IGNORED

Let's be honest here

Londoner

This season is our best chance to get promoted to the premier league. Better than the play off season, and most likely better than any other season in the near future.

Why? 1) we have a squad and side that is just as good as the majority in this league  (villa and Boro aside) fortunately Boro are in a period of transition with their new manager and his unique style which takes time to understand.

Don't get me wrong, Villa will get promoted.

2) because this league is bang average, far more average than any other season in our Championship history. There is no Brighton Newcastle etc who were streets ahead of the rest. There are no outstanding teams in this league and we need to take this opportunity while it's here.

It's pretty evident that Cardiff Leeds sheff utd are average.....simple as that.

We have the squad, we have the structure....we have a management team and especially head coach where the dury is still out.....why? Common theme with LJ is horrendous runs....lets hope this doesn't happen this season.

Realisticly, we should be expecting the playoffs as a minimum. Not at the start of the season but results change expectations there is no way around that.

No no no no no. We shouldn't be expecting anything other than an improvement on last season. Also our squad is nowhere near ready for the Premier League yet.

What I'd love this season is a top 10 finish. Once you start expecting something that no one at the club has even talked about, after a season where we narrowly avoided relegation, that's when you face inevitable disappointment. Just enjoy the ride for now.

17 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Have to disagree with you saying this league is bang average. Brighton we beat Newcastle we should of beat. And we were crap . Some huge clubs in this division. As for city we have exceeded expectations. But don't get carried away. I would still be happy with top 10 . 

This league is bang average. Just because big names are in it doesn't mean it's any good. 

8 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Sorry mate I have to disagree. And with you saying that sort of undermines how well City have done. I hope you're expectations are met . And mine 

My expectations based on the start of the season and the opposition seen is a playoff place. 

I don't think that is unrealistic ornaive....no doubt if we fail to achieve this there will be worse clubs and teams than us above us.

Yeah I don't agree either. 

I think the championship as a whole is actually way more competitive and at a higher standard than previous years. 

The amount of talent in this division is ridiculous. 

I think this is playing down how well our players and management have been. 

6 minutes ago, Londoner said:

My expectations based on the start of the season and the opposition seen is a playoff place. 

I don't think that is unrealistic ornaive....no doubt if we fail to achieve this there will be worse clubs and teams than us above us.

To call the championship bang average I thought was nonsense. But it's your opinion. We obviously see football and Bristol City in a very different way . That's you're opinion and I respect that . Even though I don't agree with it 

4 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Yeah I don't agree either. 

I think the championship as a whole is actually way more competitive and at a higher standard than previous years. 

The amount of talent in this division is ridiculous. 

I think this is playing down how well our players and management have been. 

This.

Londoner is struggling here because the only other option to claiming the division is "bang average" is to give credit to LJ & the players. 

This is a genetic impossibility for him. 

In all fairness I agree with the OP, the league doesn't feel as strong as previous years. Yes we got results against Newcastle & Brighton last season but they were nailed on to be the top 2 all season. 

This season the top 2 as well as the play off spots are all up for grabs, there's no say Burnley or the two I've mentioned already that you think are nailed on. 

Imo I think Wolves & Villa would be the teams right up there come the end.. but it's true this is a massive chance to get promoted.. id fancy us on our day to beat any team in this league over two games and then of course a play off final. 

There are some very good teams in this league the likes of Boro will probably click sooner rather than later. 

We must keep our feet on the ground but we also must keep that confidence and self belief we do have a real chance this year if we are consistently this good.

9 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

This.

Londoner is struggling here because the only other option to claiming the division is "bang average" is to give credit to LJ & the players. 

This is a genetic impossibility for him. 

I give full credit to players, fans and kitman.

25 minutes ago, Nibor said:

This post just shows how difficult it is to find a way to talk the side down given recent form.  Hard to imagine a more cock eyed view.

Quite, just a desperate and convoluted way of saying we're only doing well because the league is no good.

47 minutes ago, Londoner said:

This season is our best chance to get promoted to the premier league. Better than the play off season, and most likely better than any other season in the near future.

Why? 1) we have a squad and side that is just as good as the majority in this league  (villa and Boro aside) fortunately Boro are in a period of transition with their new manager and his unique style which takes time to understand.

Don't get me wrong, Villa will get promoted.

2) because this league is bang average, far more average than any other season in our Championship history. There is no Brighton Newcastle etc who were streets ahead of the rest. There are no outstanding teams in this league and we need to take this opportunity while it's here.

It's pretty evident that Cardiff Leeds sheff utd are average.....simple as that.

We have the squad, we have the structure....we have a management team and especially head coach where the dury is still out.....why? Common theme with LJ is horrendous runs....lets hope this doesn't happen this season.

Realisticly, we should be expecting the playoffs as a minimum. Not at the start of the season but results change expectations there is no way around that.

Rarely can the word "realistically" (no matter how you choose to mis-spell it) have been more inaccurately used.

I don't know what you're on, but whatever it is you've certainly taken too much. "Bang average" my arse, as Ricky Tomlinson might have put it. 

When we played Villa, they had an array of talent on their bench that was probably worth more than the combined value of our entire squad. I don't know if you were at the Wolves game, but they have a frankly frightening pool of ability to call on (and will get promoted this year, in my opinion, as will, in all likelihood, Villa). I could go on, but there are plenty of other people queuing up to point out the obvious.

You are way, way wide of the mark (possibly intentionally and mischieviously so). A top ten finish would represent real progress. Anything better would be a major bonus. That's realistic - in the proper sense of the word.

Probably the strongest Championship I can remember of the seasons we've been in it.

Any top half finish would be excellent but if you offered me 14th now with no relegation danger I'd take it. It's a very good start but this league is relentless.

At the same time hopefully we can enjoy the ride a little more this time round.

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

results change expectations there is no way around that

I fundamentally disagree with this.  You can't set expectations at the beginning of a season and then move those goal posts just because the results go your way.  You can move the goalposts once those initial targets are achieved, but it's unfair to do so before that point.  We're 11 games in, there's no way our targets have been met.

If you say that results change expectations then you are living in a very short term world where you can only ever look a few games forward or back.

I do not know what the club's targets were this season but I am sure they will look to achieve those first, and then push on to the next feasible target.

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

So because Bristol City are 4th . The league is bang average. If we were bottom of the league this thread wouldn't exist. Let's get back to losing and normality . In this average division 

Ignore him RA 75, he's a troll.  He readily admitted last season he wanted us to lose.

Archived