IGNORED

COD's wallop

where's the joy

there is something about this lad that promises so much.

yet there is something missing. perhaps its confidence.

perhaps its his first goal, maybe its just hitting the ball at goal with one hell of a wallop. whatever the answer we haven't seen the best of him yet.

doesn't look right on the right wing and never trusts his right foot, but would centre mid suit him better alongside Korey, left back allowing Joe to play ahead of him

is he the next tinman?

at oxford he ran games with a swagger. hope we can find the answer and bring that 'bossiness' to our play 

but please don't persist with him on the right. lovely player in need of his ideal position

16 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

perhaps its his first goal, maybe its just hitting the ball at goal with one hell of a wallop. whatever the answer we haven't seen the best of him yet.

doesn't look right on the right wing and never trusts his right foot, but would centre mid suit him better alongside Korey, left back allowing Joe to play ahead of him

is he the next tinman?

at oxford he ran games with a swagger. hope we can find the answer and bring that 'bossiness' to our play 

but please don't persist with him on the right. lovely player in need of his ideal position

I still don't see progression from him. He just doesn't seem to have an end product. Not doubting his work rate but Leko or Eliasson look to have more about them. LJ likes a worker though hence COD getting the nod. Hope Leko hasn't fallen out of favour because of one poor half. 

22 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

I still don't see progression from him. He just doesn't seem to have an end product. Not doubting his work rate but Leko or Eliasson look to have more about them. LJ likes a worker though hence COD getting the nod. Hope Leko hasn't fallen out of favour because of one poor half. 

He’s even progressed this season! Yes, Leko and Eliasson are probably more easy on the eye - but you need defensively minded wingers, especially with Pisano out.

I very much doubt Leko has ‘fallen out of favour’ (just like the time you said Eliasson had been forgotten as he didn’t feature when he first arrived!). LJ clearly felt we needed O’Dowda’s attributes last night - and seeing as we won it’s hard to argue against his selection.

He has potential in amundance. For me, he just needs to improve his dribbling slightly, he always seems to knock the ball 4/5 yards ahead of him, almost like he's over hit a first touch by accident or something. 

Reminds me a lot of Joe Bryan in the fact that he's just a pure athlete. Last night was his best league game for us since he's been here for sure. 

Rated extremely highly by all his national coaches too, and MO'N/Roy Keane aren't exactly shy of experience. Think he'll be one of the first on the team sheet in 2 seasons or so. 

O'Dowda is a good player, in time he will be an even better one. Last night he got one shot in that was nearly a goal, the Bolton keeper made a fine save. What did concern me is that he always attacked inside a player and never went outside. I appreciate that he very much prefers his left foot, but surely he must use his right foot occasionally too? If not he needs some coaching. Similarly someone could do with coaching him so that he goes occasionally attack on the outside when playing on the right. 

He is a gifted player I acknowledge that if he had the ability to use both feet and to attack on both sides of a defence he would be one hell of a player. My view is that he has improved a lot this season and especially as the season has gone on. We have a decent coaching set up, maybe the coaching staff can further develop him?

To put this in context, he is an asset who could be even better.

• Admin
1 hour ago, where's the joy said:

whatever the answer we haven't seen the best of him yet.

at oxford he ran games with a swagger. 

I hope that is the case, he just needs to learn to use his right peg

Curious how many Oxford games you saw to know this?

Agree, needs to be central or on the left - but have to say he played well out there against Sjoke

Last season I called him a poor man's Luke Freeman. He played well last night, didn't stop running, looked strong and kept possession well. But, as others have noted, it's the end product that we need to see. Freeman would beat players for fun, then stop and pass backwards, thus undoing all his good work. COD didn't do that as much yesterday. Best I've seen him play.

What Eliasson showed in his 30mins cameo was the ability to cross, and he seemed deadlier in the final third. Helps he's both footed. I really like the look of him and good things are expected. I also think he'll turn out to be a better player than COD or Paterson. 

5 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

Last season I called him a poor man's Luke Freeman. He played well last night, didn't stop running, looked strong and kept possession well. But, as others have noted, it's the end product that we need to see. Freeman would beat players for fun, then stop and pass backwards, thus undoing all his good work. COD didn't do that as much yesterday. Best I've seen him play.

