IGNORED

Worth a punt....

spudski

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Good suggestion. Can see him being a coach here one day at the very least, I assume he'll move back.

He can also play right back.. maybe that'll be a potential use for him.

I played for the same team as his brother so he used to come down and give us training sessions now and again and he was good at it.

So yes, perhaps he may be interested in moving into coaching after his playing career.

A player MM rates I believe but not sure whether he is better than Smith, Pack or Brownhill? But that's just based on not really seeing him play for Ipswich.

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

All teams are looking for a midfielder to "boss" a game. Few and far between unfortunately.

Maybe we already have one in the shape of Morrell...  out getting time & experience under his belt ... i liked what i saw of him pre-season although he was usually running around like a headless chicken but he may now just comeback more mature in his game...

17 minutes ago, CityLew said:

I played for the same team as his brother so he used to come down and give us training sessions now and again and he was good at it.

So yes, perhaps he may be interested in moving into coaching after his playing career.

A player MM rates I believe but not sure whether he is better than Smith, Pack or Brownhill? But that's just based on not really seeing him play for Ipswich.

I doubt he'll be bought in to be a regular starter - more for experience around the squad with a view to becoming a coach. He is also pretty versatile and we do need players to cover. He can play midfield or right back.

Dear God, No!! 

Believe me when I say, if Skuse returns to this football club I will not be watching. 

Huge backward step. A player that offers absolutely nothing positive. A player that were he not 'local' would've been shipped out years before he was. 

Skuseless. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Not sure he'd come back to AG as a player. As you say the squad has Pack, Hegelar and GoN all comfortable as a defensive midfielder.

All teams are looking for a midfielder to "boss" a game. Few and far between unfortunately.

NB. If you put any vowel other than 'e' in Jens Hegeler's name, you're guaranteed to have spelt it wrong. 

14 minutes ago, Harry said:

Dear God, No!! 

Believe me when I say, if Skuse returns to this football club I will not be watching. 

Huge backward step. A player that offers absolutely nothing positive. A player that were he not 'local' would've been shipped out years before he was. 

Skuseless. 

Can you clarify if this is tounge in cheek please? 

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

Nothing against Cole Skuse but he's not what we need in midfield, we have plenty of unambitious "protect the back four" types.  We need someone who can boss a game and score/create to complement them and he's never done that.

He wouldn't be signed to be in our '11', but more for our '25'.

Brings far more to the squad/club than just being a player in a position we happen to need.

3 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:
Bristol City v Ipswich Town   - Sky Bet Championship

Photo opps like this don't happen by accident. This is stage managed and intended to tell a story...

I will be amazed if he doesn't return in some capacity but when who knows?

I think you're right.

It seems LJ was always earmarked to return by SL and the same is probably true of Skuse, but with both SL and LJ keen to see him back.

I should hope not as a player though, that would be a ridiculous backward step. Not only had Skuse stagnated horribly on the pitch at AG, but he refused a new contract here, plus we certainly haven't missed him since.

No objection to him returning one day on the coaching side once his playing days are over - if he's genuinely thought good enough - but would be hugely disappointed if he was brought back with a view to playing.

I can quite believe SL would see Skuse as exactly the type to bring in to learn the ropes in the background with a view to possibly taking over from LJ in the future, presuming he has any managerial ambitions of course.

4 hours ago, Nibor said:

Nothing against Cole Skuse but he's not what we need in midfield, we have plenty of unambitious "protect the back four" types.  We need someone who can boss a game and score/create to complement them and he's never done that.

Got about 15m going handy?

6 hours ago, spudski said:

Why is my head saying he'll be here next season and Jens will be gone.....aaaaaarghhhhhh I hope not. You know that gut feeling you get....

Always had a lot of time for Skusey, but as the unofficial self-appointed president of the Jens Hegeler Admiration Society I do hope you're wrong about the second part.

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Dear God, No!! 

Skuseless. 

The problem I have with your very uncompromising view of Skuse, which goes back quite a long way if memory serves, is this. A highly respected and experienced Championship manager has consistently said he has great regard for CS and believes he is good enough to have played PL football. Moreover, he has backed that opinion by making him a permanent member of his first choice starting eleven over several seasons in a team that has comfortably out-performed anything we've produced in the same period, by being for the most part in or around the play-off places during that time.

It seems to me you can't both be right, so do I put my faith in Mick McCarthy's judgement, or yours? Tough call that.

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not always a bad thing. Good to have people that know and understand the club. If they've got the right skills and buy into the mentality here it's a positive to have people that care about the club.

Liverpool coaching and management did very well with that philosophy for many years and Arsenal have done the same with their backroom staff. As long as the one's recruited from our former players, have the correct coaching and management skills, I don't see a problem. 

There have been some diabolical appointments in the past so getting it right will help with the fulfillment of our dreams.  

6 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

If he's not good enough as a player for Ipswich next season, then why on earth would anyone think he'll be good enough for us. That does not sound like progress to me.

Perfectly fair question. If nothing else, this development adds another element of interest to what is already an intriguing fixture tomorrow. Will be fascinating to see who wins the midfield battle there.

7 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

I know this will be controversial but I hope I never see Skuse at AG again. I didn't really rate him. For a DM he never offered any protection to the back four 

No more controversial than a great deal that's gone before. If nothing else Cole certainly divides opinion.

14 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

If he's not good enough as a player for Ipswich next season, then why on earth would anyone think he'll be good enough for us.

I always think this is a flawed view. Sometimes players just come to the end of their shelf life at a club for various reasons. It depends on the context..

Maybe he doesn’t really want to continue at Ipswich and would like to move. 

I doubt, if it happens, it’s with a view to him being a regular starter. As a cheaper (and more available) midfield backup to O’Neil? I think it makes sense.

Archived