IGNORED

Players that were better "live" than you thought.

Ashtonwurzel

Robert  Pires. Had the skill but thought he was a bit lightweight.

Watched him play in an FA Cup game at Old Trafford, what a player.

Wenger had left Henry on the bench and the Arsenal fans were going mental. Manu couldn't get the ball off Pires he was so much stronger than I imagined he almost ran the game from out wide. Arse won 2/0. He was outstanding that day.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Interesting thread.

Robbie Savage was one.

Coming to the end of his career at Derby and played us at AG. Just sat in centre midfield spraying passes about, keeping it simple but organising the tempo.

Was impressed and don’t think I’d have noticed him on TV - you miss all the organising he was doing.

His "studs into the midriff of a City player" was perfectly timed. I won't argue about his football skill, but in real time, he was even more a "dirty bxxtard" than I ever saw on TV.

A player that sticks in my mind, Denis Bergkamp for Arsenal.  Not that he was ever s**t on the TV but live, something else completely.  Saw him at (old) Highbury vs Fulham, Nov 2003.  He played one exquisite pass that was worth the entrance fee on its own, didn't even look but his pass (half the length of the pitch) found an Arsenal player, inch perfect. When I applauded, the guy next to me on the North Bank simply said 'we see that every week'......think it ended up being Arsenal's only goalless draw all season!! (van der Sar played out of his skin in goal for Fulham, too).

For a team - Newcastle Utd, League Cup, Sept 1995, night game - simply sensational.  They looked good on the TV but live...another level.  Ginola in particular was outstanding, when he got subbed most of the Dolman applauded him off, sensational.  But when you look at their team, 5 nil flattered us!!

A privilege to have been at both of those games.

1 hour ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Graham Rix (on loan with Brentford ?) was also a class apart when I saw him live.

Was that the game they beat us 3-2 (3-0 Down at ht) in the pouring rain, with Andy Sinton, Steve Perryman (player-manager) playing?

A couple of City players first:

Joe Jordan - such a better footballer than I thought, not just a targetman, lean as a butchers dog.

Aaron Wilbraham  - such a better footballer than I thought, not just a targetman, lean as a butchers dog.

Others:

Emlyn Hughes (rip) in the pre-match charity game at Wembley v Mansfield.

Paul Stewart - Spurs v Coventry, his touch, his timing of runs, his awareness of his team-mates movement.

There are probably lots of players who I never thought were special at the top level, but when you saw them on their way Down / late in their career, you realised how good they were.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was that the game they beat us 3-2 (3-0 Down at ht) in the pouring rain, with Andy Sinton, Steve Perryman (player-manager) playing?

A couple of City players first:

Joe Jordan - such a better footballer than I thought, not just a targetman, lean as a butchers dog.

Aaron Wilbraham  - such a better footballer than I thought, not just a targetman, lean as a butchers dog.

Others:

Emlyn Hughes (rip) in the pre-match charity game at Wembley v Mansfield.

Paul Stewart - Spurs v Coventry, his touch, his timing of runs, his awareness of his team-mates movement.

There are probably lots of players who I never thought were special at the top level, but when you saw them on their way Down / late in their career, you realised how good they were.

It was raining and we lost so probably yes.

Two players I saw at different times impressed me. Bearing in mind that I saw almost nothing of the first on TV and not a lot more of the second.

John White of Tottenham, tragically killed by lightning, was an important cog in the Spurs team of 1961 who won the First Division  and FA Cup, the first team to achieve that in the 20th century. A midfield creator who was nicknamed "The Ghost" because he almost moved around the pitch unseen creating openings for the goalscorers to achieve what was thought to be impossible in those days - A Double.

Geoff Hurst is famous for his goals in the World Cup final but when I saw him live a couple of years later for Wham against Forest, I saw a player who carved openings for himself and others with his intelligent movement up front. Very impressed.

24 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

A player that sticks in my mind, Denis Bergkamp for Arsenal.  Not that he was ever s**t on the TV but live, something else completely.  Saw him at (old) Highbury vs Fulham, Nov 2003.  He played one exquisite pass that was worth the entrance fee on its own, didn't even look but his pass (half the length of the pitch) found an Arsenal player, inch perfect. When I applauded, the guy next to me on the North Bank simply said 'we see that every week'......think it ended up being Arsenal's only goalless draw all season!! (van der Sar played out of his skin in goal for Fulham, too).

