IGNORED

Credit to Lansdown

citywest30

I am already starting work on the Premiership Vespa after doing the league one winning Vespa. Orders are being taken for duplicates. Dont miss out. These are becoming rarer and rarer. Once established in The Prem we will ride to every home match and upstage Mr Linaker on MOTD

Photo0147.jpg

Photo0145.jpg

Photo0139.jpg

Think SL deserves a lot of credit for believing in & sticking by the plan. If memory serves me correct, Talk Sport even got involved & promised some fans to ask him some questions on their behalf. Don't get me wrong, maybe questions needed to be asked. And to be fair to him, he never hid away, which on top of our results & the fact that I don't think he likes or thrives on the publicity like some might, shows the character of the man. So happy we decided to do things a different way. So glad I'm a happy clapper! ( couldn't stop myself!). I think that decision will stand us in good stead for not only now, but the future to. I also believe that decision will make us even more of an attractive proposition for the next man in charge. COYR 

All credit to SL for sticking to his guns. We will never know what change may have brought, but right now we look like a very good team/squad and it's his money that has paid for it. 

As for LJ massive respect. As a bloke who has been under massive pressure at times in my life I can truly appreciate what it takes to get through it and keep the belief even when your ideas are not showing progress. There are always people prepared to judge on the basis of limited info as well as chihipers from within and that is part of the human condition. 

I don't believe this is a blip and despite most of us wanting to keep our feet on the ground, we are City fans after all, this has the fealing of a challenge in this league, long may it continue

COYR

Don't want to bump it, but there was a poll on here towards the end of that run that had something like 90% wanted LJ out. I was one of those in the end, with quite a lot of sadness. I want any manager to succeed. It would have been a disaster to have gone down, and we should not forget how fine we cut it in the end. 

After the Preston result I was logging on expecting an announcement any moment. I suppose SL knew more what was going on behind the scenes, but it was a huge call, that right now looks like it will be rewarded. I can not think of any other team in our position in this league where LJ would not have gone. He was lucky to have SL. Maybe it is one of those moments we will look at in years to come as a real defining moment in our history. Hope so.

I must admit I was fully behind LJ up until Preston when I finally wavered. However, I believe that the awful run in a bizarre sort of way has done us good - we`ve come out the other side all the stronger for it.

In hindsight, getting stuffed at Deepdale may not have been a bad thing - I imagine a lot of air was cleared as a result and enabled us to move on with a lot of people left in no doubt where they stood.

I've always been a big fan of SL. Yes mistakes have been made (and who hasn't ever made a mistake?) but he has the best interests of Bristol City at heart and the club feels like it's in very safe hands. With the redevelopment of Ashton Gate our infrastructure has improved massively, and that's because SL has been willing to fund the development of the club, which is in the best shape I've seen it in my 36 years of attending games. The future is looking bright.

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

All credit to SL for sticking to his guns. We will never know what change may have brought, but right now we look like a very good team/squad and it's his money that has paid for it. 

As for LJ massive respect. As a bloke who has been under massive pressure at times in my life I can truly appreciate what it takes to get through it and keep the belief even when your ideas are not showing progress. There are always people prepared to judge on the basis of limited info as well as chihipers from within and that is part of the human condition. 

I don't believe this is a blip and despite most of us wanting to keep our feet on the ground, we are City fans after all, this has the fealing of a challenge in this league, long may it continue

COYR

He has obviously learnt from mistakes that he himself admitted he made last season. It's just so refreshing that in a day and age of savings when things aren't going right, we had an owner that believed in seeing it through and giving him a chance to learn from them.

• Admin
5 hours ago, citywest30 said:

Very interesting stats and I don't think anybody could have predicted such a turn around. Without wanting to apportion blame, out of interest, where does the exit of JP tie in with those runs?

A quick google search shows news sources announcing JP was sacked on 7/3/17. The current run began on 11/3/17. 

4 minutes ago, Ian M said:

A quick google search shows news sources announcing JP was sacked on 7/3/17. The current run began on 11/3/17. 

Thanks. Surely it can't just be coincidence that it led to an upturn in fortunes. Not saying JP was the reason for the failure but the it obviously led to a change in leadership structure that was much more unified and pulling in the same direction.

5 hours ago, Londoner said:

Should of got Nigel Pearson

Completely agree. If we'd brought Pearson in when Johnson was at his lowest ebb, I reckon he would turned around our form, secured our survival, bought well in the summer, established a regular team selection and have us somewhere around the top 4 in the Championship by now.

Oh wait.

Worth pointing out that Johnson's managerial record here stands up against any in our recent history; only Cotterill and Johnson Snr have superior records, but both benefitted from managing the team at a lower level.

