IGNORED

Advertising Boards

hinsleburg

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think we've been spoilt the last few games mate....last nights game was a 'typical' Championship type game.

Teams will see how we now set up and do everything they can to spoil and stop that style of play. Exactly what Bolton did. Set up to spoil, and hopefully make a break when possible.

You'll see more games like that over a season imo.

I know it creates revenue...but I'd be intrigued to know whether any fan has actually been influenced by any advert they've seen at the Gate?

Tbh...I'd be inclined not to buy their product...just for spoiling my football experience :laugh:

Same can be said of pop up adverts on websites...I refuse to buy their products for slowing down my experience. That sounds silly I know, but I know someone who works in that line of business and he has said more and more people are now saying that. Less inclined to notice or buy a product from an advert now.

I'm of that mind set as well.

I was reading an article yesterday in an online newspaper about someone I knew who had been found dead - not local but same type of website as we all know and hate. I couldn't help but feel how insensitive it was to be reading this and find pop-up ads blocking out half the report. Funeral directors ....

There was a time when night matches were really worth looking forwards too... everything look **exciting, vibrant and * clear, we've been blessed with decent pitches etc over the years (*after decent floodlighting eliminated most of the 'shadowing'... **obviously the game itself didn't always excite.

Generally though night matches at Ashton Gate were something special the atmosphere 'under the lights' when the team were delivering on the pitch created a fantastic spectacle.

Now, with a great stadium, all mod cons, a good to watch team enjoying success on the pitch... we have the very thing that made Ashton Gate night games so special, 'the lights' spoiling things big time.

Venues with 'restricted view' areas often have discounted prices reflecting the fact that perhaps a pillar or something is causing a visual obstruction.... these 'income generating' electronic adverts are no different in my opinion, they spoil the view of large sections of full price paying 'customers' whose enjoyment of the entertainment on offer is undoubtedly restricted..

Should clubs be able to have it both ways?, eating their cake and having it? They get cash for adverts (that previously wasn't available) they still get top dollar cash for tickets, where does the priority lie?  Without a doubt the experience of watching live is impacted by the £££'s earning adverts, should ticket prices be adjusted to reflect that.. ?

The whole point of visual entertainment at night is to be clearly seen is it not?  if the lighting that creates the experience becomes the barrier to that, surely that's a problem?

36 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

There was a time when night matches were really worth looking forwards too... everything look **exciting, vibrant and * clear, we've been blessed with decent pitches etc over the years (*after decent floodlighting eliminated most of the 'shadowing'... **obviously the game itself didn't always excite.

Generally though night matches at Ashton Gate were something special the atmosphere 'under the lights' when the team were delivering on the pitch created a fantastic spectacle.

Now, with a great stadium, all mod cons, a good to watch team enjoying success on the pitch... we have the very thing that made Ashton Gate night games so special, 'the lights' spoiling things big time.

Venues with 'restricted view' areas often have discounted prices reflecting the fact that perhaps a pillar or something is causing a visual obstruction.... these 'income generating' electronic adverts are no different in my opinion, they spoil the view of large sections of full price paying 'customers' whose enjoyment of the entertainment on offer is undoubtedly restricted..

Should clubs be able to have it both ways?, eating their cake and having it? They get cash for adverts (that previously wasn't available) they still get top dollar cash for tickets, where does the priority lie?  Without a doubt the experience of watching live is impacted by the £££'s earning adverts, should ticket prices be adjusted to reflect that.. ?

The whole point of visual entertainment at night is to be clearly seen is it not?  if the lighting that creates the experience becomes the barrier to that, surely that's a problem?

Didn't Mark say last night that it did seem bright and they would look and toning then down a bit?

Would love to have watched the game last night through LJ's eyes...how the hell can he tell what the team are doing from that level, into those lights? Surely can't be good for a coach to watch his team...

It may seem like petty moaning...but if you went to the cinema, and they left all the lights on, and they had flashing advertising around the outside of the screen....would you go? Would you think it was ok?

As a fan, we come to watch the football....not be dazzled by lights and advertising.

Fantastic stadium, some great football....all being spoiled, by a modern day sanitised necessity of undue and excessive 'safety' requirements ( given as an excuse, when it's actual clear CCTV footage they want) and revenue being made through more advertising, at the cost of the fans enjoyment.

12 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

That said, is there any reason why the areas not covered by the electronic advertising boards remain largely blank?

Used to be no shortage of scaffolding companies, roofing contractors and other companies who were happy to pay for an association.

