse the personal with the material. I liked Lee as a player and am sure he's a nice guy, I don't think it was unfair to question his position during the first 18 months. The same goes for Steve Lansdown. I am truly grateful for his financial commitment but don't think it was unfair to question his tenure over the past 15 years, given all the false dawns and the club's obscurity and failures during the period.

Enough of that now though. Whilst it was fair to question and hold a negative viewpoint of the club during this time (and I certainly don't think apologies are needed for them) the vast majority (myself included) all still believed and hoped, to some extent, as we all still followed and loved the club. I have brainwashed three children during this period, so i must have believed in something!

Lee has been allowed to shape and mould his team since then and this season has created a squad and style that fills me with more comfidence and hope than i have felt in long time. 

Lee Johnson deserves credit and praise for this and whilst I think it's fair to be negative at times, it only has weight if it is objective and balanced be being positive when clearly that is the case.

The other factor this period will bring is time. As Ole has pointed out, yes we had good spells last year in respect of points, but anyone who watched those will know the performances were still poor and there was no sense of progress or a team building for the future.

This is different and this will allow Lee Johnson time and have something to point to that demonstrates what he and the club are trying to achieve. The performances both individually and collectively are testimont to this. Even at Brentord (you really had to be there to believe it) we got a point.

Credit to Lee Johnson so far, let's hope it keeps going. This difference this year though is that I honestly believe it will.

Meh i beg to differ, i feel under Johnson snr we were established at this level for a good few years obviously we never 'kicked on' but still.

15 minutes ago, bris red said:

Meh i beg to differ, i feel under Johnson snr we were established at this level for a good few years obviously we never 'kicked on' but still.

It's a fair point. I felt like getting to the playoff final wss achieved on bluster and we were clinging on after that playoff final defeat  and through different mistakes, were on a downward spiral. 

14 minutes ago, 054123 said:

It's a fair point. I felt like getting to the playoff final wss achieved on bluster and we were clinging on after that playoff final defeat  and through different mistakes, were on a downward spiral. 

Yep, feel the same.

We had good players that gave their all every game, but we were one dimensional in our style of play.   

What we have now is an identity, a playing style which the whole squad have bought into and can implement.  Personnel can change but we now have a blueprint to recruit (develop youth) toward.  We can be more than the talent of the players we recruit, that than limited by the quality of the player we can afford - and let's face it other than in League 1 there is no other league where we can outstanding all the others.

This seems much more sustainable than under GJ or at any period in my time watching City.

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

Well said 054123 - let's have a quick look at  what you were "believing" a few months back:

"He's the manager. This is his fault. Every last bit. This is all of his making. Bored of listening to him talk as if it's out of his control. He's the ******* manager, manage the situation, if you can't, **** off."

I"'m of the opinon that Lansdown has cocked up ever since the January window in 2008. The club has never focused on the football. He has spent money in all the wrong places. 10 years of failure."

"10 years of failure, why is it taking so long for everyone to see it? He's a billionaire and we can't keep out of division 3. He's talks a great game but can't deliver. People think he saved us from something, what?? What would be different if he wasn't here and others were in place? It's just a ******* failure."

"Make no mistake, regardlessof match day support, Lansdown is clueless and Johnson is hopeless. Those two facts are unquestionable based on both mens body of work in their respective roles. Every match as seen brilliant support, but the above is undeniable true."

"Don't get me wrong, the sad realisation of our complete lack footballing direction, leadership or mamagement that this season has brought, has killed me inside".

Glad you're feeling better :thumbsup:

22 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Well said 054123 - let's have a quick look at  what you were "believing" a few months back:

"He's the manager. This is his fault. Every last bit. This is all of his making. Bored of listening to him talk as if it's out of his control. He's the ******* manager, manage the situation, if you can't, **** off."

I"'m of the opinon that Lansdown has cocked up ever since the January window in 2008. The club has never focused on the football. He has spent money in all the wrong places. 10 years of failure."

"10 years of failure, why is it taking so long for everyone to see it? He's a billionaire and we can't keep out of division 3. He's talks a great game but can't deliver. People think he saved us from something, what?? What would be different if he wasn't here and others were in place? It's just a ******* failure."

"Make no mistake, regardlessof match day support, Lansdown is clueless and Johnson is hopeless. Those two facts are unquestionable based on both mens body of work in their respective roles. Every match as seen brilliant support, but the above is undeniable true."

