IGNORED

Lee Johnson (Again)

kevthered

As much as I like to hear from Dean Holden and Jamie MaCallister I feel that Lee is the organ grinder and in charge, I feel he should be doing pre game interviews as well as post. I would like to hear Jamie's views and Dean's afterwards but foremost I want to hears from Lee Johnson first. Maybe nit picking here but does annoy me, surely it's Lees job. Apart from that hunky dory

I actually like that LJ isn't doing pressers any more.

One thing that got on everyone's nerves last season was LJ spouting bullshit while the team was in free-fall. From my perspective, it looks like he's taken that on board, and is choosing to stick to coaching and communicating to the players - essentially focusing more on the coaching aspect of the job than the management side.

4 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

I actually like that LJ isn't doing pressers any more.

One thing that got on everyone's nerves last season was LJ spouting bullshit while the team was in free-fall. From my perspective, it looks like he's taken that on board, and is choosing to stick to coaching and communicating to the players - essentially focusing more on the coaching aspect of the job than the management side.

Yea I get that, but he really should learn from those comments and make the necessary improvements. He is head coach and for me he should be doing the interviews foremost, he got plenty of time to focus on coaching, interviews only takes 10 minutes before and after a game.

28 minutes ago, kevthered said:

Yea I get that, but he really should learn from those comments and make the necessary improvements. He is head coach and for me he should be doing the interviews foremost, he got plenty of time to focus on coaching, interviews only takes 10 minutes before and after a game.

That's exactly why I think he shouldn't be doing them. He's not the manager, he's the head coach. The management of the team seems to be handled by the coaches and Ashton, so it's only natural that someone from that team does the pressers. LJ has the gift of bullshit, but since we're still at the start of the season I doubt he wants to bother with them.

A side effect of LJ not doing all the pressers is that it's actually doing Holdens rep some good.

If you remember last season, and particularly the bad run, Dean Holden got pelters on here. Some of that was his prior record, some of it was because people didn't know him.

Fast forward to this year - DH appears on Radio Bristol, does the pressers and comes over as articulate and intelligent. That gives belief in him from the fanbase which was lacking last year - and if he hadn't done them, would he be viewed any better than he was in say Feb this year?

Maybe Johnson is accutely aware of the animosity felt towards him by chunks of the fan base, and had stepped back while things were at a head, so as not to fuel the negativity.

As that animosity starts to cool or shrink as results and performances pick up, he will start to get more active again.

If you watch him after the final whistle, he is gradually coming further across the pitch to applaud the fans with each game.

If people want him more front of house more quickly, i would hope it is to applaud him, not to knock him. 

Just can't win some situations.. last year he was getting pelted from every direction for speaking to much, accused of saying the same shit etc etc. He said he learnt a lot from last year and imo this is one of them, I find it refreshing to hear different voices and as other posters have said we get to see what DH is really about. So far this season he has come away from his interviews in a better position then he started.  

I was listening to the Totally Football League podcast today. They had Justin Edinburgh on. My word he is the opposite of what we have here. The only things he could talk about were players "sticking together" and having a "good ethic" etc. Didn't talk about strategy, tactics etc once despite being given lots of opportunity. Old school motivator and nothing else. 

"Do you think Bolton will stay up?" 

"If they stick together, yes." What a dreadful answer. I should think there's an awful lot more to it than just whether they're all friends or not.

Sorry for the anti-Justin Edinburgh rant. But it did make me think how well the three that we've got here speak. 

3 hours ago, The Chaplain said:

I'm the opposite, I think it shows a unity among the whole coaching staff, a confidence that the same message will come from any one of them and a refreshing lack of ego.  Sign of good man management too I reckon.

And it also helps all the coaches to develop their communication skills. The same goes for having one player involved in the pre match press conference. It's showing that we are one team on and off the field and that all parts of it are valued.

We still get the same messages but presented in differing ways by many more members of the club. Very good for the self esteem of all on the playing/coaching side.

1 hour ago, Mad Cyril said:

Maybe Johnson is accutely aware of the animosity felt towards him by chunks of the fan base, and had stepped back while things were at a head, so as not to fuel the negativity.

As that animosity starts to cool or shrink as results and performances pick up, he will start to get more active again.

If you watch him after the final whistle, he is gradually coming further across the pitch to applaud the fans with each game.

If people want him more front of house more quickly, i would hope it is to applaud him, not to knock him. 

Yep think it's a deliberate thing - the stepping back a bit.

i'm just pleased we're talking about this rather than whether he should still be in the job!

24 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I think it's reasonable to share responsibility for the media stuff.  Probably part of LJ building his coaches into a team. 

Yes, good development for them too.  Jamie Mac is much better now than his U23 interviews.

It's to LJ's credit he isn't hogging all the press conferences after good performances too.  Easy to face the questions when things are going well.

1 hour ago, Red Army Faction said:

It's to LJ's credit he isn't hogging all the press conferences after good performances too.  Easy to face the questions when things are going well.

This is the key point for me - it's actually about his good management of his coaching staff.. the classic trick in football generally used to be to send out the assistant after a heavy defeat as it gives the impression you are too busy bollocking the players. In fact I suspect this created resentment among the coaching staff put up as a "lamb to the slaugher".

Sending out DH and JM with things going well is excellent management in my book.

Archived