IGNORED

Players that were better "live" than you thought.

Ashtonwurzel

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Was that the game they beat us 3-2 (3-0 Down at ht) in the pouring rain, with Andy Sinton, Steve Perryman (player-manager) playing?

A couple of City players first:

Joe Jordan - such a better footballer than I thought, not just a targetman, lean as a butchers dog.

Aaron Wilbraham  - such a better footballer than I thought, not just a targetman, lean as a butchers dog.

Others:

Emlyn Hughes (rip) in the pre-match charity game at Wembley v Mansfield.

Paul Stewart - Spurs v Coventry, his touch, his timing of runs, his awareness of his team-mates movement.

There are probably lots of players who I never thought were special at the top level, but when you saw them on their way Down / late in their career, you realised how good they were.

Before your time Dave but Franki  Worthington playing for Leicester down the gate. How he had so few caps unreal.

They had a throw in level with our box. Our two center backs were Collier and Hunter,from the throw he chested the ball over Gary as Hunter came in he lob volleyed the ball over him witch put him on the D. As the ball dropped he volleyed it over John Shaw,hit the bar and Shaw caught the rebound.

From the throw the ball never hit the ground until Shaw cleared it. If I'm right ended 0/0

9 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Norman Hunter , just thought he was a destroyer but when he came to us was different class.

Not only was he a stopper but a very good passer of the ball and I also remember a goal he scored from a free kick . His boot followed the ball into the net ! 

So , so much more of a player than I thought we were getting .

My dad nearly stopped going when we signed him "If I wanted to see animals I would go to the zoo" , my mum persauded him he should go to make sure I didn't get into any trouble and he was totally amazed that he was "a proper footballer". 

Three stick out for me, two from around that sort of time,  Peter Osgood playing for Southampton i always thought he was a "big time Charlie" in his Chelsea days but he led the line so beautifully bringing other players into the game, with a great range of passes and taking up positions between our defenders and midfield that made him almost impossible to mark.
Trevor Brooking, I knew he was a pretty footballer, but when West Ham went down to 10 men before half time, in a game after Pat Holland broke his leg and they had already used their 1 sub (ask your parents kids),  he ran the midfield all on his own and got them a draw.  
Slightly more recently, Gary Speed playing for Sheff Utd towards the end of his career. i had never understood what it was that had made clubs spend very good money to sign him, but he was excellent on the ground and terrific in the air with an amazing leap on him. I was totally won over that day.

Robbie Savage and Neil Lennon when they were up and coming for Crewe looked class at the gate and players who would go on to do well...

9 hours ago, bigbash said:

I stand corrected. I was only 12 at the time! Strange, would have sworn he bagged a hat trick that day.  One of the goals was a beauty from quite a way out.

Stan Collymore didnt score a hattrick ?????!!!!!!  I could also have sworn that he did in a game around Xmas... Strange !

A few years back, I took a spare Chelsea v Everton ticket off a friend of mine. Not sure if he just had a really good day but Fellaini is so much better a player when you watch him in action than you'd think on TV. I'd always seen him as a bit of a physical clogger but he was the best player on the pitch. (Chelsea still won though!)

Saw James Milner for Villa against Pompey in the Prem a few years back. He used to play as a number 10 then behind Agbonlahor and basically ran the game. Very calm on the ball and played countless pinpoint through-balls. It was a shame he went to Man City as he was so good on the ball in the middle of the park that he was wasted out on the right wing.

Xabi Alonso for me, didn't quite appreciate how good he was until I saw him live. Strolls around the pitch dictating play without really breaking a sweat.

Gylfi Sigurdsson is another one I loved watching live, football is just to easy for him. Every free kick you just knew it was going to be on target and expected a goal.

Another shout to Joe Allen who I rate as one of the most underrated footballers in the premier league. You appreciate how good he is when you focus solely on him in a live game, always one step ahead of the game.

13 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

When did the urban legend first start regarding the Collymore hat-trick? 

28 December 1993 Bristol City A 4–1 20,725 Collymore (2), Woan, Webb

remember that game as i'm sure we won at West Brom the day before! And managers moan now about the xmas fixtures!

27 Dec 1993 West Bromwich Albion v Bristol City L 0-1 League Division 1

Just remembered Stuart Downing, when we played Boro in those cup games, his movement off the ball was different class. The number of times that Bradley Orr lost him completely was amazing, I don't think he knew where to go.

There must be an alternate thread to this one as well,  players you saw live and were disappointed by.

A bit of a strange one but I was really impressed by Roy Carroll when he played for Wigan at AG. Watching him for United and other teams afterwards he always looked a bit all over the place but was immaculate when I saw him live.

Best player I've ever seen live was Modric, watched him in the Euros last year and he was so far ahead of everyone else it was ridiculous. At the other end of the spectrum, I saw Shaqiri play a couple of days later and he was awful. Worst performance I've ever seen live! Weird looking guy as well, as wide as he is tall....

14 hours ago, bigbash said:

Ruud Gullit

We played Chelsea in a pre season friendly must have been about mid to late nineties.  He was a top player at the time and even though i knew it, until seeing him live I didn't realise how good.  I don't think he hardly left the centre circle the whole game but still completely controlled the game.  From memory (please correct me if i'm wrong) when he got subbed the whole ground stood and clapped him off.

Masterclass.

Pretty sure that he was a victim of Ian Baird that day, then it all got a bit unpleasant! Ajax vs us in the friendly, Samuel Etoo v us in a friendly, but also, Arjen robben vs England in a friendly, he was terrifying!

4 hours ago, Super said:

remember that game as i'm sure we won at West Brom the day before! And managers moan now about the xmas fixtures!

27 Dec 1993 West Bromwich Albion v Bristol City L 0-1 League Division 1

Was that a Tinnion winner? I think the next year was the Boxing Day calamity starring Munro and Welch.

7 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Liam Robinson...

...no wait a minute. He was rubbish, on the telly and live. The only striker I ever watched when you just knew he was going to miss a sitter. Every single time.

Probably the only City player, other than 1-goal-wonders, that I know I witnessed 100% of his haul for the club.

21 hours ago, Offside said:

Gazza. When I saw him play for England at Wembley in about 1998 he was past his best but his control of the ball was absolutely superb.

saw him once at Villa Park when he was playing for Spurs. I was impressed with him on TV. Live.....OMG. He absolutely dominated that game

two standout players I'd seen at AG (donkeys years apart) were Keith Weller (for Leicester). I felt sorry for Drysdale - he didn't know whether to have a shit or a haircut. The other was John Salako (on loan to Swansea... when they were crap). It was the early 90's and all our promotion winning team seemed able to do was watch and gawp

Archived