For a team - Newcastle Utd, League Cup, Sept 1995, night game - simply sensational.  They looked good on the TV but live...another level.  Ginola in particular was outstanding, when he got subbed most of the Dolman applauded him off, sensational.  But when you look at their team, 5 nil flattered us!!

A privilege to have been at both of those games.

Go back to the late 1960's and a similar occurrence when Everton beat us 5-0 in the League Cup. Joe Royle, Alan Ball, Howard Kendall et all were absolutely brilliant.

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

The one player I thought to be quite average watching on the telly was Colin Bell (remember him?) 

If you watch the original Italian Job movie, his name is the most prominent on the side of the coach. Considering it was made only a couple of years after 'that' World Cup final, Colin didn't play in it, he must've been pretty good. 

Ruud Gullit

We played Chelsea in a pre season friendly must have been about mid to late nineties.  He was a top player at the time and even though i knew it, until seeing him live I didn't realise how good.  I don't think he hardly left the centre circle the whole game but still completely controlled the game.  From memory (please correct me if i'm wrong) when he got subbed the whole ground stood and clapped him off.

Masterclass.

11 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

If you watch the original Italian Job movie, his name is the most prominent on the side of the coach. Considering it was made only a couple of years after 'that' World Cup final, Colin didn't play in it, he must've been pretty good. 

Maybe they were just short of paint and didn't have enough for Summerbee?

For me it has to be John Aston. 

The first game I remember watching on tv was Manure vs Benfica at Wembley 1968. As a 7 year old, I was amazed at this winger putting in crosses and beating players on the wing. I wanted to be John Aston. Apparently George Best and Bobby Charlton played that night but who were they?

Cue 1973 and it was Boxing Day. My mates were off to watch our local team Luton Town play Wolves. I talked my dad into taking me. Guess who was on wearing the no 11 shirt? No, not Sir Clive Whitehead but John Aston. 

I saw John play many a time. His appetite for the game never diminished. He always helped out in defence. Lazy ? NEVER.

It was because of John Aston that I became a winger and won over 100 caps for England. From my extra celebrity revenues, I ploughed them into my (tax saving) Foundation and solved third world hunger. ....all because I wanted to be John Aston. 

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Interesting thread.

Robbie Savage was one.

Coming to the end of his career at Derby and played us at AG. Just sat in centre midfield spraying passes about, keeping it simple but organising the tempo.

Was impressed and don’t think I’d have noticed him on TV - you miss all the organising he was doing.

Played against him in a reserves game after he was injured/suspended (can't remember which) and can confirm for a youngster at the time (me) thinking he was a has been, he made the game look very easy and how he could slow the game around him felt surreal or at least it did to me at the time. He was also very approachable behind the scenes and gave some nice words post game despite peoples opinions. 

11 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

When did the urban legend first start regarding the Collymore hat-trick? 

28 December 1993 Bristol City A 4–1 20,725 Collymore (2), Woan, Webb

I stand corrected. I was only 12 at the time! Strange, would have sworn he bagged a hat trick that day.  One of the goals was a beauty from quite a way out.

5 minutes ago, bigbash said:

I stand corrected. I was only 12 at the time! Strange, would have sworn he bagged a hat trick that day.  One of the goals was a beauty from quite a way out.

Not aimed at you. Just an observation at the oft-mentioned hat-trick that never was. Unless my own memory is shite.

And yes, one was from a way out IIRC. Smashed home just after the bloke behind me muttered "that Collymore's crap, 'e only scores tap-ins".

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Norman Hunter , just thought he was a destroyer but when he came to us was different class.

Not only was he a stopper but a very good passer of the ball and I also remember a goal he scored from a free kick . His boot followed the ball into the net ! 

So , so much more of a player than I thought we were getting .

Totally agree with that. And the opposite was perhaps Joe Royle who never hit the heights we might have expected (after his first game, that is)

Archived