"Don't get me wrong, the sad realisation of our complete lack footballing direction, leadership or mamagement that this season has brought, has killed me inside".

Haha. Classic. 

27 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

Yep, feel the same.

We had good players that gave their all every game, but we were one dimensional in our style of play.   

What we have now is an identity, a playing style which the whole squad have bought into and can implement.  Personnel can change but we now have a blueprint to recruit (develop youth) toward.  We can be more than the talent of the players we recruit, that than limited by the quality of the player we can afford - and let's face it other than in League 1 there is no other league where we can outstanding all the others.

This seems much more sustainable than under GJ or at any period in my time watching City.

I always felt that we got to the play off final on team spirit, momentum and sheer bloody minded determination more than anything. Yes we had some good players but our play was one dimensional and I lost count of the number of games where we won by the odd goal and couldn't believe we'd held on. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved that season, but looking back now it was never a blueprint for lasting success. It was however a lesson in how far real togetherness can take you over a season. The fat contracts handed out to many of that team on the back of that season actually turned out to be one of the main reasons for our later downfall. 

It is starting to feel different this time around. We have a solid base at the back and in midfield and an excellent choice of bright, clever players going forward. The signs are good. There appears to be resilience there we haven't seen for a  long time at this level. 

It's very early days though. Let's see how we (players, management, wider fan base and OTIB) react when a couple of defeats come along, as they inevitably will over a long season. React positively as a collective to that and I'll then truly believe that we are on to something. 

31 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Thanks. As someone who deals with depression the lows can get quite low, conversely the highs are way out of proportion. 

In a way it's nice that I registered with you enough on some level that you remembered me. It's genueinly appreciated. 

Trying to balance the 2 is no easy trick with the highs being like fireworks whilst the lows can set in for weeks.

I think with city, I kept the faith for so long (feel free to dig out those ardently supportive posts of Lansdown when you feel the agenda suits!!!!!!) that the nature of the Cottrell promotion seemed seemed euphoric. 

I think as my posts demonstrate, the appalling state of affairs we found ourselves in over that 2 season period (yes seasons, not games) were just the end of last 10 years of crap and I whilst I would always follow and love the club, is ran out of self generating positive energy.

I more than anyone am happy that I have something again. The trick is to not let it be a firework and try to hold on to the positive triggers.

Things are positive and moving the right way.

10 minutes ago, Jacki said:

It's very early days though. Let's see how we (players, management, wider fan base and OTIB) react when a couple of defeats come along, as they inevitably will over a long season. React positively as a collective to that and I'll then truly believe that we are on to something. 

14 minutes ago, Jacki said:

I always felt that we got to the play off final on team spirit, momentum and sheer bloody minded determination more than anything. Yes we had some good players but our play was one dimensional and I lost count of the number of games where we won by the odd goal and couldn't believe we'd held on. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved that season, but looking back now it was never a blueprint for lasting success. It was however a lesson in how far real togetherness can take you over a season. The fat contracts handed out to many of that team on the back of that season actually turned out to be one of the main reasons for our later downfall. 

It is starting to feel different this time around. We have a solid base at the back and in midfield and an excellent choice of bright, clever players going forward. The signs are good. There appears to be resilience there we haven't seen for a  long time at this level. 

The last paragraph is very relevant. I think this season though you can genuinely  see something positive rather than clinging to blind faith.

It does feel different to last season in some respects. However, I remember a lot of positivity at exactly this point of last season, followed by a soul destroying run of results.

So forgive me if I don't buy into the hype this time around. If we get to March time and are still in the top half I will start to believe in the long term improvement theory. 

19 minutes ago, 054123 said:

The last paragraph is very relevant. I think this season though you can genuinely  see something positive rather than clinging to blind faith.

I totally agree. I just want to see it over a long period of time before I get too excited. If we're still on the edge of the play offs after 30 games we'll know that this was more than a promising start. 

It is posts like this that 'scare' me. People who swing from one end of the spectrum to another, inevitably quickly swing back.

OTIB is on a kind of knife edge at the moment. I'm sure others feel it. Will we keep up this form, or will we fall away, again.....then.......

Don't get me wrong, i'm positive about the start, and felt positive about this season in the summer, but I think some people are beginning to get too carried away.

