IGNORED

Ipswich match report: ridiculously easy

Olé

I think easy is the word that jumps out for me as well.

I really can't remember too many first halves away from home in this league where we have been so dominant and looked so superior to the opposition. Now I'll admit I'm the type of guy that usually still thinks we can lose 4-3 when 3-0 up in stoppage time, but I really cannot recall ever being a goal up at this level away from home and being less concerned about conceding the equaliser.

I missed the Norwich game last Saturday and the Watford cup tie, so I can't comment on those two, but from the games I have seen I thought it was Diedhiou's best performance by quite a distance.

I'll admit I wasn't quite as keen on Baker in his loan spell here as some, and although on the whole I think he did well for us, I thought he left too many question marks. This season however I think he's been excellent. Really looking like an incredibly impressive signing.

Should say as well that I thought Fielding's kicking was really good today and there was one in particular in the first half that he chipped into Reid that we'd probably be seeing on a loop on Twitter all weekend if it was Neuer.

As for Bobby, don't think it's overstating it in the slightest to say he's probably the greatest football player that's ever lived...

5 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

I'll admit I wasn't quite as keen on Baker in his loan spell here as some, and although on the whole I think he did well for us, I thought he left too many question marks. This season however I think he's been excellent. Really looking like an incredibly impressive signing.

I know exactly what you mean, on loan he was a Red card in waiting. This year he is so much more disciplined, I think it might be either the full time contract, knowing he's here for good, or maybe getting the elbow from Villa was a wake up call. He has been quality and he must be one of the first names on the team sheet now.

23 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I know exactly what you mean, on loan he was a Red card in waiting. This year he is so much more disciplined, I think it might be either the full time contract, knowing he's here for good, or maybe getting the elbow from Villa was a wake up call. He has been quality and he must be one of the first names on the team sheet now.

I think Nathan was that pissed off at getting bombed out at Villa to make way for John Terry that he`s so determined to prove them wrong and that is definitely good news for us.

I'm quite proud that I quietly stuck my neck out and posted this at half-time of the Birmingham game:

"Mark my words,  this is a completely different Bristol City to last season. We'll lose a few, we may even lose today, but it might just have been worth the wait.

And I never thought I'd be saying that in March."

And we are just a completely different team now - there's a clear route to goal and there's a solidity and street-wise swagger about us.

We'll lose a few sooner or later, of course we will, but we are the real deal now!

3 hours ago, Olé said:
Let's just get this out the way from the get go. That was ridiculously easy. The score flatters Ipswich. This team is the real deal and that result was either evidence that we are in the right sort of position or that Ipswich are in the wrong position.

This was my fifth trip to Ipswich (lovely place) and my first win. And it wasn't even close. We just abused them. The first half was a 3 or 4 goal difference in terms of performance. Reid was put through and hit the cross bar and their goal was easily avoidable.

Most exciting for me was that it was Diedhiou's best game in a City shirt. He is really growing into the role and for most of the game he won everything and defenders didn't get near him. Johnson and Co are spot on he is the perfect foil for the pacey wide players.

Our passing was fast and confident and we went at them every time we could. Bobby Reid is obscenely talented and glided past defenders. When they got the ball they were clearly a sharp passing side but the players themselves didn't move and were easily disrupted.

In the first minute Diedhiou won a ball in our own half, shifted past midfielders and broke. Paterson charged forward and took over, running at the defence before cutting it back into the middle. Brownhill took aim and it bounced past the keeper.

It was one way traffic and in the next 15 minutes Diedhiou would go clear but hesitate and be tackled on the edge of the box, while a well worked move would slip Reid inside the defence just eight yards out, but his snap shot crashed back off the crossbar.

Diedhiou was causing all sorts of problems but it was Bobby Reid as per who was the class act on pitch, controlling or winning balls he had no right to get near, beating his opposite numbers so frequently on 50-50s that they'll probably be waking up this weekend seeing dreadlocks.

And of course it was Reid that made the second. He won another 50-50 ball on the halfway line in front of the benches, casually shifted past his opponent, released Paterson whose cross found Famara rising highest to glance it past the keeper. Delirium.

Ipswich probed but it was chalk and cheese. City pace and endeavour. Ipswich nothing balls in front of our defence. Garner would instead try to neuter Flint off the ball with a kick while on the ground, before they pulled one back against the run of play. 

They dropped a ball into the left of our box. Brownhill like the terrier he is knocked it clear of the forward player but our defenders held their line and didn't attack the loose ball and another Ipswich player ran onto it and crossed to the middle for Waghorn to crash it under the bar. Largely undeserved.

