IGNORED

Ipswich match report: ridiculously easy

Olé

Let's just get this out the way from the get go. That was ridiculously easy. The score flatters Ipswich. This team is the real deal and that result was either evidence that we are in the right sort of position or that Ipswich are in the wrong position.

This was my fifth trip to Ipswich (lovely place) and my first win. And it wasn't even close. We just abused them. The first half was a 3 or 4 goal difference in terms of performance. Reid was put through and hit the cross bar and their goal was easily avoidable.

Most exciting for me was that it was Diedhiou's best game in a City shirt. He is really growing into the role and for most of the game he won everything and defenders didn't get near him. Johnson and Co are spot on he is the perfect foil for the pacey wide players.

Our passing was fast and confident and we went at them every time we could. Bobby Reid is obscenely talented and glided past defenders. When they got the ball they were clearly a sharp passing side but the players themselves didn't move and were easily disrupted.

In the first minute Diedhiou won a ball in our own half, shifted past midfielders and broke. Paterson charged forward and took over, running at the defence before cutting it back into the middle. Brownhill took aim and it bounced past the keeper.

It was one way traffic and in the next 15 minutes Diedhiou would go clear but hesitate and be tackled on the edge of the box, while a well worked move would slip Reid inside the defence just eight yards out, but his snap shot crashed back off the crossbar.

Diedhiou was causing all sorts of problems but it was Bobby Reid as per who was the class act on pitch, controlling or winning balls he had no right to get near, beating his opposite numbers so frequently on 50-50s that they'll probably be waking up this weekend seeing dreadlocks.

And of course it was Reid that made the second. He won another 50-50 ball on the halfway line in front of the benches, casually shifted past his opponent, released Paterson whose cross found Famara rising highest to glance it past the keeper. Delirium.

Ipswich probed but it was chalk and cheese. City pace and endeavour. Ipswich nothing balls in front of our defence. Garner would instead try to neuter Flint off the ball with a kick while on the ground, before they pulled one back against the run of play. 

They dropped a ball into the left of our box. Brownhill like the terrier he is knocked it clear of the forward player but our defenders held their line and didn't attack the loose ball and another Ipswich player ran onto it and crossed to the middle for Waghorn to crash it under the bar. Largely undeserved.

Second half we shut up shot and it was a bit of a non entity apart from a few long range shots at Frankie and Flint reacting first at a corner and smacking a decent shot just over the bar. Meanwhile at the back City were as comfortable as you'll see away from home but we saw the same second half last week at Norwich too. This is a really good team.

Ipswich had made all their subs inside the hour such was the one sided nature to the game (Flint and Baker win literally everything) and O'Dowda, a constant threat, was put clear but hesitated and had the ball stolen when he tried to get a shot away for that illusive first goal.

It felt like the game was drifting out to an easy 2-1 win, but to make sure the away crowd left as noisily as they arrived, Johnson threw on Leko and his trickery immediately caused problems and won a corner. Reid, the class act on the pitch, met the ball just outside the box and his shot deflected wildly past the keeper.

The score was no more than we deserved. The Ipswich fans were already drifting out in their numbers, probably moaning away in that fake-Cockney accent that makes them so distinctive and different from the country drawl of Norwich.

3-1 but to my eyes a better performance than the 4-0 at Fulham last season simply because the team looked so comfortable in all positions and dominated their opponents far more in the general play to the extent that the second half was largely a non event.

I was not a fan of Johnson and with good reason last season but this campaign he has them playing with energy, confidence and no shortage of talent. Diedhiou is growing into leading the line and Reid is the best player in the division by some distance.

Fielding 7
Wright 7
Bryan 7
Baker 7
Flint 7
Smith 7
Brownhill 8
Paterson 7 (Eliasson 6)
O'Dowda 7 (Leko 7)
Reid 9 (Taylor 6)
Diedhiou 8

I would never be able to write a report loke that, seriously im in awe. You have it exactly as it was.