If you read the opinions of some, we've gone from 'one of the lowest points as a club, no direction, a owner who only appoints his mates, who happens to be the worse manager in our history, whose Dad is interfering with our club and a squad of players who want to leave' etc etc etc to literally only a few months later 'having the most exciting and unified squad we've had for as long as many can remember, and an exciting, ever learning young manager who has given us a clear style and is the "real deal", oh and thanks to our owner for having the balls and vision, and money, now we have a real chance to do something in this league' etc etc etc.

How is that possible? In a few months.

Anyway, I guess what i'm saying is - expectation, and a dose of level headedness right now. Because, what I see, is slowly, slowly, post by post, expectations rising this season. And rising too quickly IMO. 

We've quickly gone from "i'd take fourth from bottom this season now with LJ in charge" to "i'd be happy mid-table" to "we should kick on in this league now" to "we should beat Bolton, no problems"......which will inevitably turn into talk about the playoffs and all of a sudden not finishing in the top 6 will be a huge waste, given LJ has spent £25m, after all.

Maybe we should just all enjoy the ride so far, and if we all stay calm when we lose a few, i'll be happy to eat these words.

7 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

It is posts like this that 'scare' me. People who swing from one end of the spectrum to another, inevitably quickly swing back.

OTIB is on a kind of knife edge at the moment. I'm sure others feel it. Will we keep up this form, or will we fall away, again.....then.......

Don't get me wrong, i'm positive about the start, and felt positive about this season in the summer, but I think some people are beginning to get too carried away.

If you read the opinions of some, we've gone from 'one of the lowest points as a club, no direction, a owner who only appoints his mates, who happens to be the worse manager in our history, whose Dad is interfering with our club and a squad of players who want to leave' etc etc etc to literally only a few months later 'having the most exciting and unified squad we've had for as long as many can remember, and an exciting, ever learning young manager who has given us a clear style, oh and thanks to our owner for having the balls and vision, and money, now we have a real chance to do something in this league' etc etc etc.

Anyway, I guess what i'm saying is - expectation, and a dose of level headedness right now. Because, what I see, is slowly, slowly, post by post, expectations rising this season. And rising too quickly IMO. 

We've quickly gone from "i'd take fourth from bottom this season now with LJ in charge" to "i'd be happy mid-table" to "we should kick on in this league now" to "we should beat Bolton, no problems"......which will inevitably turn into talk about the playoffs and all of a sudden not finishing in the top 6 will be a huge waste, given LJ has spent £25m, after all.

Maybe we should just all enjoy the ride so far, and as along as we all stay calm when we lose a few, i'll be happy to eat these words.

I agree with your sentiment completely.

For me though the last 2 seasons were the final straws of a pretty dire period for the club. This whilst arguably having the best backing the club has ever had. For it to follow that one unbelievable season under Cottrell beggars belief.

Anyway, let's keep going.

8 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

If you read the opinions of some, we've gone from 'one of the lowest points as a club, no direction, a owner who only appoints his mates, who happens to be the worse manager in our history, whose Dad is interfering with our club and a squad of players who want to leave' etc etc etc to literally only a few months later 'having the most exciting and unified squad we've had for as long as many can remember, and an exciting, ever learning young manager who has given us a clear style, oh and thanks to our owner for having the balls and vision, and money, now we have a real chance to do something in this league' etc etc etc.

Maybe we should just all enjoy the ride so far, and if we all stay calm when we lose a few, i'll be happy to eat these words.

Exactly that Alex.

Everything that happened last season, was a big part to what we have become this season. It's time that's needed. A learning curve...elements added along the way, some taken away. Things don't happen overnight, for the long term health of a club.

So much has happened at our Club since LJ and MA have been involved. I've always spoken about the infrastructure of a club, and ours being no where good enough in the past.

People say we could have gone up under GJ...my god...it would have been another scenario of what happened when we last went up into the top division. No way did we have the infrastructure back then to support such a promotion.

We are still playing catch up in this league....we are doing it quickly and effectively. Definitely doing it with technology and analysts. Crunching numbers and then scouting players etc. Our ways of recruiting, have definitely improved.

It's very much a 'team' effort and not just down to LJ's coaching.

