IGNORED

Advertising Boards

hinsleburg

9 minutes ago, Mkelly said:

Hi 

no, sadly this won't be changing 

Mark 

Thank you for the answer. May I ask why not though? As has been pointed out before by others there's plenty of other modern stadiums that don't have this level of lighting on, including Wembley so is there a particular reason that it's different at our place? 

We don’t get this from the Dolman where the equivalent area we view is free from advertising.

I'd like to think this is compensation from all those years giving the 'Dolman Salute' but I'm guessing the national and international companies who pay for advertising get the prime spots.

That said, is there any reason why the areas not covered by the electronic advertising boards remain largely blank?

Used to be no shortage of scaffolding companies, roofing contractors and other companies who were happy to pay for an association.

Is it a case that these people have spent cash on hospitality instead, or local isn't the model being adopted?

One for @Mkelly I guess.

29 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Interesting wording - are you acknowledging that it’s not ideal then?

Is it another SAG ruling? 

Hi

This was discussed in detail at the FAN.

Due to the nature of the new stands, the rake, the need for CCTV in key areas and just general safety,  the lightening needs to remain on.  Due to the feedback, there is a plan to reduce the amount of lights and hence the glare but this is work in progress.

5 hours ago, Mkelly said:

Noted.  It was set to 50% today which is standard for evening games. I agree there were times it was v bright.  This will be reduced at next evening game accordingly 

It seems many were of the same opinion that it was very distracting, I was told that one guy walked out who was epileptic as he was very concerned that it could trigger a siezure (apparently he went and sat in the Dolman)

5 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

We don’t get this from the Dolman where the equivalent area we view is free from advertising.

I'd like to think this is compensation from all those years giving the 'Dolman Salute' but I'm guessing the national and international companies who pay for advertising get the prime spots.

That said, is there any reason why the areas not covered by the electronic advertising boards remain largely blank?

Used to be no shortage of scaffolding companies, roofing contractors and other companies who were happy to pay for an association.

Is it a case that these people have spent cash on hospitality instead, or local isn't the model being adopted?

One for @Mkelly I guess.

Surely seeing the bright white advertising at each end is enough!

8 hours ago, Bainsey said:

If the best we can moan about is the advertising boards then I feel we're going to have a good season!

I was conscious that some one would make "its that's all we got to moan about " comment. 

But this is nothing to do with how we are doing on the pitch. This is a genuine issue which is causing problems to a significant proportion of fans mainly in the Lansdown stand.

7 hours ago, Mkelly said:

Hi

This was discussed in detail at the FAN.

Due to the nature of the new stands, the rake, the need for CCTV in key areas and just general safety,  the lightening needs to remain on.  Due to the feedback, there is a plan to reduce the amount of lights and hence the glare but this is work in progress.

I thought ‘sadly’ in your earlier post was interesting, implied you had some sympathy about this issue.

I’m no health and safety expert, but those don’t sound very convincing reasons. I’m interested to know whether they’re club or SAG led?

I'm lucky being in the Dolman we don't get the full effect of the advertising hoardings, I didn't notice them being particularly bright last night but the contrast when they went advert to advert was very distracting, almost like they were flickering making the area go from light to dark which made the game hard to watch.

I understand @Mkellythat you have stated once again our hands are seemingly tied regarding the lights in the stand but they are far too bright. As I said we in the Dolman don't suffer with the advertising in the same way as the Lansdown etc but we do have the glare of the Lansdown lighting. Last night it was slightly misty and it wasn't good watching the effect of the stand lighting through the mist, God only knows what a foggy night will look like. 

Such a shame as we seem to almost have it right, but as for most things the club does 'almost' stays as that, #ForeverNotQuite

It's incredible isn't it. We get a new stadium, a new Head Coach and a new squad of players.

The advertising hoardings are a significant interference in watching the game because of extreme brightness.

The stadium general lighting is far too bright during the match.

The public address system is either too loud and/or inaudible.

Last season, the football, which is what we come to see, was very poor for many months.

Amazingly, we've managed to fix the football but modern technology is beyond us.

As for the SAG.Yet another unelected body of idiotic do gooders who dictate to us and we, the public who are indirectly paying for them, have to comply with everything that they say.

The irony of all this is....you have lights on for safety reasons....yet the damn things are so bright, they blind you, so you can't see. You couldn't make it up.

I had to move seats too....couldn't make out anything in the first half until I moved. Sat in lower Dolman.

Going to watch City now, is like watching a bloomin UFO land in front of you. You can sometimes make out 22 blurry 'alien' like figures running around in front of it too, if you squint and look closely. There's a really tall one with long arms and grey arms as well...must be their leader ;-)

The interesting thing about what @Mkelly said. I would suggest the CCTV is certainly a reason lights will remain on.

However, I think they and boards were too bright. If the lights can be reduced in number and turned down that would I hope be a realistic goal.

Removal entirely? Would be great but doubt SAG would allow it.

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

My thoughts also

You wonder why the coaches haven't picked this up, with their attention to detail. Or are we going to have advertising boards put in at Failand? :shifty:

Seriously, Pack and Smith seemed to have real problems picking out and passing to team mates. Do either wear contact lenses? Also, we got caught offside more times than any other game I can think of since Kodj left. I just wonder if they couldn't pick out the runs quickly enough.

24 minutes ago, spudski said:

The irony of all this is....you have lights on for safety reasons....yet the damn things are so bright, they blind you, so you can't see. You couldn't make it up.

I had to move seats too....couldn't make out anything in the first half until I moved. Sat in lower Dolman.

Going to watch City now, is like watching a bloomin UFO land in front of you. You can sometimes make out 22 blurry 'alien' like figures running around in front of it too, if you squint and look closely. There's a really tall one with long arms and grey arms as well...must be their leader ;-)

isn't it great though spud?, the only thing we have to moan about is the lights

4 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I thought the floodlights weren't quite as bright yesterday which made the adverts stand out more, but it could have been an optical illusion?

The surround lighting was very variable. When it was lower the pitch looked remarkably dull. Yet we know these floodlights are up with the best. Just shows the impact of the advertising lighting.

The other problem is the lighting is changing very quickly. There seems to be a tendency for each advert to come with the best possible light show. Never used to be the case when electronic ads were much more static and moved across the boards at a much slower pace, causing a lot less visual distraction.

19 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

not last night it wasn't, rarely threaten but I thought we looked like a team doing just enough conserving ourselfs for the ipswich game

I think we've been spoilt the last few games mate....last nights game was a 'typical' Championship type game.

Teams will see how we now set up and do everything they can to spoil and stop that style of play. Exactly what Bolton did. Set up to spoil, and hopefully make a break when possible.

You'll see more games like that over a season imo.

16 minutes ago, DingleRed said:

The surround lighting was very variable. When it was lower the pitch looked remarkably dull. Yet we know these floodlights are up with the best. Just shows the impact of the advertising lighting.

The other problem is the lighting is changing very quickly. There seems to be a tendency for each advert to come with the best possible light show. Never used to be the case when electronic ads were much more static and moved across the boards at a much slower pace, causing a lot less visual distraction.

I know it creates revenue...but I'd be intrigued to know whether any fan has actually been influenced by any advert they've seen at the Gate?

Tbh...I'd be inclined not to buy their product...just for spoiling my football experience :laugh:

Same can be said of pop up adverts on websites...I refuse to buy their products for slowing down my experience. That sounds silly I know, but I know someone who works in that line of business and he has said more and more people are now saying that. Less inclined to notice or buy a product from an advert now.

Archived