Im hearing lots on social media etc about us being dirty and slowed the game down and dont agree at all. We stood up to them and played with energy. And their fans didnt make a sound until they scored. What a day

8 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Been out of the country for the whole of September...following from afar. Wonderful to read all of this. Looking forward to seeing it for myself!

Thanks for the write-up.

OK OTIB, I hope they don't take it personally but can we all chip in to keep @Red Exile out of the country for October?

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

I would never be able to write a report loke that, seriously im in awe. You have it exactly as it was.

Im hearing lots on social media etc about us being dirty and slowed the game down and dont agree at all. We stood up to them and played with energy. And their fans didnt make a sound until they scored. What a day

Total ignorance from entitled fans of a club with history and pedigree, a club who are miles away from previous glories and have been for a very long time.

3 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

For me Baker & Flint were worth 8s too as rock solid at the back up against that niggly bar steward Garner, but agree with the rest. Fammy's best all round game, although he did look a bit puffed for the last 15 minutes.

Rule number one about Olé. 

Don't quote Olé. 

Just got back myself. Always love your reports Ole. I could never remember anywhere near enough to write up that kind of report.

Maybe a couple of our goals were lucky, but a well deserved win. Thought we were great in the first half, and professional in the second.

At half time must confess I wondered if we would hang on. Different side this however than last year,  when winning away we often looked like a lower league side hanging on to a shock cup result. Whereas the first half was very open, the second half we gave them very little at all to get excited by, and always looked pretty comfortable. They ended up resorting to long balls pretty much as space was denied. We have some real steel now, Flint v Gardner was old school, no quarter asked or given, and then they shook hands and looked like they might go out for a pint later together.

On a high after the result. Best I have seen Fammy play by a distance. If being a little picky, he tired a bit, Wright got caught out a few times for me in clearly not his best position, and COD great up to the final ball, but then let down a few times.

We are not Barcelona, and sure, maybe they could have nicked a 2-2 on another day, but we were the best team and deserved the win.

Yes goid write up. Also flint had a good header saved from a corner. No way were we niggly or dirty. Our defending is immense. We very very rarely lose a tackle or header in our box . Baker man of our season so far ( with bobby) imo but i am a centre half.Fam was out ir breathe in the first half. He is coming good but no stamina - yet!

29 minutes ago, RedM said:

Im hearing lots on social media etc about us being dirty and slowed the game down and dont agree at all.

To be honest I don't care even if we did do that. A bit of gamesmanship and grit is what we missed last season. If we are forced to play shrewdly and win, I'm not bothered at all. We have steel and professionalism this season, long may that continue. 

14 minutes ago, Squeak said:

To be honest I don't care even if we did do that. A bit of gamesmanship and grit is what we missed last season. If we are forced to play shrewdly and win, I'm not bothered at all. We have steel and professionalism this season, long may that continupe. 

In the past ive said we were too soft both physically and mentally and ive wantrd us to get tougher. To be honest i thought we would have go down this route and win ugly as i didnt think we had the skills some of the big teams have paid lots of money for. Wrong!

But like i said we werent dirty or get drawn into their gsmes. Our disclipline has been excellent. We simply outplayed them snd they couldnt cope. Lovely

I just don't get it at all.

I've watched Bobby Reid for season after season and never really thought he would be more than a squad player for us. Some suggested (with reason) that even L1 was out of his reach.

How has he got so good? I wasn't at the game today but evidentally he ran rings around Ipswich. Some of his interplay and flicks have been sublime in the games I've seen.

Well done Bobby for making most of us feel pretty foolish. And well done to LJ and the coaching staff for helping transform our new forward line tornado.

1 hour ago, Olé said:
Let's just get this out the way from the get go. That was ridiculously easy. The score flatters Ipswich. This team is the real deal and that result was either evidence that we are in the right sort of position or that Ipswich are in the wrong position.

