IGNORED

Blades up to second !

Major Isewater

Heck of a few days for them, with Wednesday losing at Birmingham as well tonight. They seem to have taken the momentum of last year in to this, and my biggest regret of recent years is how quickly we lost it after coming up.

Of the 'unfashionable' sides, them, Preston and I suppose even us are giving it a real go and showing it is possible to compete with some self belief.

3 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

You must have that wrong, Major. Promoted clubs with no parachute payments recruiting lower league types "can't compete" with clubs with names like "Villa" and "Leeds." And "Reading." That's what we were told last winter.

ooooooh   Brave, Jack brave right now

8 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Heck of a few days for them, with Wednesday losing at Birmingham as well tonight. They seem to have taken the momentum of last year in to this, and my biggest regret of recent years is how quickly we lost it after coming up.

Of the 'unfashionable' sides, them, Preston and I suppose even us are giving it a real go and showing it is possible to compete with some self belief.

Self belief? We've spent a bloody fortune compared to those 2 sides?!

4 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Self belief? We've spent a bloody fortune compared to those 2 sides?!

Yes we have, fair comment. We have also spent a fraction of teams like Villa. Still think self belief, confidence, playing for each other, is as important as money. Is a balance of course.

41 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Whoever said that they were worried about Sheffield United have been proved right, albeit four seasons later!

The TV  pundits who cream themselves when they even mention the Blades will tell you it's still theoretically possible for them to retrospectively finish above Bristol City in the 2014-15 season to get automatic promotion to the Championship

58 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I reckon your money should be on Villa for the title. They are finally up and running and i find it hard to look past them and a n other for the autos

Don't see it. Had a couple of good results, I can't see them going on an unstoppable run.

So many teams (as we know) on a similar level. Top six yes very likely but nailed on NO.

If you reckon Villa are the side you can still get 12/1 for the league on skybet.

3 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Don't see it. Had a couple of good results, I can't see them going on an unstoppable run.

So many teams (as we know) on a similar level. Top six yes very likely but nailed on NO.

If you reckon Villa are the side you can still get 12/1 for the league on skybet.

I'll have that then

6 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Its not a bad shout tbh. I said last night to a few of the lads I can see villa for autos and why not with the team they have? 

9 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

You must have that wrong, Major. Promoted clubs with no parachute payments recruiting lower league types "can't compete" with clubs with names like "Villa" and "Leeds." And "Reading." That's what we were told last winter.

And there was me thinking the league season was 46 games long.

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Sheffield United are a big club naturally. Or a decent sized club.

We've seen it a few times before- when a big/decent sized club naturally comes up, with momentum and a feelgood that can often continue...

Totally agree, predicted them as the surprise team this season. They seem to have that momentum we had under Johnson snr. I expect them to be in the play offs whether they can go up,  I'm not sure but top six for me

1 hour ago, chipdawg said:

Living in Sheffield, it's incredible how many more red and white shirts I've seen out and about over the last 6 months. ESPECIALLY this week. Funny that...

Don't think it'll last, but they're certainly not going to struggle as much as I wanted them to. Proper arrogant bunch

Got the train booked for December for this one, any recommendations for away pubs ? 

39 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@daored

As a bigger club than us with a better infrastructure and fanbase than we had 10 years ago, not a huge surprise to me that they adapted well..

Think Norwich, Southampton, Leicester all after League One stints.

@chipdawg Surprised me a bit that. Always had them down as quite well supported.

They are to be fair, though Sheffield's a bigger city than you think and doesn't suffer to much from local kids supporting Premier League teams from distant cities. But Blades fans always seem to be a bit bipolar. When things are going great they're the proudest football fans you can find. When things are going badly the world is going to end. I guess we're all a bit like that really, they just seem worse! Maybe it's because I live amongst them

17 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Got the train booked for December for this one, any recommendations for away pubs ? 

Depends what you're after mate. They can be a bit funny about away fans in Sheffield, but I can't imagine our match is particularly on the radar as a 'big' match. However, I don't tend to go into the city on Sheff Utd match days (I have to go past Brammal Lane to get there, not really worth the hassle) so my recommendations are all subject to door staff letting you in! 

If you want decent beer or cider, the Sheffield Tap at the train station is a decent place to start, probably be busy though. Between the train station and the ground there's the Rutland Arms, The Red Lion or Sentinel Brewery, which would probably be my recommendation. It's only a 5 minute walk from the ground, pretty sure they're away friendly and the beer and food are good. If you want something a bit more lively, head up to Forum on Devonshire St (Frog & Parrot and Brew Dog there too) or pretty much anywhere on West St is reasonably busy on a match day

If I go into town with Sheff Utd mates before the match, I'll probably go to Sentinel, but more likely we'll drink in Heeley which is between home and the ground. Good boozers and good atmosphere, but I have a Yorkshire accent so I can get away with it!

1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

If I remember correctly , and it's been a while since I went there , we drank by the station and then got the bus down . Seem to remember the buses were quite good.

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

If I remember correctly , and it's been a while since I went there , we drank by the station and then got the bus down . Seem to remember the buses were quite good.

You might be getting mixed up with Wednesday. Bramall Lane is about 10 minutes walk from the station. Pub at the station is decent though

Archived