What Eliasson showed in his 30mins cameo was the ability to cross, and he seemed deadlier in the final third. Helps he's both footed. I really like the look of him and good things are expected. I also think he'll turn out to be a better player than COD or Paterson. 

I am / was a  Freeman fan , but COD will have a better career than Luke (IMHO)

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Outstanding season from odowda so far. Improved a lot in a year. He has outstanding balance and pace. Very excited by this kid. Brilliant attitude, never stops running. Why be negative about such a promising young player? He has improved a lot, and believe it or not it takes more than one season when jumping up two divisions to championship level at 21, to become the complete package.

I think we are pretty fair on players on here, for the most part.  I don't believe in spouting  positivity for the sake of it. It's when you're winning that you should be looking to keep on improving and looking for even more from players. COD is certainly a lot better that last season. By some distance. A long way to go though.  

Last night was the best I've seen from O'Dowda and he was a handful for Bolton's defence all night. More end product is needed,  but he seems to have improved from last season. Looks like he could become an exciting player.

Eliasson put in some excellent crosses when he came on - something O'Dowda needs to do more.

Question from an exile about CO'D on the left. It seems that we are playing a fairly narrow midfield at times, e.g. Pato never looks like a left-winger when he's out there. (I'd be interested in a "heat map" of his touches - I bet most would be in the centre.) Is the left-footed COD deliberately played on the right just so that he cuts in. Is that something that helps us tactically? ie... Pato also comes central, Korey drops back, we have a midfield "overload", and Bryan and Pisano/ Wright have space to move forward on the wings.

Is that something that we have been doing? I see the games on BCTV but interested in the perspective of those seeing us in the flesh! 

It seems that COD hasn't been beating players on the outside down the right and whipping crosses in... but maybe that's not what's being asked of him. 

After a hesitant first 30 mins where he kept cutting back and incessantly cruyff turning, COD really grew into the game and became, IMO, our best player. Just needs to back himself and keep running at players and taking them on; he's shown in the past few games that he is more than good enough for this level!

With his other attributes (pace, energy, defensive work etc) he just needs to add the end product to his game (i.e. goals) and he will become a really big player for us.. I don't think he's that far off personally 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I hope that is the case, he just needs to learn to use his right peg

Curious how many Oxford games you saw to know this?

Agree, needs to be central or on the left - but have to say he played well out there against Sjoke

saw him play twice and my neighbour is an oxford fan who wouldn't stop going on about him and the keemar lad who went  to leeds. i was impressed played more centrally

I can see why he is a useful asset away from home.  Strong and athletic and can carry the ball forwards.  However, he's got Luke Freeman's habit of slowing play down as well as being goal shy.  For a winger that is worrying.  It will be interesting to see if his confidence jumps if and when he finally scores.

Last night would have been the perfect opportunity to start Eliason in a league game.  He looks a threat both in terms of delivery and scoring goals himself. 

I'm pretty much in agreement with a lot of other posters in that I believe there is a really good player to come out of him. 

To me he just didn't seem to know what to do at the final moment and a lot of that could change with a goal. 

Elliasson did look good last night and I am struggling to remember having as good as the squad we've got at the moment. 

LJ will have some tough decisions soon enough when Pisano returns. As competition to get in the bench is getting hard enough. 

Even if he is completely left footed, going outside once or twice a game will make cutting inside an even more effective tool when he uses it as the defender won't know for sure which way he is going.

Robben is very one footed but still world class. He's able to do the things he does because he's willing to go outside onto his wrong foot occasionally which creates a little bit of extra space for him to cut into when he decides to do that.

COD needs to learn the same - even if it does mean he mishits a few crosses or blasts shots into the side netting every so often.

On 27/09/2017 at 13:24, where's the joy said:

is he the next tinman?

so pleased to see this lad get his first two goals and getting to be one of the first names on the team sheet. MOM for me today. the futures bright for him alright but the present is pretty good too, lets enjoy a lad coming of age, if we can keep hold of him.

Archived