Second half we shut up shot and it was a bit of a non entity apart from a few long range shots at Frankie and Flint reacting first at a corner and smacking a decent shot just over the bar. Meanwhile at the back City were as comfortable as you'll see away from home but we saw the same second half last week at Norwich too. This is a really good team.

Ipswich had made all their subs inside the hour such was the one sided nature to the game (Flint and Baker win literally everything) and O'Dowda, a constant threat, was put clear but hesitated and had the ball stolen when he tried to get a shot away for that illusive first goal.

It felt like the game was drifting out to an easy 2-1 win, but to make sure the away crowd left as noisily as they arrived, Johnson threw on Leko and his trickery immediately caused problems and won a corner. Reid, the class act on the pitch, met the ball just outside the box and his shot deflected wildly past the keeper.

The score was no more than we deserved. The Ipswich fans were already drifting out in their numbers, probably moaning away in that fake-Cockney accent that makes them so distinctive and different from the country drawl of Norwich.

3-1 but to my eyes a better performance than the 4-0 at Fulham last season simply because the team looked so comfortable in all positions and dominated their opponents far more in the general play to the extent that the second half was largely a non event.

I was not a fan of Johnson and with good reason last season but this campaign he has them playing with energy, confidence and no shortage of talent. Diedhiou is growing into leading the line and Reid is the best player in the division by some distance.

Fielding 7
Wright 7
Bryan 7
Baker 7
Flint 7
Smith 7
Brownhill 8
Paterson 7 (Eliasson 6)
O'Dowda 7 (Leko 7)
Reid 9 (Taylor 6)
Diedhiou 8

Nice to put a face to the reports and tweets now Ole. Never know , might be on BT sport soon

3 hours ago, Xiled said:

I just don't get it at all.

I've watched Bobby Reid for season after season and never really thought he would be more than a squad player for us. Some suggested (with reason) that even L1 was out of his reach.

How has he got so good? I wasn't at the game today but evidentally he ran rings around Ipswich. Some of his interplay and flicks have been sublime in the games I've seen.

Well done Bobby for making most of us feel pretty foolish. And well done to LJ and the coaching staff for helping transform our new forward line tornado.

I liked him the first time I saw him v Rovers in JPT game (2-1, JET, Joe...as if anyone doesn’t remember), but did I think he’d reach these heights? No.  Did I think he had it in him?  Probably.  His technique for receiving the ball was always good, but in the middle of the park, you get stamped on, and if you don’t have options, you get caught.

In that game I enjoyed his Shorey was happy to play inside to Reid, but also always gave Reid an option.  Both played with their heads up, that’s why Shorey played Prem, even if he wasn’t great for us overall.

Back to Reid, I do think Tomlin May have had some influence....we might need to be thankful.  I see little flicks and stuff that Tomlin did that Bobby now does.

He is a talent.  Very surprised we’ve not heard contract renewals....suspect he’s not on anything like the others.

Great report, Rob. I wholeheartedly agree with everything you say. Some of our football, and I mean proper passing football in the first half, was sublime. Even better, we weren't a one trick pony and mixed things up with a more direct approach at times that was equally effective.  Ipswich could count themselves lucky to be only 2-1 down at HT. 

I was there with 3 neutrals today and all commented on how good Reid was. Been banging on about what a complete footballer he could be for some time and it's great to see him finally living up to his full potential. Some player we have on our hands.

Very good reporting Rob. Many thanks for writing that. Slight over exuberance on the Reid remarks though do you think in the cold light of day? I mean we know he is good but best in the div? Of course you may be right but time probably needs to tell. I shall look forward to the highlights as the live feed was continually disrupted.

12 hours ago, RedM said:

I would never be able to write a report loke that, seriously im in awe. You have it exactly as it was.

Im hearing lots on social media etc about us being dirty and slowed the game down and dont agree at all. We stood up to them and played with energy. And their fans didnt make a sound until they scored. What a day

I've read a lot about us being dirty too. Some of their fans appear to hate us.

read a great response to our so called dirty play...

'kicking shins and nicking wins'

Made I laugh!

@Olé Another great write up, thanks a lot. 

11 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I'll be honest. Before this season , Bobby as a midfielder was something and nothing. Too lightweight, gave the ball away , didn't create either.

However , this season pushed forward without the pressure of giving the ball away in dangerous areas , the lad has been outstanding. I watched him closely against Bolton. The way he collects the ball the wrong side of a defender (not many players do it surprisingly at this level) . His vision , quick feet and awareness is unbelievable . He's come of age. We'll be beating bigger clubs off with a shitty stick come January but, he's a Bristolian and i'm sure would like too give it a good shot with us first.