I am with you @Bristol Rob - the lack of ad boards on the opposite side of the pitch is weird, especially as there is effectively no visual barrier to those in the front row of the Lansdown.

I was horrified to be faced with numerous skirt clad fans facing me with their knees apart and nothing to hide their dignity last night. 

So I too missed large parts of the game because of the advertising boards. On the positive side though, my video has got over 500 hits on a special interest website.

17 hours ago, Mkelly said:

Hi

This was discussed in detail at the FAN.

Due to the nature of the new stands, the rake, the need for CCTV in key areas and just general safety,  the lightening needs to remain on.  Due to the feedback, there is a plan to reduce the amount of lights and hence the glare but this is work in progress.

@Mkelly Could you please explain why all these things are deemed necessary at the new AG when it seems other modern stadiums can put on night games without this excessive lighting?

If there is something unique about the new AG that means this cannot be changed please could you ask those responsible for advertising Bristol City evening games - including the head coach - not to stress 'the special atmosphere of Ashton Gate under the lights' when it's quite clear to many regular supporters it has been completely ruined to the extent it no longer exists.

This is a massive drawback to my enjoyment of attending evening games. If you, and others in positions to do so, have not yet done everything possible to challenge those responsible for dictating this absurd state of affairs, please make doing so a priority.

12 minutes ago, Mkelly said:

As per previous answer, the LED's will be reduced from 50% glare to around 30% 

The internal lights need to remain on (as per many stadiums these days) but I'm looking at reducing the amount of glare based on feedback 

Hi Mark,

Who determines rules like this about the internal lights? Is it the club? The FA? SAG? 

It would be helpful for us to know because then if it’s not a club decision people on here can try lobbying whoever made the decision. Otherwise you just repeat yourself on here over and over again.

Clearly there’s massive demand to reduce the internal lighting - it’s only a small cross section on here but there’s obvious demand from the paying public.

If this is a club decision and Bristol City making the calls, the public feeling can’t really be ignored and a compromise should be explored.

5 minutes ago, Mkelly said:

The internal lights need to remain on (as per many stadiums these days) but I'm looking at reducing the amount of glare based on feedback 

Mark sorry to repeat the question but can you not just state who and why made the decision to leave the lights on ! You state " as per many stadiums"  but the majority don't.. Stop sitting on the fence and giving a polititians answer for gods sake.

Its clearly an issue to many as is seating in the concorce . Or are we all an inconvenience , 

Ok, with the greatest respect this question has been answered many times, both on this forum, the FAN meeting and the SC&T, please let me clarify one final time.

The stadium had an operational review when it was fully open by a number of core SAG members, (fire, EHO, police) 

It was an evening game inspection 

It was felt at this inspection that the lights being off created secondary issues with regards to safety.  This was reviewed internally by our safety team that is led by Dave Storr and agreed. We are however, and based on feedback looking at creative ways of reducing the glare whilst still retaining enough light to cover risk.

To give you context, Dave is an internationally well respected safety officer (Olympics, Baccu, common wealth games, ex fire arms officer) who since joining Ashton Gate has successfully implemented changes and challenged previous myths around safety that just happen behind the scenes. He is somebody that will always work on behalf of the Club and fans first without compromising safety.

I hope that this finally clears this up.

Mark 

5 minutes ago, Mkelly said:

Ok, with the greatest respect this question has been answered many times, both on this forum, the FAN meeting and the SC&T, please let me clarify one final time.

The stadium had an operational review when it was fully open by a number of core SAG members, (fire, EHO, police) 

In summary then - SAG but the club agreed. Are the club in a position to veto SAG advice?

What is the best way to contact SAG so people can make their feelings known?

The Club has positive debates with the SAG on regular basis and will consider advice on a matter of risk.

I am the director personally liable for the general safety certificate so will follow judgement and council from the experts on my team. 

The SAG can be contacted through Bristol Council.

12 minutes ago, Mkelly said:

The Club has positive debates with the SAG on regular basis and will consider advice on a matter of risk.

I am the director personally liable for the general safety certificate so will follow judgement and council from the experts on my team. 

That’s understandable. I think people feel SAG is a bit shrouded in mystery and generally acts like a services to inconvenience fans rather than to assist with health and safety.

Maybe someone from SAG could post on here so people better understand what they so and why they do it? Could you suggest this?

I Googled ‘safety advisory group Bristol’ which rendered no results unless I missed it. Could you please provide an email contact so people can get in touch?

