IGNORED

How big a part does psychology play in sport ?

Major Isewater

15 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

rvery person has the ability to be a professional footballer, psychologically only the elite few do.

Yes physique helps but, everyone should be able to hit a ball like ronaldo or dribble like messi it's not a power given to them (although some say it is) but it's the confidence, everytime Ronaldo steps over a free kick he has the confidence in himself that he can find the top corner, same as Messi when faced with 5 defenders in front of him, he knows that he can get passed them.

Yes there is natural talent but most boils down to the confidence you have in your ability. 

As posted above it has a massive impact on a team as well, Leicester beamed confidence when they won the league, going into each game to win it, each player was confident that the job they were doing was at an extremely high standard. Teams who struggle don't have that confidence, they go into games being conservative not to have a repeat of the week before, players wandering if they should try and beat there man as they may lose it causing a counter attack etc.

As Tomlin, JET etc. prove you can have the talent but the Mental side of the game is what makes you a special player

Agree with that. virtually all of us were not arsed enough to give it a real go at being the best we can be at our favourite sport. wrong attitude. I find it ironic that given that the bad lazy attitude card is used with Tomlin and JET who not only became pros but are more skilful than most of them. that skill is not an accident so they must have been more arsed than virtually all to work at it!!  That one goes round and round in circles.

19 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I watched our match yesterday and was interested to note that Naarwich gave us a lot of respect and equally we went there believing a result was , if not probable ,  certainly  more so than a defeat.

I know you need the skills to back up your results but I wonder what percentage the psychology plays .

What do you think ? 

One word-Belief........but she can be a fragile mistress in the wrong hands..

22 hours ago, Trueredsupporte said:

Agree with that. virtually all of us were not arsed enough to give it a real go at being the best we can be at our favourite sport. wrong attitude. I find it ironic that given that the bad lazy attitude card is used with Tomlin and JET who not only became pros but are more skilful than most of them. that skill is not an accident so they must have been more arsed than virtually all to work at it!!  That one goes round and round in circles.

They are professional athletes so they must have worked hard, but I feel they have the I'm here now that'll do mentality.

JET as he was at Arsenal thought he made it. 

Tomlin worked his way up, got to the prem and didn't play so his attitude is a well stuff it then, IMO. 

On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 18:05, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Every person has the ability to be a professional footballer, psychologically only the elite few do.

Yes physique helps but, everyone should be able to hit a ball like ronaldo or dribble like messi it's not a power given to them (although some say it is) but it's the confidence, everytime Ronaldo steps over a free kick he has the confidence in himself that he can find the top corner, same as Messi when faced with 5 defenders in front of him, he knows that he can get passed them.

Yes there is natural talent but most boils down to the confidence you have in your ability. 

As posted above it has a massive impact on a team as well, Leicester beamed confidence when they won the league, going into each game to win it, each player was confident that the job they were doing was at an extremely high standard. Teams who struggle don't have that confidence, they go into games being conservative not to have a repeat of the week before, players wandering if they should try and beat there man as they may lose it causing a counter attack etc.

As Tomlin, JET etc. prove you can have the talent but the Mental side of the game is what makes you a special player

In theory, everyone should be able to have good "hand, feet, ball, eye coordination". So in theory all should be able to be as good as Ronaldo. But in practice, it doesn't happen in just the same way as not everyone can play the piano, have good sense of direction etc, etc.

46 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

They are professional athletes so they must have worked hard, but I feel they have the I'm here now that'll do mentality.

JET as he was at Arsenal thought he made it. 

Tomlin worked his way up, got to the prem and didn't play so his attitude is a well stuff it then, IMO. 

but if skill is acquired by hardwork and I agree they must have worked even harder than everybody else. its a strange one because that skill becomes a thing to criticis them by as they do not work hard enough to use the things they work harder on than everybody else as we measure often players by how much they run around. Is something that seems to go round in circles. From Jacki to Jet to Tomlin to Trundle the theory is that they did not train hard enough  maybe its part of their mindset that makes them different in the first place.

On 24/09/2017 at 19:27, Cowshed said:

In football that natural ceiling is not so clearly determined. Its a sport where all sort of body shapes from Xavi to Ibrahimovic excel. Unlike sprinters genetics do not wholly define the future.There is no football gene.

Every person has the ability to be a professional footballer, psychologically only the elite few do -  there is a lot of merit in this because it is our lack of desire to be relentless in the pursuit of improvement via practice that defines what we are. Mentally from early ages few have the growth mindset to constantly practice deliberately each day, each week,  each month to get even close to the pro game.  

Interesting, my son is 8, and loves his footie, his first word was ball, and he was kicking it as soon as he was walking. Now he is 8, he just never stops kicking a ball, his technique is quite stunning, he is chipping 20 yard passes into my hands almost at will, alternating between inside and outside of his foot, no one at his club can get near him, it's really natural for him. However when he gets on the pitch in a game he has no confidence at all,  yes he often scores, but he is almost defeated before he starts, and he often gets Bad tackles going in on him as well. He's still young so is getting better, but it's something that is holding him back. I remember talking to an old colleague whose son went to school with joe Bryan, so they used to go and watch school games. She reckoned joe was so far advanced at a young age that no one could live with him. At the really top end of the game, with players like messi, MaraDona and Ronaldinho, there's almost something god given in their ability with a ball,  I kinda consider that maradona was nuts but had a total will to win as well as being a genius with a ball, or orange or Rubik's cube. I wonder what a top coach would say about the importance of ability over mentality? Mentality probably comes out on top nearly all the time