Johnson has effectively been in charge for five thirds of a season now; I'd argue he's had four good thirds and one horrific one. But overall he's in credit.

IMG_6611.PNG

I'm happy that LJ is still manager and doing well as he seems willing to learn and change methods and tactics to win games. You rarely get that nowadays.

I think SL main decision to stick with LJ was the fact they made a pledge that the managerial carousel stops at City and we will give time to a manager to get things going in the right direction. With LJ we have a manger with time on his hands and as per SL a passion for the club.  

15 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Worth pointing out that Johnson's managerial record here stands up against any in our recent history; only Cotterill and Johnson Snr have superior records, but both benefitted from managing the team at a lower level.

Johnson has effectively been in charge for five thirds of a season now; I'd argue he's had four good thirds and one horrific one. But overall he's in credit.

IMG_6611.PNG

Did we really win 11 games under SoD? It certainly didn`t seem like it.

14 hours ago, 054123 said:

I hope this works out for Lansdown and I mean that in a sincere, caring way.

He's ploughed his own furrow over all these years and has never really had the success I believe he dreams about. It's just been a long trudge in amongst a load of other clubs with no where near the resource of our club. He must have sat there each season and just wondered what on earth he had to do to bring success.

I wondered if this is the most content he's felt in his 15 years in charge?

That is a top post mate - that's all I wanted to say! Agree with every word....

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

IMG_6611.PNG

What does "five thirds of a season" mean?!

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Which can equally be described as five thirds:

3/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 = 5/3.

Do I really need to keep on justifying myself?

Not at all...enjoy your Sunday evening...just not sure why you needed to describe a whole season as three thirds....why not four quarters, or six sixths or ten tenths?!

Looking back at the last few years, I felt that SL kept Gary Johnson at the club for too long. Our results had started to suffer significantly, signings were uninspiring and there were stories of unrest in the dressing room.

Unfortunately the long run of defeats last season had similar echoes of too much loyalty. As others have said, very few managers would have survived such a run at other clubs.

It felt as though the obvious friendship between SL and the Johnson family was damaging the club.

Although I thought LJ should have been sacked, I was prepared to give him another chance if he kept us in the Championship.

I couldn't be happier that this season has been quite exceptional already. None of us know the pressure that LJ was under so hopefully this will have helped him be a better coach for the rest of his career.

I really want LJ to succeed with us. Progress with an owner and a first team coach who clearly have more at stake than the typical foreign owner and manager combination is a more satisfying feeling. We don't have to fear losing a winning coach to a better team.

But, it's the beginning of October. The problem with starting so well is that it creates too much optimism for what will happen in the rest of the season. Everyone who watches City will have their own measure of success for where we should be at the end of 46 league matches. At the moment, I would be happy to finish mid-table. I need to remember that if/when results go against us.

Daring to dream, promotion with Lee Johnson would be all the sweeter for the historic run of defeats that will always be part of his record at City. He doesn't need to reach the Premiership with us to be a success but it would be a stunning turnaround and should guarantee him legend status. I would be eating humble pie for the rest of my life but I'd be okay with that.

8 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

100%. Management have to all buy in and pull in the same direction in order to be successful. I certainly questioned the timing of the switch. It must of been a tough decision to make. 

I wonder the amount of unrest caused by Tomlin and a clash it caused between LJ and JP was ultimately his downfall. 

But to bring in Jamie Mac was a masterstroke and results bear that out. Probaly not enough credit given to LJ on that one.

Stevo

Totally agree, who couldn't.  I think JM could be a really top manager in his own right, and probably help to save LJ's ass and SL's blushes. The way the players responded to JM at the end of last season during games was quite telling, something changed.  I'm really pleased its all sorted itself out now.  For those with shorter memories it was a really crap time to be a city fan 9 months ago.  This forum was a warzone.

Admittedly, I had been waiting for the ten game mark, and now that we're past that we still seem to be doing brilliantly, so full credit to Lansdown, Ashton, LJ, and co for proving a lot of us wrong. I've slated the former for constantly talking about the Premier League as if it was achievable. If we keep this up, we'll be in a great position for either the playoffs, or a real push of it next season.

With that being said, I think we could still improve on where we are at the moment, and I'm eager to see whether we can maintain this during the middle/end of the season when teams have stopped underestimating us, and have figured us out a bit more. That, for me, is the measure of a team fighting for promotion.

Additionally, it's all about the performances as well as the results. Good performances usually bring consistent results, whereas winning by the skin of your teeth means results could go either way. We're doing pretty well so far, but there's definitely room for improvement, and hopefully our performances don't drop off and take the results with them.

Archived