51 minutes ago, Mkelly said:

Could illuminated stairs be an option?

Small under lights built in to the step. 

I can then kick-step my way out of the Dolman 10 minutes before the end and do 'jazz hands' for the stewards.

Don't see any losers in this. 

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/uefaorg/General/02/36/26/72/2362672_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Uefa guidline 2.1  3

'A spectator should be able to watch and enjoy the match without suffering any discomfort caused by the pitch illuminance system.'

That is a guide line set out by Uefa for illuminating the pitch...not the internal stadium lighting or advertising board.

However....The Club should take note of said guideline when applying to other lighting that effects the spectators.

I suggest the Club do their utmost to find solutions to the glare from the stadium lighting, that is effecting the enjoyment and causing discomfort to it's fans and paying customers.

Perhaps the 'experts' on the team will listen to reason and access the situation better and with urgency...as having lights blaring at you from all quarters does not make it safe, rather the complete opposite. It's more likely to make you disorientated, unfocussed, confused and feeling anxious/uncomfortable.

I suggest meter readings are abandoned by these 'experts' and they actually stand there during a game, and witness with their own eyes and make a considered opinion from that experience.

How elderly people with glasses manage...God knows.

I've never heard so many people complaining about the lights as I did last night.

9 minutes ago, Mkelly said:

Thank you for the answers @Mkelly  How are you planning on reducing 'glare' without dimming the stadium lights? What are the 'secondary' safety concerns and risks that you and your team have if the lights were turned down? And where are these other stadiums that practice the same policy? As I've seen Wembley and the Emirates don't practice this policy with far greater crowds in attendance.   Safety of course comes first - but it is seriously affecting some of your clubs fans  enjoyment of the night games and an understanding of why these decisions have been made and what the perceived consequences would be if the decision was reversed would be very welcome. 

Could the lack of handrails in the stand have any bearing on this ! Many people have stated the difficulties the less mobile fans have due to the rake etc.

Still believe we are not being told the whole truth here, Is it a design fault resulting in the lights having to be left on.

Whatever SAG are saying some form of emergency lighting can be incorporated  in the event of needing it, or turn them off 10 minutes after kick off etc as we always used to once people are seated.

How on earth do cinemas / Theatres get a licence

13 minutes ago, Mkelly said:

It was an evening game inspection 

It was felt at this inspection that the lights being off created secondary issues with regards to safety.  This was reviewed internally by our safety team that is led by Dave Storr and agreed. We are however, and based on feedback looking at creative ways of reducing the glare whilst still retaining enough light to cover risk.

To give you context, Dave is an internationally well respected safety officer (Olympics, Baccu, common wealth games, ex fire arms officer) who since joining Ashton Gate has successfully implemented changes and challenged previous myths around safety that just happen behind the scenes. He is somebody that will always work on behalf of the Club and fans first without compromising safety.

I hope that this finally clears this up.

Mark 

If I recall correctly it has been stated many times by City fans on similar 'lighting' threads that the same excessive lighting is not present at other Championship grounds they visit following City away.

So could you please explain why is it deemed necessary for the lights to be left on in the stands at Ashton Gate when other clubs do not see it as necessary?

Thank you.

18 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

If I recall correctly it has been stated many times by City fans on similar 'lighting' threads that the same excessive lighting is not present at other Championship grounds they visit following City away.

So could you please explain why is it deemed necessary for the lights to be left on in the stands at Ashton Gate when other clubs do not see it as necessary?

Thank you.

Explained in previous post 

5 minutes ago, lenred said:

Sorry but it's not explained. It just says due to 'secondary issues'. It doesn't say what those issues are. 

Probably doesn't know and just ass-kisses the almighty SAG.

I hate those pitch side ads as well, most distracting. 

Everyone ought to complain saying the glare and distraction caused them to stumble......................that will alert SAG and get them turned down ! :cool:

1 hour ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

I actually chose not to go to last nights game because of the experience I had with the retina burning, solar flare like advertising hoardings the last time I went on an evening.

I wear glasses and this possibly adds to the problem. 3pm kick offs only for me from now on until something is done. Shame.

Who will win....the fans or the mighty £ ?  Answers on a postcard.

15 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Probably doesn't know and just ass-kisses the almighty SAG.

I hate those pitch side ads as well, most distracting. 

Everyone ought to complain saying the glare and distraction caused them to stumble......................that will alert SAG and get them turned down ! :cool:

See post #38 on previous page☝️

Archived