IGNORED

Fam

gordie

I thought he was good last night, though not man of the match (that should have gone to Korey Smith just for his workrate).  Bolton were a big, nasty side and someone needed to cope with their physicality and I thought Famara did that admirably.  It was never going to be a night for skillful and cultured football, but it needed a few 'warriors' (to quote Lee Johnson last season) and I thought that Famara gave us exactly that.

42 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I worry about the chances we create. I know it sounds stupid, but I think we're being very clinical at the moment without necessarily creating too many clear cut chances. 

Interestingly it's actually quite the opposite.  The graph below is now a little out of date (it does not include the games against Norwich or Bolton). However it shows that whilst you're correct we are being clinical: taking only 8 shots per goal scored, we are also creating the fifth highest number of chances per match.  If we were being clinical but without actually creating many chances then we'd be somewhere near Ipswich and Burton.

Looking at the Norwich game, we scored no goals but took 10 shots, and against Bolton we obviously scored 2 goals and we took 20 shots to do so.  So over those two matches we kept up our ratio of 15 shots in each game. However our shot:goal ratio took a little hit given that we were 1:15 in those two games instead of the 1:8 we have shown over August/September.

Note that this is talking about clear shots and not "chances" as you mentioned.  However I think it shows that we really are the "Constant Threat" as shown below.2017-09-17-ch-att.png?w=860

Graph from https://experimental361.com/2017/09/17/scatter-graphics-championship-17-sep-2017/

Norwich and Bolton stats from BBC match reports.

15 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

I've noticed this and it's really strange to see. He's what 6'2/3? He sort of leaps and maybe gets 1/5 balls in the air against similar sized or smaller opponents. His finishing is getting better too, although yesterdays goal wouldn't have you believing that seeing he basically slid it in 

Yes, I've noticed he seems to mistime his jumps. Always seems to leap a little early, so is often on the way down whilst the opposing defender is on the way up. 

I know it's a cliche, but the Championship is a very physical league, and I imagine that he's had to adapt more than how he plays the game. I imagine he's had to put on some muscle, and as a result has had to improve his cardio to deal with that extra bulk.

It's certainly not a quick process, so it could be a few months before we see the "real" Diedhiou.

53 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

I think that's a fair point in general. Although I don't think we played very well last night the Notlob keeper still made three or four good saves, he looked their only good player really. I think we lacked energy last night but still could have won by four or so.

what's with this notlob thing, am I missing something, and yes I know it's Bolton backwards.

26 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Interestingly it's actually quite the opposite.  The graph below is now a little out of date (it does not include the games against Norwich or Bolton). However it shows that whilst you're correct we are being clinical: taking only 8 shots per goal scored, we are also creating the fifth highest number of chances per match.  If we were being clinical but without actually creating many chances then we'd be somewhere near Ipswich and Burton.

Looking at the Norwich game, we scored no goals but took 10 shots, and against Bolton we obviously scored 2 goals and we took 20 shots to do so.  So over those two matches we kept up our ratio of 15 shots in each game. However our shot:goal ratio took a little hit given that we were 1:15 in those two games instead of the 1:8 we have shown over August/September.

Note that this is talking about clear shots and not "chances" as you mentioned.  However I think it shows that we really are the "Constant Threat" as shown below.2017-09-17-ch-att.png?w=860

Graph from https://experimental361.com/2017/09/17/scatter-graphics-championship-17-sep-2017/

Norwich and Bolton stats from BBC match reports.

I am trying to work out whether my wife would describe me as  ineffectual or Energetically Wasteful and which I would be most offended by. :) 

1 hour ago, Coxy27 said:

Funny how people's opinions can differ so wildly. Someone on a different thread described him as 'brilliant' last night. I'm with Super, though I wouldn't use the word 'poor' - The whole team just did what was needed last night and not really any more.

Yes, they are just wrong (if they differ from mine) !     :P

I think he is getting used to the pace of the championship now so is having more of an influence.

I don't think he had a great game last night but it was hard for him to get into the game with the opposition sitting back and letting us have possession.

He got his goal and overall did ok. Hard for him with a £5m price tag around his neck. I think if he had cost £2-£3m we would be happy with how he has started.

