IGNORED

Steve Cotterill

Red Army 75

Best of luck Cotts. Like others have said, he's the go to man when you're up shit creek without a paddle. Fully expect Brum to end up mid table now if he gets the support from the Brum board.

You ain't having Flint unless the boss has £6m and you ain't having Joey at all. Soz.

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Interesting one.. in my opinion probably the highest calibre club he could’ve realistically got at the moment.

I actually think Birmingham have a decent squad really and are in a false position. Depends if he is given time from the owners though.

Indeed. They're the only team in the league to beat that there Bristol City whom all the press are bigging up at the moment.

37 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Best of luck Cotts. Like others have said, he's the go to man when you're up shit creek without a paddle.

League 1 yes, not convinced by him at this level personally. 

37 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Fully expect Brum to end up mid table now if he gets the support from the Brum board.

With their squad they definitely should. 

4 hours ago, spudski said:

M....SC hasn't been with Brum this season....SC 'fell out with Harry'. He believed he was going to be given the managers job at the end of last season and that Harry was going to move up as a 'Director of football'. He took the majority of coaching sessions last season. He felt Harry stabbed him in the back when he took the managers job as they allegedly had made a gentleman's agreement.

Surely Cotts knew like everyone else, Harry and Kevin Bond came as a pair.

26 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Great club for him, but probably not the best move....their squad is ******* awful and the club as a whole is a farce. As someone mentioned above, delighted he's back in football, just a shame it's Birmingham...

Have they disintegrated since Rowett was there? He did well.

10 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I hope it goes well for him but I'm sure that in 3 months time he'll be replaced by someone like Dean Saunders or Graeme Souness ! 

Big names in football .

:yes:

Yes and I am only surprised Saunders has been out of the game so long. I had fully expected him to be back managing a really big name by now like Pucklechurch or Clapton in Gordano.

7 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

League 1 yes, not convinced by him at this level personally. 

Totally agree. He gave us one amazing season that I will never forget....but he's never really 'done it' at Championship level, he's never finished in the top half of the table.

He took Burnley to 13th then 17th and left when they were 15th and Owen Coyle took over and promptly took Burnley into the premier league in his first season in charge.

At Forest he finished 19th and oversaw separate runs of seven games without a goal being scored by Forest and six consecutive home defeats.

At League One level he was amazing, he gave us THAT season and for that I will forever be grateful and think the world of him.

Hope he does well at Brum, they were sniffing around him seven years ago when he was Pompey boss, just think he has a lot to prove as a Championship boss....but, good luck Cotts....top man!

This move vindicates his decision to wait for a bigger job than he has previously been linked with so fair play to him. Incredibly grateful for what he did for us but I have a certain dislike for Brum so it's a tough one but hope it works out for him personally. Be very interesting to see how he does there. 

8 hours ago, petehinton said:

Great club for him, but probably not the best move....their squad is ******* awful and the club as a whole is a farce. As someone mentioned above, delighted he's back in football, just a shame it's Birmingham...

They’ve brought 14 players in over the summer, the pic below shows they have a decent squad.

57 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Totally agree. He gave us one amazing season that I will never forget....but he's never really 'done it' at Championship level, he's never finished in the top half of the table.

He took Burnley to 13th then 17th and left when they were 15th and Owen Coyle took over and promptly took Burnley into the premier league in his first season in charge.

At Forest he finished 19th and oversaw separate runs of seven games without a goal being scored by Forest and six consecutive home defeats.

At League One level he was amazing, he gave us THAT season and for that I will forever be grateful and think the world of him.

Hope he does well at Brum, they were sniffing around him seven years ago when he was Pompey boss, just think he has a lot to prove as a Championship boss....but, good luck Cotts....top man!

I think he was at bottom half teams, and kept their heads above water.

06FA0DD0-824C-4F88-8E8E-2448191DF5B8.jpeg

@Davefevs I tried to quote your post but for some reason this site wouldn't let me do that?! 

You say Cotts 'took over bottom sides and kept their heads above water' ?!

Owen Coyle's first managerial job in England was to take over from Cotts at Burnley - he got them promoted to the Premier League in his first season....a bit more than 'keeping their head above water' ??

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

@Davefevs I tried to quote your post but for some reason this site wouldn't let me do that?! 

You say Cotts 'took over bottom sides and kept their heads above water' ?!

Owen Coyle's first managerial job in England was to take over from Cotts at Burnley - he got them promoted to the Premier League in his first season....a bit more than 'keeping their head above water' ??

Yeah, Coyle did well.  Struggled everywhere else.  Some might say Cotterill sewed the seeds for that.  Does Coyle’s promotion not get tarnished by the awful record elsewhere, or is it better to achieve once and fail several times?

Forest were in all sorts of trouble.

Just saying that people look too much at win percentage, and don’t take the situation into account.

Just think it’s easy to call him a ‘league one trip pony’.  I know I loved Cotts, but I think he’s a better manager than people give him credit.  His instrumental was he in keeping Brum up.  From what others gave posted, Redknapp was just the ‘face’.

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, Coyle did well.  Struggled everywhere else.  Some might say Cotterill sewed the seeds for that.  Does Coyle’s promotion not get tarnished by the awful record elsewhere, or is it better to achieve once and fail several times?

Forest were in all sorts of trouble.

Just saying that people look too much at win percentage, and don’t take the situation into account.

Just think it’s easy to call him a ‘league one trip pony’.  I know I loved Cotts, but I think he’s a better manager than people give him credit.  His instrumental was he in keeping Brum up.  From what others gave posted, Redknapp was just the ‘face’.

