IGNORED

Spudski can you help

The goal is that way

4 minutes ago, The goal is that way said:

Can you please explain the difference between city's academy and rovers and Southampton? Southampton are in city's area and I don't completely understand why. 

I believe Southampton were allowed to spread their reach so to say as they couldn't go south due to the channel, therefore allowed a further reach in other distances.

Southampton are in our area as the Premier League allow them to break the rules. Any boys aged 9-12 who train at Bath but do not live within  one hour of Marchwood Southampton are not allowed to play in any of their official Academy fixtures. We are the only Academy in the South West that can offer boys regular football in the Academy Cat 1 and Cat 2 games programme. The pathway is there for talented boys such as Joe Bryan, Bobby Reid, Zak Vyner and Lloyd Kelly to move through the Academy to the first team. 

24 minutes ago, Rossineri said:

Southampton are in our area as the Premier League allow them to break the rules. Any boys aged 9-12 who train at Bath but do not live within  one hour of Marchwood Southampton are not allowed to play in any of their official Academy fixtures. We are the only Academy in the South West that can offer boys regular football in the Academy Cat 1 and Cat 2 games programme. The pathway is there for talented boys such as Joe Bryan, Bobby Reid, Zak Vyner and Lloyd Kelly to move through the Academy to the first team. 

Southampton at Bath was within the radius rule which no longer exists anyway. 

51 minutes ago, The goal is that way said:

my point is are the best local kids going to Southampton rarther than Bcfc and if so why?

Of course not,they are picking the players they want just as we are,it will be worthless in 5 years anyrate unless you are a prem club and even a few of them are thinking what's the point. Be back to what is was years ago very soon when lower league clubs will get what they deserve for young players 

15 hours ago, The goal is that way said:

Can you please explain the difference between city's academy and rovers and Southampton? Southampton are in city's area and I don't completely understand why. 

I'm not sure I understand what you want to know mate... as in what is Southamptons catchment area?

How many Bristol kiddies (from a BS postcode) end up as good enough for the Prem? (And how many of these do Southampton get their mitts on?) Jack Butland and....? Not many (that I'm aware of. Any more than Butland?)

There aren't a lot of Bristol boys good enough for the Championship currently, as far as I know (I really have no idea, but am not aware of many). Of those that are, haven't we got the two best here?

That crop of Bristol boys we had from the late 60s to 1980 were exceptional! 

16 hours ago, The goal is that way said:

I'm wondering what city have to do to be a top rated academy 

IIRC, it's all down to how many dedicated qualified coaches you have for your youth teams, and how much you spend on your academy.

Ultimately, if a club was really serious about their academy, they'd be pushing for a category 1 academy. The cost for a Category 1 academy is around £2.5m a year, which is why clubs like Crewe (who were historically big on promoting academy talent) were rightly pissed off about the academy category changes. It essentially means that a Premier League can comparatively pay peanuts for a top academy whereas a League 2 team can throw a lot of money at an academy and still be rated lower.

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

How many Bristol kiddies (from a BS postcode) end up as good enough for the Prem? (And how many of these do Southampton get their mitts on?) Jack Butland and....? Not many (that I'm aware of. Any more than Butland?)

There aren't a lot of Bristol boys good enough for the Championship currently, as far as I know (I really have no idea, but am not aware of many). Of those that are, haven't we got the two best here?

That crop of Bristol boys we had from the late 60s to 1980 were exceptional! 

Jacob Maddox? Herbie Kane?

Let's see what happens to those we had in our Academy that were then poached by Chelsea & Liverpool, eh?

There have been a number of recent Saints graduates who were from the South West, (Josh Sims, Lloyd Isgrove) too.

Rolando Aarons might have been via a different route but is another of our Academy youth..

55 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Let's see what happens to those we had in our Academy that were then poached by Chelsea & Liverpool, eh?

There have been a number of recent Saints graduates who were from the South West, (Josh Sims, Lloyd Isgrove) too.

Rolando Aarons might have been via a different route but is another of our Academy youth..

Rolando Aaron's was allowed to leave because our Academy "didn't know what to do with him" 

From the same youth team as Bobby Reid and Lloyd Kelly. 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

So, not many then? It's not like there's a rich seam of gold around here, that Southampton have first go at, and we are missing out on. From what I can see.

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

They had that right back who`s name escapes me for the moment - Lloyd something? He was from Bristol I think but had ended up at Leyton Orient last I heard.

Since the introduction of the EPPP, the radius rule was re-introduced, as Cat 1 clubs can recruit nationally from U12s upwards. Therefore, Cat 1, 2 or 3 clubs can only register Foundation Phase Academy Players (aged 9-11)that reside within 1 hour on the clubs principal venue. Therefore all players at Bath Southampton Dev Centre cannot be officially recruited so are never officially registered, this enables them to get around the Premier Leagues own rules. That's also why boys aged 9-11 training at the Bath Southampton Dev Centre cannot play in the official Academy fixture programme, therefore losing out for 3 years of elite football, a key part of their development programme.  

3 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

So, not many then? It's not like there's a rich seam of gold around here, that Southampton have first go at, and we are missing out on. From what I can see.

Not sure I agree with that, though clearly I don't know who Southampton have coming through their whole Academy system that are from this part of the world.

I'd guess a 10% rate of success from Academy to first team squad was realistically about what we could expect, so therefore at present comparatively the pipeline to the first team from the Academy is pretty good, but if we had the whole catchment area we would by logical extension presumably have the possibility of a few more.

Butland and possibly Aarons are two who have "made it" that we have definitely missed out on from Bristol, though.

One other point, in my youth Rovers got loads of local players, several of whom, Gary Mabbutt, Stewart, (even Penrice) moved on for tidy money, when was the last time they produced a decent local player? Absolutely no idea, but it is ages, so I don't think the expansion of our Academy and this occurrence are simply a coincidence.

Archived