Fact is he was poor in the first few games (Barnsley aside) but has been much improved since his brilliant substitute appearance against Derby. 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

I worry about the chances we create. I know it sounds stupid, but I think we're being very clinical at the moment without necessarily creating too many clear cut chances. 

The exception to this was when Woodrow started up front against Derby. I thought the link up play up top was a hundred times better that day. 

That being said, Diedhiou is definitely getting better. But I wonder if Woodrow is better for the team?

I must admit I think Woodrow would fit our style of play better as well. Problem is you can't really change a winning formula and a strike partnership that keeps scoring. Be nice if Woodrow did get more stats though or at least a decent amount of time as a sub.

2 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

Funny how people's opinions can differ so wildly. Someone on a different thread described him as 'brilliant' last night. I'm with Super, though I wouldn't use the word 'poor' - The whole team just did what was needed last night and not really any more.

He was excellent last night , ask Bolton players if they thought he was ' poor ' . 

He reminds me a bit of Wayne Allison , not elegant to watch but effective and a goal threat .

Five goals , not too shabby either ! 

Every game there are glimpses of what he can do and why we paid what we paid for him.

My biggest disappointment is when I watched him play for Angers at Lorient he looked strong and difficult to ease off of the ball and believe me for Angers he played in an incredibly isolated role up top but held the ball up really well. Now I fully accept that the physicality of the French game and the English game are as wide as the English channel but I really think that he needs to be stronger at certain times, sometimes he looks like a player that is incredibly easy to move around, by looking at him he obviously has the strength but perhaps is just too nice at times. 

I maybe wrong but I seem to recall that he was booked quite a few times for Angers, maybe he needs to put himself about a bit more?.

27 minutes ago, Fiale said:

I must admit I think Woodrow would fit our style of play better as well. Problem is you can't really change a winning formula and a strike partnership that keeps scoring. Be nice if Woodrow did get more stats though or at least a decent amount of time as a sub.

It is interesting the different takes on things. I thought Woodrow was pretty poor other than his goal, and his first touch was not great. Clearly lacking much first team football and I am sure he a talent but I thought we were a lot better when Fam came on against Derby. Then again the game was more stretched at that point so thus why Fam was getting a lot more space.

3 hours ago, kevthered said:

I would say it was close between him and Joe Bryan.....Fammy worked his socks off last night against a stubborn defence and scored a good goal, he holds the ball up brilliantly and as others said made space for others. It was pretty close for me

I made a comment 'he scores that's all', and you rubbished it, it was a compliment you twit :facepalm:

1 hour ago, MichaelRobartes said:

I don't know really. When I was a kid all the other football fans I knew called them that so I always have done since.

And there it is Michael " when I was a kid " .

As an adult you can't reverse the letters of an opposing club at all . Where would it all end ? 

We'd have offended supporters of Notreve , Mahluf and company clogging up OTIB with their justifiable complaints .

Stop it this very instance.

5 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

He's only going to get better. 5 goals already . Still room for improvement. I thought he had a decent game last night. At his current rate he could hit 15-20 goals this season. Which his quite possible. I think he's a decent player who's learning all the time.

15-20 makes him worth about £10m - ergo great signing! 

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

And there it is Michael " when I was a kid " .

As an adult you can't reverse the letters of an opposing club at all . Where would it all end ? 

We'd have offended supporters of Notreve , Mahluf and company clogging up OTIB with their justifiable complaints .

Stop it this very instance.

I think Notreve and Mahluf are better names anyway. Being an adult is rubbish.

Seems to me that he is a nice guy with a smile on his face. If he was more aggressive in his play perhaps that would give him the bit extra to really look the part? If you are going to play that kind of role, perhaps having an akinbiyi type attitude is ideal, though goater did alright as well

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

People who thought he was poor, what game were you watching? He won a lot of headers against 2 huge centre backs. Scored a goal. Held it up and linked up well and worked his socks off. He seems quicker and fitter than what he did a few weeks ago. A great performance against Stoke and a great impact sub vs Derby, he's in great form. 

You've hit the nail on the head, they probably listened to it on the radio

Archived