IGNORED

Seat Numbers on Signage

Barkhamred

@RedM has been asking for seat numbers to be added to signage in the concourses to help people enter the stands through the correct vomitories (sorry @Dollymarie). The FAN meeting response from the club that this was not an issue that needed attention because they had only had a few complaints about this.

I think this a very sensible suggestion but would not think of contacting the club about such a matter as I'm sure is the case with a lot of you on here. 

I have started this thread to suggest that those who think this would help the match day experience add to it to aid @RedM's case

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There is a steward to direct always by the vomitory (assuming there is a steward by the vomitory, which isn't always the case).

Often there isn't any. In any case I'm an independent person with enough intelligence not to get confused by extra writing on signage (one of the reasons @Mkellysaid it couldn't be done) so I like to think if the signs had the detail I suggested I could find my own way without having to bother stewards who frankly have better things to do. Obviously I can find my way to my seat as I've sat in it for a few years now, but it was more for people who sit in different places each match, an indication of where their seat is might save unnecessary disruption. 

Personally, I don't think this is an issue.

As long as you see the block numbers you can figure it out from there.  There are also stewards to ask.

There may be an argument for doing this in the away end, but all season ticket holders in the home ends will know their seats, so the number of newbies is relatively small.   If you have ever been to AG before tiu know the rows are in ascending order, and you'll also get to see where you seat is wen you book.  (Is a picture of the seat location shown on the ticket PDF?  Maybe the coukd be an option instead of signage?)

Too much signage is an assault of the senses.  Ain't needed for this IMHO.

5 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

As long as you see the block numbers you can figure it out from there.  There are also stewards to ask.

There may be an argument for doing this in the away end, but all season ticket holders in the home ends will know their seats, so the number of newbies is relatively small.   If you have ever been to AG before tiu know the rows are in ascending order, and you'll also get to see where you seat is wen you book.  (Is a picture of the seat location shown on the ticket PDF?  Maybe the coukd be an option instead of signage?)

You're not talking about additional signage though, would just be something on the same sign below the block number with 1-(half way down the row) and the opposite on the other sign for same block number at the other entrance. 

8 minutes ago, hodge said:

You're not talking about additional signage though, would just be something on the same sign below the block number with 1-(half way down the row) and the opposite on the other sign for same block number at the other entrance. 

Its the amount of information that is an assault for me.  Same sign or not.  I'm dyslexic so can find it more confusing than helpful. I just can't take it in if there too much and lose the important stuff in the waffle. (Some roads are overwhelming withe amount of information thrown at you).  

The trick is to give just enough to be helpful.  Which I think the club does now with just giving the block numbers.  Gets you away from the concourse quickly, then you can figure it out from there when you see the row numbers and one of the seat numbers as you enter.  

1 hour ago, Red Army Faction said:

Agree completely, not sure the club need to go out of there way for a few fans that don't pay attention to where there seat is.

You see people who just completely guess, once you locate your block using the signage already displayed it shouldn't be that hard.

i dont see there is a need for this, 

the blocks are marked out, and there arent that many seats between blocks to move people, if you do go in the wrong side. 

most people know where their seats are as they sit in thee same seat most weeks. 

and its only for new people where there are there usually stewards. 

are there that many people that need this, after their first visit, i dont think, 

2 hours ago, RedM said:

Often there isn't any. In any case I'm an independent person with enough intelligence not to get confused by extra writing on signage (one of the reasons @Mkellysaid it couldn't be done) so I like to think if the signs had the detail I suggested I could find my own way without having to bother stewards who frankly have better things to do. Obviously I can find my way to my seat as I've sat in it for a few years now, but it was more for people who sit in different places each match, an indication of where their seat is might save unnecessary disruption. 

I think @MKelly has this one totally wrong. It makes perfect sense to add the seat numbers.

Interesting to read the very mixed replies, I appreciate the debate and feedback but there is no current plan to do this.

We do an annual review at the end of each season and after 2 seasons in the new development and 2 million visitors, it's not something that is felt necessary. 

The key is a well trained steward who is there to help and that's the focus for the time being.

1 hour ago, Mkelly said:

Interesting to read the very mixed replies, I appreciate the debate and feedback but there is no current plan to do this.

We do an annual review at the end of each season and after 2 seasons in the new development and 2 million visitors, it's not something that is felt necessary. 

The key is a well trained steward who is there to help and that's the focus for the time being.

Deleted. I just can't be bothered.

12 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

On another note Mike, is there anything that can be done to stop people leaving their seats 5 mins before half time and before the end of the game, blocking everyone elses view?

It's Mark.

@wendyredredrobin

You don't sit in the Dolman perchance? :yawn:

@RedM

Am sure you are. It doesn't take much for people to have a look, each row,  is numbered- perhaps a steward could point out the best way to enter- end of row etc. Suppose can see a need for some more signage but it doesn't seem much in demand.

Unmanned vomitories? Well they shouldn't be but will always depend on numbers I guess.

10 hours ago, RedM said:

Obviously I can find my way to my seat as I've sat in it for a few years now, but it was more for people who sit in different places each match, an indication of where their seat is might save unnecessary disruption. 

With respect you seem to asking for something here that you think might be a problem for other people. 

If it's a problem for those people let them raise it as an issue.  If lots of people do then it is something for the club to address. (Sounds like it hasn't really registered as an issue from people affected).

33 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

People to the right of me, obviously rugby enthusiasts, sat in ST holder seats yesterday. Third time this season.

....I think we know a song about this don't we?  ... join in if you know it, altogether now...

"Fools to the left of me, jokers to the right.. Here I am stuck in the middle with you'' ... :preacher: 

It seems odd to me that the answer is to go ask a steward. Why not make a simple change to the signs that allows everyone to know - rather than queue up to talk to a steward? That just seems a very odd suggestion.

As I understand it we have around 13k ST holders. If we sell out we will have maybe 8-9k extra home fans in the ground. Even as a former ST holder I can't remember which end the numbers start from in each block.

It just seems like common sense to allow customers to find their way efficiently to their seat. Of course we are talking about customer service here - not something football clubs are traditionally bothered about sadly. A response of 'ask someone' is classic from an industry that treats us as a nuisance rather than the reason they exist in the first place.

14 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

It seems odd to me that the answer is to go ask a steward. Why not make a simple change to the signs that allows everyone to know - rather than queue up to talk to a steward? That just seems a very odd suggestion.

As I understand it we have around 13k ST holders. If we sell out we will have maybe 8-9k extra home fans in the ground. Even as a former ST holder I can't remember which end the numbers start from in each block.

It just seems like common sense to allow customers to find their way efficiently to their seat. Of course we are talking about customer service here - not something football clubs are traditionally bothered about sadly. A response of 'ask someone' is classic from an industry that treats us as a nuisance rather than the reason they exist in the first place.

I did write a reply and then deleted it because as I said I just couldn't be bothered last night, but basically it said just what you are saying. I like to be independant and if I can do something myself I will, I would never bother a Steward for something like where is my seat as they should have enough to do with heightened security issues etc. And anyway by the time you have walked through the enterances, climbed stairs and found a steward you aren't going to exit back into the concourse again to use the correct entrance for the end of your row are you? To do as @Mkellyis suggesting would mean a steward at each entrance in the concourse, which is ridiculous and I've never seen stewards at these points.

All I was suggesting is seat numbers added to signage to show E24 seats 0-20 (basically saying use this enterance) E24 Seats 21-40 etc, etc. As I said lots of other grounds I have been to have this, but it seems what others grounds do have (lights dimmed during night matches) isn't available to us. 

Archived