Like you...I fear the reactions of fans. The unrealistic expectations and knee jerk reactions. Expecting things to change almost overnight. When I read that LJ is doing things right this season, and wasn't last season...it boils my noggin. It's not as simple as that.

What I fear most, is the expectations. If we finish mid table this season, playing the way we are now ( entertaining, offensive and expansive) will the fans be content? Will they want change?

I look at teams in this division like, Derby, Forest, Birmingham, Wolves, Ipswich, Fulham, Reading, QPR,....all long in the tooth in this division. Would our fans be happy with that type of tenure? What is progress in this division when you look at those teams and see where they have finished over the years?

I'd like to see us keep with what we are doing over a number of years for a change. As long as the health of the club was progressing, It would be better in the long term.

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

He without sin ...

Personally I think we are much better setup for future than 10 years ago. That much is obvious and self evident. On and off the pitch.

The squad is much younger for one. That looking back had the feeling of a potential glorious climax but that squad was experienced.

This one? Growing but still a better blend, still has room for growth. Young and mid 20s players with some experience sprinkled on top. Great blend- can see forward for say 5 years as opposed to one or two.

I can see some merit in the appraisals of 10 years ago but season of 2 halves. Up until about Christmas we were fairly possession based side.

At home games anyway we had fairly decent control I thought, fairly good share. Signing Adebola- good job though he did, changed that a bit.

More direct, perhaps more counter  attacking- again not a bad option but Noble behind the striker offered IMO some of the most controlled performances.

Off the pitch? Well self evidently we are in a much bettet place. Bars, proper corporate facilities and the fanbase as a whole has clearly grown last 20 years.

Comparisons like for like 3rd tier, 2nd tier it's absolutely grown and seems to continue to hold up, to grow.

Don't fully agree with Spudski about promotion 10 years ago being like last time in top flight. What with parachute payments and an owner with great resources who cared and knew what he was doing we would eventually have stabilised as a yoyo club between 2nd and 3rd tier.

We wouldn't have done a Blackpool, a Coventry, a Bradford or a Portsmouth IMO. Certainly wouldn't have crashed to the bottom tier.

Regards the here and now? Would be reasonably happy with midtable, some good football, some good scalps- but if we do get into the playoffs what a delight that would be and I think we would be a good addition to PL.

27 minutes ago, spudski said:

What I fear most, is the expectations. If we finish mid table this season, playing the way we are now ( entertaining, offensive and expansive) will the fans be content? Will they want change?

I look at teams in this division like, Derby, Forest, Birmingham, Wolves, Ipswich, Fulham, Reading, QPR,....all long in the tooth in this division. Would our fans be happy with that type of tenure? What is progress in this division when you look at those teams and see where they have finished over the years?

I'd like to see us keep with what we are doing over a number of years for a change. As long as the health of the club was progressing, It would be better in the long term.

I think this is a massive point.

Forest - 18 years since last in the premier league.

Derby - 9 years.....

Ipswich - 15 years.....

Reading - 4......

and so on. 

Yes it would be nice to do a 'Huddersfield' and fast track promotion, to a certain extent, but the reality is, as you say, we should be content with doing the right things off the pitch and settling in for potentially many, many years trying to get out the Championship. 

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

Thanks. As someone who deals with depression the lows can get quite low, conversely the highs are way out of proportion. 

In a way it's nice that I registered with you enough on some level that you remembered me. It's genueinly appreciated. 

Trying to balance the 2 is no easy trick with the highs being like fireworks whilst the lows can set in for weeks.

I think with city, I kept the faith for so long (feel free to dig out those ardently supportive posts of Lansdown when you feel the agenda suits!!!!!!) that the nature of the Cottrell promotion seemed seemed euphoric. 

I think as my posts demonstrate, the appalling state of affairs we found ourselves in over that 2 season period (yes seasons, not games) were just the end of last 10 years of crap and I whilst I would always follow and love the club, is ran out of self generating positive energy.

I more than anyone am happy that I have something again. The trick is to not let it be a firework and try to hold on to the positive triggers.

Things are positive and moving the right way.

I wouldn't take it as a compliment..!

It's people with these completely OTT reactions, be they good or bad, that cause a decay within the club and split the support base. 

Perhaps it should simply serve as a lesson to take a more measured view of things and take a look at the bigger picture. 

I don't buy this "it's been 2 ban years" myth. 

