IGNORED

Article on LJ in Bristol Post today...

BS4 on Tour...

I grabbed a sarnie and a coffee in a cafe at lunchtime today, there was a copy of the Bristol Post on the table so I had a quick browse through it. There was a piece by Gregor MacGregor on LJ in the sport section. I stopped reading at the bit where GM wrote LJ was previously manager of Barnsley and Bolton.

How easy is it in this day and age to get basic facts correct?! I give up....I threw the paper down and actually seriously considered picking up the Daily Star that was also there, that's how traumatised I was!

My dear old Dad was a journo at The Bristol Evening Post (as it was called back then) many moons ago....he left as he was "fed up with the shoddy journalistic standards..." and that was back in the late '70s - he saw it coming and he got out.

I just can't believe how a basic fact, like which clubs LJ has previously managed, was printed in its incorrect glory having slipped by several people who no doubt signed off the article. It's pathetic and it has made me lift a glass to my Dad tonight, way ahead of his time....

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I grabbed a sarnie and a coffee in a cafe at lunchtime today, there was a copy of the Bristol Post on the table so I had a quick browse through it. There was a piece by Gregor MacGregor on LJ in the sport section. I stopped reading at the bit where GM wrote LJ was previously manager of Barnsley and Bolton.

How easy is it in this day and age to get basic facts correct?! I give up....I threw the paper down and actually seriously considered picking up the Daily Star that was also there, that's how traumatised I was!

My dear old Dad was a journo at The Bristol Evening Post (as it was called back then) many moons ago....he left as he was "fed up with the shoddy journalistic standards..." and that was back in the late '70s - he saw it coming and he got out.

I just can't believe how a basic fact, like which clubs LJ has previously managed, was printed in its incorrect glory having slipped by several people who no doubt signed off the article. It's pathetic and it has made me lift a glass to my Dad tonight, way ahead of his time....

Is Gregor a City fan? Surely someone would've spotted this at some point, christ.

32 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Is Gregor a City fan? Surely someone would've spotted this at some point, christ.

Of course not.

The Post hasn't employed a City fan since Richard Latham left many years ago.

He has no connection with the club or our City at all and as others have already said his articles are poorly written, error ridden rubbish.

9 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Sky sports just as bad. Midweek goals show on tonight . Short interview with Dean Holden , caption read Bristol city manager lee Johnson . They then showed millwalls goals saying. Strike by George saville who joined millwall from Bristol city in the summer. :disapointed2se:shambles 

Yep - Sky Sports are just as bad...before our game at Wolves they said we hadn't won on a Tuesday since 2012 - I tweeted them the zillions of Tuesday games we had won since 2012, including Leeds last season (all of which were detailed on their own website!) and asked for a correction....obviously I was ignored....shoddy, just shoddy...

7 minutes ago, TRL said:

looks like they nabbed it from here  http://www.sportsworldcards.com/bristol-city---rob-newman-257-proset-19901991-football-trading-card-20501-p.asp 

that just ain't him, looks more like Smith to me

Even with the source stated, and with his name plastered all over it it STILL looks nothing like him!!

47 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You were lucky.

Mate of my, fed up with the website actually got a physical printed copy of the paper.

Opened it up and BANG! an advert jumped off the page and smacked him in the face.

As for Gregor, surely the Boaty McBoatface of journalism.

2 minutes ago, eastonboy said:

Even with the source stated, and with his name plastered all over it it STILL looks nothing like him!!

its because proset ****** up and looks like there is no one at city in the media department who knows what the guy looks like so picked the first picture (and a shit grainy one at that) based on a internet search.

It is Dave Smith, i've just had a quick google

10 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

You were lucky.

Mate of my, fed up with the website actually got a physical printed copy of the paper.

Opened it up and BANG! an advert jumped off the page and smacked him in the face.

As for Gregor, surely the Boaty McBoatface of journalism.

Gregor MCGreggyface?

I also noticed that Tuesday's programme had a picture from Wembley '86 and captioned it with Gary Marshall when it was in fact Bobby Hutchinson!

I must add though, that I only saw that from a quick glance so if I'm wrong I must apologise. I didn't buy the programme and just had a very quick look of someone elses.

27 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I also noticed that Tuesday's programme had a picture from Wembley '86 and captioned it with Gary Marshall when it was in fact Bobby Hutchinson!

I must add though, that I only saw that from a quick glance so if I'm wrong I must apologise. I didn't buy the programme and just had a very quick look of someone elses.

yes you are right pal

Unfortunately the entire business model of the Evening Post and Western Daily Press is falling apart. There isn't enough revenue in the printed editions or the online pages to pay for decent journalism (or editorial scrutiny).

The Internet will eventually consign these papers to history. What's ironic is that if Gregor McBoatface checked a few facts on the Internet then we wouldn't be here debating the BEP's incompetence and further damaging their lingering existence.

When I lived in Hampshire in the 90s, the Western Daily Press was my only source for Bristol City news. My local newsagent ordered and delivered it for me in a town where I doubt anyone else even knew of the existence of the paper. It felt like an absolute lifeline as I had no desire to hear about Portsmouth or Southampton. 22 years later I could live on the other side of the world and watch every league match live for just over £100 a year.

Incredible really, but what future does the Evening Post have against that competition?

Archived