With that in mind can’t help think we should be putting a new contract under BR nose ASAP.  He’s probably on a modest wage atm. Let’s get him on a fresh 3 year deal.. 

10 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

With that in mind can’t help think we should be putting a new contract under BR nose ASAP.  He’s probably on a modest wage atm. Let’s get him on a fresh 3 year deal.. 

He's undoubtedly one of the lower earners... shall we say 4k/week?

i wonder if we've ever had a player who trebles their wages off the back of 10 weeks work before?

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

He's been a joy to watch home and away this season. Take him out of the team and the who dynamic will change, and I never thought I would be saying that.

8 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Great report, Rob. I wholeheartedly agree with everything you say. Some of our football, and I mean proper passing football in the first half, was sublime. Even better, we weren't a one trick pony and mixed things up with a more direct approach at times that was equally effective.  Ipswich could count themselves lucky to be only 2-1 down at HT. 

I was there with 3 neutrals today and all commented on how good Reid was. Been banging on about what a complete footballer he could be for some time and it's great to see him finally living up to his full potential. Some player we have on our hands.

Totally agree.  

The shackles of playing in midfield have been thrown off.  The difficulty in accommodating him and say Tomlin has been removed.  He is so busy, and fans respond to that.  Good technique coupled with short, sharp burst of pace.  And he’s scored quite a few poachers gissa too.

On an aside, what a part Diedhiou played in the early passage for our first goal.  That was the sort of stuff I saw from the bits and pieces I saw online at Angers.

15 hours ago, RedM said:

I would never be able to write a report loke that, seriously im in awe. You have it exactly as it was.

Im hearing lots on social media etc about us being dirty and slowed the game down and dont agree at all. We stood up to them and played with energy. And their fans didnt make a sound until they scored. What a day

True , you can't spell ' like ' for a start . 

:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Great match report that I agree with 100%. Looking at this squad, I think all we have to worry about is keeping players. If we can do that then we will hardly need anyone in next 2 or 3 windows. Just concentrate on strengthening our under 23s. Its rare that players sign 5 year deals like Che Adams did recently at Birmingham. But I feel we need to do that with Bobby. Offer him a deal he can't refuse.

Assuming we don't get promoted and do well this season I'm sure one or two will be sold at the end if the price is right, especially if the bid is from a Prem club. But this is all part of the plan, some of the young players we have out on loan at present will be ready to take their place in the squad next season, and the money we receive will be re-invested in the same way as the Kodjia money paid for Diedhiou

13 hours ago, bearded_red said:

I think easy is the word that jumps out for me as well.

I really can't remember too many first halves away from home in this league where we have been so dominant and looked so superior to the opposition. Now I'll admit I'm the type of guy that usually still thinks we can lose 4-3 when 3-0 up in stoppage time, but I really cannot recall ever being a goal up at this level away from home and being less concerned about conceding the equaliser.

I missed the Norwich game last Saturday and the Watford cup tie, so I can't comment on those two, but from the games I have seen I thought it was Diedhiou's best performance by quite a distance.

Should say as well that I thought Fielding's kicking was really good today and there was one in particular in the first half that he chipped into Reid that we'd probably be seeing on a loop on Twitter all weekend if it was Neuer.

As for Bobby, don't think it's overstating it in the slightest to say he's probably the greatest football player that's ever lived...

Or ever will .

One of our own . 

:clapping:

(Still) Not LJ's biggest fan but moving Reid forward has been  a master stroke , maybe with a little help from the staff but credit where it's due. 
Can't call him a number 10 even, he's so much more. Goes seamlessly form attacking midfielder to No.10 to advanced forward and poacher , and at the moment his decision making to spot on. 

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Great match report that I agree with 100%. Looking at this squad, I think all we have to worry about is keeping players. If we can do that then we will hardly need anyone in next 2 or 3 windows. Just concentrate on strengthening our under 23s. Its rare that players sign 5 year deals like Che Adams did recently at Birmingham. But I feel we need to do that with Bobby. Offer him a deal he can't refuse.

Haven't we been here before!?

• Admin
1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

(Still) Not LJ's biggest fan but moving Reid forward has been  a master stroke , maybe with a little help from the staff but credit where it's due. 
Can't call him a number 10 even, he's so much more. Goes seamlessly form attacking midfielder to No.10 to advanced forward and poacher , and at the moment his decision making to spot on. 

A similar role to that Messi performs at a higher level. 

Archived