21 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Interesting, my son is 8, and loves his footie, his first word was ball, and he was kicking it as soon as he was walking. Now he is 8, he just never stops kicking a ball, his technique is quite stunning, he is chipping 20 yard passes into my hands almost at will, alternating between inside and outside of his foot, no one at his club can get near him, it's really natural for him. However when he gets on the pitch in a game he has no confidence at all,  yes he often scores, but he is almost defeated before he starts, and he often gets Bad tackles going in on him as well. He's still young so is getting better, but it's something that is holding him back. I remember talking to an old colleague whose son went to school with joe Bryan, so they used to go and watch school games. She reckoned joe was so far advanced at a young age that no one could live with him. At the really top end of the game, with players like messi, MaraDona and Ronaldinho, there's almost something god given in their ability with a ball,  I kinda consider that maradona was nuts but had a total will to win as well as being a genius with a ball, or orange or Rubik's cube. I wonder what a top coach would say about the importance of ability over mentality? Mentality probably comes out on top nearly all the time

Get him to dwell on the positives and not on anything he can't control. Practice, practice, practice....that breeds self confidence, knowing you've done your dues. Completely focus on everything he does right...don't mention negatives.  Don't let him dwell on opposition, size, ability of others or mistakes. Give him loads of positive remarks. Tell him he's good, but repeat how important it is to train.

Paul Scholes had no confidence in himself...right up to his late teens.

Coach's had to constantly keep telling him he was good.

Tbh....it's becoming harder for coach's and parents to coach winners, because of the society we live in today, and how the kids are taught and educated. The 'snowflake' generation....all those kids holding a trophy and being told how great they are for coming 10th. So many have lost the drive to succeed and the knowledge that only hard work brings reward, not just participating.

Older coach's are finding it hard to cope with this generation....as they really can't relate to them. Younger coach's get it. It's the same in Pro football....some of these old school managers are having a real problem getting their points across to younger players and don't know how to man manage them.

Visualisation is also a good tool to breed confidence. Watching yourself or others do the right things.

That's why the players are given content of themselves doing the right things in match's to view after games.

11 minutes ago, spudski said:

Get him to dwell on the positives and not on anything he can't control. Practice, practice, practice....that breeds self confidence, knowing you've done your dues. Completely focus on everything he does right...don't mention negatives.  Don't let him dwell on opposition, size, ability of others or mistakes. Give him loads of positive remarks. Tell him he's good, but repeat how important it is to train.

Paul Scholes had no confidence in himself...right up to his late teens.

Coach's had to constantly keep telling him he was good.

Tbh....it's becoming harder for coach's and parents to coach winners, because of the society we live in today, and how the kids are taught and educated. The 'snowflake' generation....all those kids holding a trophy and being told how great they are for coming 10th. So many have lost the drive to succeed and the knowledge that only hard work brings reward, not just participating.

Older coach's are finding it hard to cope with this generation....as they really can't relate to them. Younger coach's get it. It's the same in Pro football....some of these old school managers are having a real problem getting their points across to younger players and don't know how to man manage them.

Visualisation is also a good tool to breed confidence. Watching yourself or others do the right things.

That's why the players are given content of themselves doing the right things in match's to view after games.

Thanks pal! Yeah I spend a lot of time talking to him, encouraging him etc, the coaches don't really have much of an idea of what to do with him, initially the speed of the game took him by surprise, but he's starting to get used to it. He pretty much does not stop kicking a ball, 8am on a sunday morning, or when it's dark doesn't matter to him. I had a brief chat with tinnion about him a year or 2 ago after he was noticed by a local scout with rovers connections, but he's still young so want him to have fun with it really. Unreal re scholes by the way!

1 hour ago, simon uk said:

Get him Troy McClure's self help video 

" Get confident, stupid " 

They will throw you in free of charge as a bonus 

" Smoke yourself slim " .

1 hour ago, simon uk said:

At eight he is in what is called the foundation stage, its 5-11. Creating a bedrock of technical ability is what it his football should be about. Football at that age is about development of technical ability.

Spudski is nailing it above.

We all have what are called automatic negative thoughts (Ants), by focussing on the positives it will help him to quell those ants he is experiencing pre / in games and better enjoy his football.

His game is about technique now. From 11 onwards other aspects come into play, but he is eight and mentally he is not capable of understanding how to solve what happens on a football pitch.

However when he gets on the pitch in a game he has no confidence at all. ... This may sound strange tell him how much you love him leading up to the game, tell him how proud of how skilful he is, how hard he is working at his game, how impressed you were by the good things in training, how impressed you were by the good things in the last match ... In spudskis post he mentions visualisation ask him to write in a book how he felt when he scored, or performed a great skill, how good his passing and control was then refer to the book of positives in the week, before a game.

Interesting, my son is 8, and loves his footie, his first word was ball, and he was kicking it as soon as he was walking. Now he is 8, he just never stops kicking a ball, his technique is quite stunning ... And it is beautiful to witness kids doing that isn't it?  Stunning = Positive, upbeat, confident, encourage that's the focus.   

Even mistakes become positives "unlucky, I can see what you are doing, great idea, be brave try it again!" That combats those ants when he makes an error, it helps combat fear.

Not as good at something. Its a positive not a negative - You are already really good at this, now how good would you be if we also work at this Son? That challenge, that future, that prospect is exciting, positive, encouraging .. Its the same focus again.   

His ability is created by that never stopped kicking a ball = Work. Its mental and physical. His love of it feeds that work. Further work will see him improve and love it even more to improve and on that cycle goes.

What he is experiencing is very normal. Kids go through stages of huge improvement, seemingly not progressing, and then kicking on again ... You by doing the above help to assist him through it.

Archived