I don't think Cotts taking Burnley from 13th to 17th was 'sowing seeds' for a promotion to the premier league. So if you think people take too much notice of win percentages, what are you basing your statement "Coyle struggled everywhere else" on?! You could equally take 'situations' into account for Coyle's managerial career - and unashamedly looking at win percentages, Coyle had a 63.2% win record at Falkirk- he didn't struggle there!

Good appointment all round.

Big job for Cotts though, first no.1 for sometime. The squad is a good one and we know from the owners they will expect results quickly. There is a lot of pressure there, wouldn't be overly surprised to see him last less than a year if he doesn't hit the ground running, he clearly backs himself because he'll know the history with Redknapp/Rowett/Zola.

Good luck though SC, except against us, of course! 

44 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don't think Cotts taking Burnley from 13th to 17th was 'sowing seeds' for a promotion to the premier league. So if you think people take too much notice of win percentages, what are you basing your statement "Coyle struggled everywhere else" on?! You could equally take 'situations' into account for Coyle's managerial career - and unashamedly looking at win percentages, Coyle had a 63.2% win record at Falkirk- he didn't struggle there!

I’m not debating your points per se, but plenty of others (not just on here, but Twitter too) who go on about his 29% win percentage or whatever it is in the Championship.  His Burnley record overall was P161 W55 D 50 L56....that’s pretty much mid table isn’t it?

No point bringing Falkirk into the equation.  What league was that in?  Was he manager, or player coach, or co-manager?  Otherwise you must bring Cotts record in 14/15 into the equation.

At the end of the day I think Cotts is a decent enough manager at this level.  Even the Stoke Premier League "debacle" was 14 points from 13 games, not the worst you’ll see for a sacked manager!

I’ll be surprised if Brum don’t pull away from the relegation zone under his stewardship.

8163C984-56F2-4A78-AFCA-7BCF5A08ADF3.jpeg

For info Eufa consider Falkirk to be on a par with Bristol Regional Sunday Division 3.:whistle:

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well it depends on what he's built. Look at LJ, he has us now with a young squad of promising players performing better than most expected this year. Last year many of them looked rabbits in headlights. If this core ever got promoted LJ definitely sowed the seeds; he also nearly took us down doing so. The parallels are there. 

It's not just the instant results or win percentages, it's legacy 're Coyle. Take Redknapp, he may have appeared to achieve lots at Pompey - trophy and relative win %age . Whereas in fact he is partly palpable for what they are now.

Has Coyle left many clubs better off? That's the measure. SC can say Bristol City, Cheltenham, me and Dave would give him Burnley, Notts County certainly, Pompey he did very well in holding back the floods, Forest was neither success nor real failure and Stoke was an anomaly. It's really quite an impressive CV - experience in different roles, all leagues and non-league, obvious successes and appreciable mitigation for times that didn't go well (his last 6m here for instance). I cannot understand why he isn't far more coveted. Do we really judge a guy as incapable of this level based upon someone improving on his core players, a short stint at Stoke, Forest and Pompey in turmoil, or a newly promoted side who decided rather than back him they'd hang him and back to the hills his replacement? 

20 hours ago, spudski said:

This made me chuckle from a Brum fan...

Appoint 2 guys who turn the team around in 3 games

Appoint the 1 of them and remove the other

Lose 6 in a row

Sack him and appoint the other.

Winning formula.

It is basically the story of every teenage boys love life.

Haha yeah i believe that was on their forum smallheathalliance?

13 hours ago, 29AR said:

Take Redknapp, he may have appeared to achieve lots at Pompey - trophy and relative win %age . Whereas in fact he is partly palpable for what they are now.

This myth about Redknapp leaving clubs in perilous states really needs to be addressed and stopped. It's been made clear that Milan Mandaric made all the financial decisions whilst Harry was manager at Pompey, it was his club and to think that Harry could spend what he wished is not true. 

One good example that shows Harry is not 'palpable' is when Pompey took Papa Bouba Diop on trial from the French club Lens.

Harry wanted to sign him and left it with Milan Mandaric and Peter Storrie to sort. While Harry was out having a meal with Milan he got a call from Diop's agent saying Fulham had sneaked in and bought Diop from under their noses. Milan rang him straight back to offer more money than Fulham were prepared to stump up and Harry told him not too, saying he shouldn't be held to ransom - so they didn't sign him then but got him three years later instead. Surely if your assertion that Harry is 'palpable' for Pompey's current position is correct then he would have been all for offering more than Fulham?

And when Pompey signed Paul Merson, a premier league player, they only paid him £5,000 a week initially. Not exactly 'ruining' Pompey.

And when Harry left Pompey the first time, because Mandaric appointed the Croatian coach Velimir Zajec as director of football without consulting him, Pompey offered Harry a pay off of £150,000 plus a car. Harry turned it down telling them he didn't want it and told them to give it to charity or invest it in youth football development.

Again, is that Harry being 'palpable' and being partly responsible for a club's predicament? 

Ther are loads of examples of things like this yet lots on here blindly post stuff such as "Harry Redknapp ruined every club he managed" and it's just utter rubbish. If he'd ruined Pompey would he have been awarded "The Freedom of the City of Portsmouth" after he'd left the club and was manager at Spurs?

He took Portsmouth into the premier league, by winning the championship, and he kept them up in the premier league when the two clubs who'd been promoted with Pompey (Wolves and Leicester) both went straight back down....and he won the FA Cup for them....great manager.

He had the freedom of the city 5 months after winning the fa cup. It's hardly relating to the legacy. 

So he turned down a few players, he asked for and got many more. For Diop if that happened he was conservative but there were many other unreasonable signings. We all saw the wages they paid by looking at the creditors list. I'm not buying Diop as him reigning in the owners. 

Totally appreciate and accept the owners bear most of the brunt. But he's not only a bystander. 

Archived