This was my fifth trip to Ipswich (lovely place) and my first win. And it wasn't even close. We just abused them. The first half was a 3 or 4 goal difference in terms of performance. Reid was put through and hit the cross bar and their goal was easily avoidable.

Most exciting for me was that it was Diedhiou's best game in a City shirt. He is really growing into the role and for most of the game he won everything and defenders didn't get near him. Johnson and Co are spot on he is the perfect foil for the pacey wide players.

Our passing was fast and confident and we went at them every time we could. Bobby Reid is obscenely talented and glided past defenders. When they got the ball they were clearly a sharp passing side but the players themselves didn't move and were easily disrupted.

In the first minute Diedhiou won a ball in our own half, shifted past midfielders and broke. Paterson charged forward and took over, running at the defence before cutting it back into the middle. Brownhill took aim and it bounced past the keeper.

It was one way traffic and in the next 15 minutes Diedhiou would go clear but hesitate and be tackled on the edge of the box, while a well worked move would slip Reid inside the defence just eight yards out, but his snap shot crashed back off the crossbar.

Diedhiou was causing all sorts of problems but it was Bobby Reid as per who was the class act on pitch, controlling or winning balls he had no right to get near, beating his opposite numbers so frequently on 50-50s that they'll probably be waking up this weekend seeing dreadlocks.

And of course it was Reid that made the second. He won another 50-50 ball on the halfway line in front of the benches, casually shifted past his opponent, released Paterson whose cross found Famara rising highest to glance it past the keeper. Delirium.

Ipswich probed but it was chalk and cheese. City pace and endeavour. Ipswich nothing balls in front of our defence. Garner would instead try to neuter Flint off the ball with a kick while on the ground, before they pulled one back against the run of play. 

They dropped a ball into the left of our box. Brownhill like the terrier he is knocked it clear of the forward player but our defenders held their line and didn't attack the loose ball and another Ipswich player ran onto it and crossed to the middle for Waghorn to crash it under the bar. Largely undeserved.

Second half we shut up shot and it was a bit of a non entity apart from a few long range shots at Frankie and Flint reacting first at a corner and smacking a decent shot just over the bar. Meanwhile at the back City were as comfortable as you'll see away from home but we saw the same second half last week at Norwich too. This is a really good team.

Ipswich had made all their subs inside the hour such was the one sided nature to the game (Flint and Baker win literally everything) and O'Dowda, a constant threat, was put clear but hesitated and had the ball stolen when he tried to get a shot away for that illusive first goal.

It felt like the game was drifting out to an easy 2-1 win, but to make sure the away crowd left as noisily as they arrived, Johnson threw on Leko and his trickery immediately caused problems and won a corner. Reid, the class act on the pitch, met the ball just outside the box and his shot deflected wildly past the keeper.

The score was no more than we deserved. The Ipswich fans were already drifting out in their numbers, probably moaning away in that fake-Cockney accent that makes them so distinctive and different from the country drawl of Norwich.

3-1 but to my eyes a better performance than the 4-0 at Fulham last season simply because the team looked so comfortable in all positions and dominated their opponents far more in the general play to the extent that the second half was largely a non event.

I was not a fan of Johnson and with good reason last season but this campaign he has them playing with energy, confidence and no shortage of talent. Diedhiou is growing into leading the line and Reid is the best player in the division by some distance.

Fielding 7
Wright 7
Bryan 7
Baker 7
Flint 7
Smith 7
Brownhill 8
Paterson 7 (Eliasson 6)
O'Dowda 7 (Leko 7)
Reid 9 (Taylor 6)
Diedhiou 8

I have been really impressed with Reid, he is for me our best player he keeps the whole team ticking forward, always looking to go forward, available for the ball and constantly hounding their players stealing so many balls from oppositions feet. 

The best player in the division ? If so lets hope we have a watertight contract with him (and not one of those Gas Watertight contracts) 

Please was also at Preston and sat in front of me witnessing a low point of last season

Decent report today but too low on the ratings in defence. 

