IGNORED

Oh what a feeling

Negan

Granted last year started off great, but it just didnt have the same feeling as this seasons start. We genuinely look good! Which is not something we’ve been able to say much in recent Championship seasons. Every area of the pitch has quality in it and even when players come off the bench it’s never a dip in quality. What a great squad we have! Well done Lee and co! Many fans gave you stick (and rightly so let’s be honest) but the best way to shut them up is to give us a team like that and consistent results! 

“Don’t get too carried away” 

bollocks to that we’re going up! 

Not our most fluent display of the season but I thought we did pretty well against a team who spent most of the game with 10 man behind the ball. We were patient and got the result we deserved.

Always a positive when we're not playing our best anf still win fairly comfortably. 

Bolton played like they were down to 10 men before they were down to 10 men. Was always going to be tough to break them down. We did twice. Was the match a bit dire at times? Yes but the performance was not. Again, a performance where we'd have drew 0-0 or even lost 0-1 last season or season before. Professional performance tonight and the type of win we'll have to produce more of because teams aren't going to let us play this free flowing football all season. They'll be more "Bolton" matches than "Derby" matches in the coming months. 

We are approaching the time we started our fall last season but our performances are much better so I'm hopeful we will retain some form but I don't expect us to be picking up 1.7 ppg through the winter months(I'd take it!!). We seem much steadier this season.

17 minutes ago, Cider red said:

I actually thought that was a dire performance against a terrible side. I'll take playing badly and picking up points. But lets not get carried away.

We did enough . We kept knocking at the door but we didn't need to wear ourselves out when we have a difficult away match coming up Saturday.

It was a professional performance.

29 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

To have a dire performance in which we win 2-0 with 20 shots and 70% possession must be a good thing...

20 shots? I'm amazed at that statistic. Their keeper (who actually was excellent for them) did make a few saves but the vast majority of those shots must have been very tame or way off target as I barely remember 5 shots.

It wasn't a dire performance, it was 'efficient'. We saw off an awful team and were totally comfortable doing so.

40 minutes ago, Cider red said:

I actually thought that was a dire performance against a terrible side. I'll take playing badly and picking up points. But lets not get carried away.

We were poor until the goal but I thought it was a professional performance, and one that could have been a real banana skin.

It's harder than you think to play against a side with absolutely no desire to play football. 

43 minutes ago, Cider red said:

I would say it wasn't very fluent but not dire. Bolton are a poor side and did their best to foul our players and hence having one player sent off but we found a way of beating a stubborn team. 3 points in the bag, 10 unbeaten and move on to Ipswich

I didn't enjoy the game at all tonight, partly as mentioned in another thread because the advertising hoarding were making it difficult to see, partly because it was a scrappy game against the poorest side I've seen at AG in years.

We did enough to win the game and sometimes that has to be enough. On that showing, Bolton will be down by Valentines Day.

3 minutes ago, WesM said:

I didn't enjoy the game at all tonight, partly as mentioned in another thread because the advertising hoarding were making it difficult to see, partly because it was a scrappy game against the poorest side I've seen at AG in years.

We did enough to win the game and sometimes that has to be enough. On that showing, Bolton will be down by Valentines Day.

Noo, I'm NOT having that.......I give you Rotherham !

We have been spoilt with the home performances against Derby and Stoke, they were fantastic and will live long in the memory. But it's not going to happen every week, hence why those performances were so good. Tonight was a job done / workmanlike performance against a team that has no points but is full of experience and quality in certain areas who came to stop us playing. We could have lost that game last year, certainly may have drawn it.  Wins a win against a different style of play, and onwards and upwards to Ipswich. Well done City, I continue to be encouraged by what I saw tonight.   

1 hour ago, Cider red said:

Bolton came with a game plan. Sit behind the ball , break up play , slow the game down , get in our faces etc etc. They done that for most of the first half  teams are allowed to try and stop us playing . They didn't let us get our game going but we ground out the points . 

I thought we played a lot of very neat one touch stuff against a team that was limiting space. Our center forward who comes in for stick in this place scored again and Birmingham supporters must be apoplectic about Flint. 