In fact, since LJ has been here, we have only really had one bad run, lasting about 10/12 games. All other times he has had us in pretty much play off challenging form, or better! 

20 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I wouldn't take it as a compliment..!

It's people with these completely OTT reactions, be they good or bad, that cause a decay within the club and split the support base. 

Perhaps it should simply serve as a lesson to take a more measured view of things and take a look at the bigger picture. 

I don't buy this "it's been 2 ban years" myth. 

In fact, since LJ has been here, we have only really had one bad run, lasting about 10/12 games. All other times he has had us in pretty much play off challenging form, or better! 

Sorry, I must have misunderstood. I can take offence if it makes it easier?

For what's it worth though, I don't buy this 'it was only 11/12 bad games' myth.

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Personally I think we are much better setup for future than 10 years ago. That much is obvious and self evident. On and off the pitch.

The squad is much younger for one. That looking back had the feeling of a potential glorious climax but that squad was experienced.

This one? Growing but still a better blend, still has room for growth. Young and mid 20s players with some experience sprinkled on top. Great blend- can see forward for say 5 years as opposed to one or two.

I can see some merit in the appraisals of 10 years ago but season of 2 halves. Up until about Christmas we were fairly possession based side.

At home games anyway we had fairly decent control I thought, fairly good share. Signing Adebola- good job though he did, changed that a bit.

More direct, perhaps more counter  attacking- again not a bad option but Noble behind the striker offered IMO some of the most controlled performances.

Off the pitch? Well self evidently we are in a much bettet place. Bars, proper corporate facilities and the fanbase as a whole has clearly grown last 20 years.

Comparisons like for like 3rd tier, 2nd tier it's absolutely grown and seems to continue to hold up, to grow.

Don't fully agree with Spudski about promotion 10 years ago being like last time in top flight. What with parachute payments and an owner with great resources who cared and knew what he was doing we would eventually have stabilised as a yoyo club between 2nd and 3rd tier.

We wouldn't have done a Blackpool, a Coventry, a Bradford or a Portsmouth IMO. Certainly wouldn't have crashed to the bottom tier.

Regards the here and now? Would be reasonably happy with midtable, some good football, some good scalps- but if we do get into the playoffs what a delight that would be and I think we would be a good addition to PL.

We didn't have the infrastructure in place under GJ mate. It takes years to build it up properly. It's not something you can just put in place in a season. Infrastructure doesn't come under FFP.

Since SL has been here, he hasn't, until employing SoD, taken much interest in 'how to run a professional football club' properly. He threw his money at the short term...he didn't do his due diligence on managers brought in, and as to whether they were suitable for him to work with, and allowed them to spend millions unwisely...all with a short term view.

It was a complete 'kick up the backside' when SoD showed him what was needed.

This is why the first team suffered under SoD. The Club was run so amateurishly. SoD was appalled at what we had in place. He tried to fix everything himself. People working at the Club hated him for it. They had their nice cosy jobs, basically doing **** all right.

That was when we started to think differently....and the blueprint and plan put in to action. LJ coming here has been part of that plan. So has MA. The knowledge SoD imparted on what was needed began to take root. We started to invest better. Even though we got promotion under SC....that long term planning took a hit. Under SC it started to become short sighted rather than for the long term. Even though SC agreed to the philosophy initially....for whatever reasons...he went his own way, both in his philosophy, way of running the club and scouting, agents etc. The rest is history.

Our 'Pillars' philosophy is still in place, although tweaked when lessons learnt.

We have invested heavily in our 'infrastructure' in the past few seasons....and it's starting to show dividends.

This is a slow process...although we've done remarkably well to catch up. Similar in many ways to how Brentford found a way of playing catch up.

Too see how a Club has a fantastic infrastructure in place....look no further than Burnley. They are a well run Club from top to bottom.

I do disagree as to your views on SL back then. He was totally for the short term. He was taken in by being 'so near but so far'. Buying in the likes of David James and getting too involved was his problem back then. He's admitted it himself....hence taking more of a back seat.

The whole debacle with Steve Coppell and then Keith Millen was brushed under the carpet. It was solely SL at fault back then. He had the money...but not the knowledge on how to do it right. He thought he knew best and could influence. He's found out eventually, not to get too involved.

Thankfully we are now benefitting from that new understanding on his part, and his still obvious passion for the club.

Archived