IGNORED

Stop the Aston Villa/Birmingham hype on skysports

Oli Avonmouth Red

It was ever thus. A bit like the Channel 5 coverage of the League Cup highlights of the last round the other week. They devoted the lions share of the programme time to the fixtures featuring the top Premiership sides, regardless of the result. The 'upsets' like ours were much shorter clips and shown much later.

When Auntie Beeb get to show live FA Cup ties they'll always go for Man U if they can, hence the dull Man U v Wigan fixture last season.

Same thing, alas.

19 minutes ago, Kodes said:

It was ever thus. A bit like the Channel 5 coverage of the League Cup highlights of the last round the other week. They devoted the lions share of the programme time to the fixtures featuring the top Premiership sides, regardless of the result. The 'upsets' like ours were much shorter clips and shown much later.

When Auntie Beeb get to show live FA Cup ties they'll always go for Man U if they can, hence the dull Man U v Wigan fixture last season.

Same thing, alas.

BBC coverage has nothing to do with promoting football or sport in general, it has everything to do with the endless love-in with Manchester United. 

The FA Cup is unique in he world of football and the BBC now mostly choose to ignore the reasons why. 

Nah, let them carry on.

I don't go with this "flying under the radar" theory (oppo managers will scout us - it's just if they can stop us), but what is undoubted is that if fans of "bigger" clubs don't see us play, they'll expect to smash us on the natural size theory. When they don't, and 20 minutes into games, we're on top, that's when the oppo fans get on their players backs - and we all see where that leads.

Let sky ignore us. I'm more than happy with that.

24 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

BBC coverage has nothing to do with promoting football or sport in general, it has everything to do with the endless love-in with Manchester United. 

The FA Cup is unique in he world of football and the BBC now mostly choose to ignore the reasons why. 

Glad someone else has noticed the sycophantic Man U love-in on the BBC......if they ever got knocked out in the 3rd round, they'd stop their coverage completely.

Can't see Birmingham doing anything, even with Cotts in charge, and in a Keegan-esque rant i'd 'love it, love it' if Villa missed out on the play offs.

Maybe Sky believe that if they talk about them for long enough, then their success is guaranteed.

The reason they talk about them is because more people click on and watch those bits than if they do it for any other team which allows them sell more adverts or sell adverts at a higher cost. When you use free apps, websites and free TV you are the product not the customer, sky have managed to convince a lot of people they should pay to be the product - its an incredible business model really.

I don't understand why people complain about this.  TV companies get paid from advertising and subscriptions.  Advertisers pay more if you have more viewers.  Subscriptions pay more if you have more subscribers.  So they cater to the majority.  Face facts, most neutrals are far more interested in Prem or ex Prem sides than they are us.  You have one way of influencing a TV company - stop watching.  You can see all the goals free on the internet anyway.

7 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I don't understand why people complain about this.  TV companies get paid from advertising and subscriptions.  Advertisers pay more if you have more viewers.  Subscriptions pay more if you have more subscribers.  So they cater to the majority.  Face facts, most neutrals are far more interested in Prem or ex Prem sides than they are us.  You have one way of influencing a TV company - stop watching.  You can see all the goals free on the internet anyway.

Nail on head.Nibor.

it won't ever change. The big clubs demand bigger TV audiences - end of.

One year didn't the BBC follow trail through the rounds starting with the lowest level team and sticking with them if they progressed and if not followed the team who best them until they went out. There were a couple of very low ranking teams shown which is what it's all about. But I guess it ultimately ended with ManU playing Chelsea or someone in the final.

i really hate it when teams which play each other in the domestic season are drawn against eachother in any cup, especially all Premiership ties as you know that's going to be televised. I guess you can balance that by saying at least one gets knocked out. I would really like a cup invented where everyone gets in at the first round but it's seeded so you can't play a fellow team but someone higher or lower than the Championship for example, and obviously only lower if you are in the Prem. This can happen as long as there are teams left in different divisions, World Cup draws seed teams to avoid eachother so similar to that. 

I wouldn't want to replace the tradition of the FA Cup but it has got stale and boring. Maybe too much football on tv now

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Nah, let them carry on.

I don't go with this "flying under the radar" theory (oppo managers will scout us - it's just if they can stop us), but what is undoubted is that if fans of "bigger" clubs don't see us play, they'll expect to smash us on the natural size theory. When they don't, and 20 minutes into games, we're on top, that's when the oppo fans get on their players backs - and we all see where that leads.

Let sky ignore us. I'm more than happy with that.

Spot on. It'll mean we won't have to play at stupid times as well. Fup sky.

5 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Can't see Birmingham doing anything, even with Cotts in charge, and in a Keegan-esque rant i'd 'love it, love it' if Villa missed out on the play offs.

Maybe Sky believe that if they talk about them for long enough, then their success is guaranteed.

I don't think you will need to worry too much about Villa missing out on the playoffs, based on their recent upturn in results (plus a squad that looks miles better than all others on paper to me) they'll go up automatically..

Birmingham are a nothing club, now Harry has gone they won't get any more coverage than us.

The other week on Soccer Saturday they only mentioned us once and that was when the final score came in.

The most blatant ignorance was under GJ when we were leading the Championship and they didn't even bother to send a reporter to the ground, mentioned every other team and just hoped we slid away quietly.

In fact, I remember a City fan actually ringing in one week to ask them if they were taking the piss or what?

3 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

The other week on Soccer Saturday they only mentioned us once and that was when the final score came in.

The most blatant ignorance was under GJ when we were leading the Championship and they didn't even bother to send a reporter to the ground, mentioned every other team and just hoped we slid away quietly.

In fact, I remember a City fan actually ringing in one week to ask them if they were taking the piss or what?

Sky see us as a rugby City. Goodness knows why. But we will never get the press we deserve. Watch now that all our games get overlooked for sky coverage in next batch despite being top 4. 

Everything dances to the tune of the Premier League. The better players are in Spain, so Sky likes to push the narrative that the Premier League has the best managers, building the cult of personality around the likes of Klopp, Guardiola, Mourinho, Conte, and co.

As a result, the Championship gets the same treatment. No one gives a shit about the second tier, but they do give a shit about Flash 'Arry and how he wheels and deals his side to the top. Historically, these big-name managers have been successful at this level, so it's not an incorrect thing to follow if you're completely neutral.

If you're a fan, though, I think everyone bar those with a big-name manager is going to be pissed off at the lack of attention.

Archived