Bryan is class, Korey Smith played well, but can people stop the ironic shooooot, because he will and it never ends well!

Two great saves from their keeper and Elliason looks the part off the bench as did the other two subs. All in All we did good!

Funny one tonight.  Difficult to play the high press that brings exciting football when the away team don’t want to keep the ball.  Bit similar to Millwall in that respect.

Tonight, for however decent Bailey Wright played, we missed a footballing right back.  We were a bit lopsided.

We also missed that creative, attacking midfielder tonight, who could break the lines.

But we were pretty much in control all game, and although there wasn’t tonnes of goalmouth action there were enough chances to have won more handsomely.

Brief ratings tonight: don’t usually do half’s, but have tonight

Fielding - 6 - one notable save for a wobbling shot

Wright - 6 - decent defensively (7), not a ball player (5)

Bryan - 8 - my MOTM - two tough ian opponents tonight, never looked uncertain, offered plenty in their half

Flint - 7 - goal and "solid as" at the back.  I liked that he took a yellow for losing Madine.

Baker - 7 - fairly faultless, left a few Bolton players knowing he was playing tonight

O’Dowda - 7.5 - gave us a very good display, got the ball, run with it....just needs a goal and he’ll be on fire.

Paterson - 6.5 - set up Fam, did some nice bits, but not in the game enough

Smith - 7 - Good pressing 1st half, got forward second.  Got some stick unfairly from the LS boo-boys.  People don’t see all the stuff he does off the ball, and the shuttles to create space.

Pack - 6.5 - average first half, much better second

Reid - 7 - worked his socks off without seeing the ball first half, sublime touch in second for Pato. So willing.

Diedhiou - 7.5 - got his goal, worked channels well in first half when I think it suited us to go a bit direct in our best spell.  Gave us an option, and took Beevers and Buthead (Wheater) away from our little players.  Unselfish.

Eliasson - 6.5 - promise, would’ve been a Bryan-esque goal with right peg.

Woodrow / Taylor - n/a

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Funny one tonight.  Difficult to play the high press that brings exciting football when the away team don’t want to keep the ball.  Bit similar to Millwall in that respect.

Tonight, for however decent Bailey Wright played, we missed a footballing right back.  We were a bit lopsided.

We also missed that creative, attacking midfielder tonight, who could break the lines.

But we were pretty much in control all game, and although there wasn’t tonnes of goalmouth action there were enough chances to have won more handsomely.

Brief ratings tonight: don’t usually do half’s, but have tonight

Fielding - 6 - one notable save for a wobbling shot

Wright - 6 - decent defensively (7), not a ball player (5)

Bryan - 8 - my MOTM - two tough ian opponents tonight, never looked uncertain, offered plenty in their half

Flint - 7 - goal and "solid as" at the back.  I liked that he took a yellow for losing Madine.

Baker - 7 - fairly faultless, left a few Bolton players knowing he was playing tonight

O’Dowda - 7.5 - gave us a very good display, got the ball, run with it....just needs a goal and he’ll be on fire.

Paterson - 6.5 - set up Fam, did some nice bits, but not in the game enough

Smith - 7 - Good pressing 1st half, got forward second.  Got some stick unfairly from the LS boo-boys.  People don’t see all the stuff he does off the ball, and the shuttles to create space.

Pack - 6.5 - average first half, much better second

Reid - 7 - worked his socks off without seeing the ball first half, sublime touch in second for Pato. So willing.

Diedhiou - 7.5 - got his goal, worked channels well in first half when I think it suited us to go a bit direct in our best spell.  Gave us an option, and took Beevers and Buthead (Wheater) away from our little players.  Unselfish.

Eliasson - 6.5 - promise, would’ve been a Bryan-esque goal with right peg.

Woodrow / Taylor - n/a

Pretty much had the same ratings :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Cider red said:

It's very hard sometimes not to get dragged down to some teams level, I think tonight was one of those times.

Thoroughly professional. I found it a little boring I must say as I did when we played Millwall, both set up to stop us playing and killed it as a spectacle. Would love to see a playmaker in central midfield as I think other teams will follow Millwall and Boltons approach 

Archived