Also nowhere near enough praise for our manager who has bossed big names most weeks since Preston away. 

He may not be Ancelotti but he is learning fast and keeping those critical fans well and truly silent. 

Probably the best owner, possibly the best coach in this division e en if player for player we are much the same as in February 

Lee made sure the impressive Skuse had to go so deep we bossed every inch of the ground where we hadn't won in donkeys. 

Lets all go to Sunderland and make some noise in that Stadium of Silence and part-time fans

CoYRs

Different side this however than last year,  when winning away we often looked like a lower league side hanging on to a shock cup result.

52 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Just got back myself. Always love your reports Ole. I could never remember anywhere near enough to write up that kind of report.

Maybe a couple of our goals were lucky, but a well deserved win. Thought we were great in the first half, and professional in the second.

At half time must confess I wondered if we would hang on. Different side this however than last year,  when winning away we often looked like a lower league side hanging on to a shock cup result. Whereas the first half was very open, the second half we gave them very little at all to get excited by, and always looked pretty comfortable. They ended up resorting to long balls pretty much as space was denied. We have some real steel now, Flint v Gardner was old school, no quarter asked or given, and then they shook hands and looked like they might go out for a pint later together.

On a high after the result. Best I have seen Fammy play by a distance. If being a little picky, he tired a bit, Wright got caught out a few times for me in clearly not his best position, and COD great up to the final ball, but then let down a few times.

We are not Barcelona, and sure, maybe they could have nicked a 2-2 on another day, but we were the best team and deserved the win.

That really sums up our early form last season and why it collpased. This is different. 

36 minutes ago, Fiale said:

I have been really impressed with Reid, he is for me our best player he keeps the whole team ticking forward, always looking to go forward, available for the ball and constantly hounding their players stealing so many balls from oppositions feet. 

The best player in the division ? If so lets hope we have a watertight contract with him (and not one of those Gas Watertight contracts) 

I'll be honest. Before this season , Bobby as a midfielder was something and nothing. Too lightweight, gave the ball away , didn't create either.

However , this season pushed forward without the pressure of giving the ball away in dangerous areas , the lad has been outstanding. I watched him closely against Bolton. The way he collects the ball the wrong side of a defender (not many players do it surprisingly at this level) . His vision , quick feet and awareness is unbelievable . He's come of age. We'll be beating bigger clubs off with a shitty stick come January but, he's a Bristolian and i'm sure would like too give it a good shot with us first.

Pleased to see @Olé picking out Bobby as I did in a threaad a couple of weeks ago, as I suggested in that thread, he is doing things on the pitch that would have pundits queueing up to praise him, if his name was Aguerro or Sanchez for exsmple. 11 games in and you would expect teams to be targeting him as one to watch by now, the fact that they can't stop him despite that, tells you everything.

Spot on report, 3-1 really was a joke totally and utterly dominate against a confident side on the back of a big win. Agreed two goals seemed to take deflections but this was no fortunate win

They hadn't a clue how to cope with an awesome Bobby Reid, while I agree Diedhiou's best game yet, our defence looked ugly and horrible to play against, while the way we constantly took the ball off them forced untold errors and moved it quickly from player to player to create openings was a different level.. Very impressive... 

11 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I'll be honest. Before this season , Bobby as a midfielder was something and nothing. Too lightweight, gave the ball away , didn't create either.

However , this season pushed forward without the pressure of giving the ball away in dangerous areas , the lad has been outstanding. I watched him closely against Bolton. The way he collects the ball the wrong side of a defender (not many players do it surprisingly at this level) . His vision , quick feet and awareness is unbelievable . He's come of age. We'll be beating bigger clubs off with a shitty stick come January but, he's a Bristolian and i'm sure would like too give it a good shot with us first.

Absolutely 

BR & JB will be playing premier league soon, hopefully with us!

Archived