IGNORED

U23s : Bristol Derby (Merged)

JamesBCFC

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Lucic missing yet again? O'Leary is injured I believe, so fair enough.

Does he ever play any games for us?

Johnson’s answer about Lucic in that Facebook QnA was interesting.. said he’s got all the attributes to be a top keeper.. but has lots of growing up to do.

The implication was that he needs to grow up before his career will advance.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Johnson’s answer about Lucic in that Facebook QnA was interesting.. said he’s got all the attributes to be a top keeper.. but has lots of growing up to do.

Grow up as in physically or grow up as in mentally?

17 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Grow up as in physically or grow up as in mentally?

Mentally. Perhaps a good example of that (without knowing the full context) is him taking a quick break in Majorca a few weeks ago when the first team squad had an away game.

You’d think a young player not getting games would be spending his free time in the gym or on the training pitch. 

8 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Fair enough.

But if he isn't even involved now at U23 level, yet an 18 year old is, you do have to question what he is doing still being with us.

54 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Fair enough.

But if he isn't even involved now at U23 level, yet an 18 year old is, you do have to question what he is doing still being with us.

I reckon they just feel he’s worth waiting for.

Johnson said he believes if we hadn’t picked him up he’d have ended up playing for a European Cup standard side and we’d have seen him on TV in that tournament. Oddly specific comment for him to make but I suppose he’s just saying he rates him.

I can’t imagine he’s on enormous wages so relatively low risk. I’d have liked to see him go out on loan this season.

29 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I reckon they just feel he’s worth waiting for.

Johnson said he believes if we hadn’t picked him up he’d have ended up playing for a European Cup standard side and we’d have seen him on TV in that tournament. Oddly specific comment for him to make but I suppose he’s just saying he rates him.

I can’t imagine he’s on enormous wages so relatively low risk. I’d have liked to see him go out on loan this season.

Whenever I've watched him play, he would often make passes to the fullbacks or Central defenders that inevitably put them under pressure.

it struck me that he was used to playing with players, that were technically good, and who were used to passing themselves out from the back whilst under pressure.

He seems a fine keeper...perhaps as LJ has alluded to, he has to have a mature outlook and maybe also start learning that we don't/can't play the same way as they did when he was in Germany.

He must have something, otherwise Pep wouldn't have had him in the Champions league squad in 2015.

35 minutes ago, spudski said:

Whenever I've watched him play, he would often make passes to the fullbacks or Central defenders that inevitably put them under pressure.

it struck me that he was used to playing with players, that were technically good, and who were used to passing themselves out from the back whilst under pressure.

He seems a fine keeper...perhaps as LJ has alluded to, he has to have a mature outlook and maybe also start learning that we don't/can't play the same way as they did when he was in Germany.

He must have something, otherwise Pep wouldn't have had him in the Champions league squad in 2015.

I think that's what LJ feels. From the bits and pieces LJ reveals about him, he clearly rates him. I remember him speaking really highly of him last summer when he was possibly going to sign.

From what LJ has said, it sounds like it's up to Lucic how far he goes in the game. 

I remember some years ago, actually, back in the 1969/1970 season, when City's youth squad (Gerry Gow, Geoff Merrick and all) had a wonderful cup run, reaching the semi-final before losing to Spurs.

They drew quite large crowds to Ashton Gate and I am sure some of the young boys, myself included, were thrilled to be able to watch from the stands and became regular supporters as they grew older.

Ashton Gate in the next round?

20 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Glos Cuo quarters. Will we stick with U23's or go for more of a Carabao Cup side. Are wr home or away. What would most people want. I would play U23's in a non league stadium.

Why on earth would we look to pick a stronger team?

57 minutes ago, Super said:

Why on earth would we look to pick a stronger team?

We have lots of fringe players, Hegeler Magnússon Vyner who are desperately looking for some kind of competitive fixture maybe? I suppose Rovers will not put a first team out however so that means it will not be competitive.

11 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I remember some years ago, actually, back in the 1969/1970 season, when City's youth squad (Gerry Gow, Geoff Merrick and all) had a wonderful cup run, reaching the semi-final before losing to Spurs.

They drew quite large crowds to Ashton Gate and I am sure some of the young boys, myself included, were thrilled to be able to watch from the stands and became regular supporters as they grew older.

Yeah, I remember  youth cup-tie against Leeds? that season, 10,00 crowd

11 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I was at that game V Leeds

It would be very interesting to find the team sheets for that game.

Anyone out there have that information?

1 hour ago, candygram for mongo said:

I was at that game V Leeds

It would be very interesting to find the team sheets for that game.

Anyone out there have that information?

Just after I started posting last night, I tried to find the team sheet for the Spurs semi-final.

My late father took me to most of the games in that cup run, but, almost 50 years later, I cannot, in truth, recall the exact team.

I am convinced Gerry Gow and Geoff Merrick played, I remember my father pointing out to me just how good they both were, and I am almost sure that Tom Ritchie, David Rodgers and Trevor Tainton also played.

If @cidered abroad reads this thread, I am sure he will be able to provide further names.

Archived