IGNORED

Johnson could be poached!!

Top Robin

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I genuinely believe that LJ has unfinished business here. He wants to get this club to the Premier league before he looks at anything else. 

He's young (very young) and has time to take on "bigger" offers once he achieves his "ambition" here. 

I'm sure SL's loyalty is a 2 way thing and, bar a "can't say no" offer from one of the countries Elite clubs, I don't think he'd be tempted (enough) by a bottom Prem team offer. 

Villa might well have tempted him last season, but he made his position very clear at the time. Since then, his relationship with SL can only have got a whole lot stronger. 

I'd love to know the odds on LJ being England manager at some point in his life. At his age, being English, if he were to achieve his goals here, I think there could be every chance that he'd get that opportunity at some stage in his career. 

Wouldn't be the first City manager to manage England, but can't think of any others than Roy Hodgson. He's a long way from that at present. I reckon McAllister has made a difference, particularly to the defence. If LJ went we could well offer the job to him.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

He's got a job for life here. If he goes to a prem club and is sacked, then where does he go from there? Big gamble if he left a sleeping giant like us who will always stick by him and let him build, which not many clubs allow nowadays. 

Nobody in football has a job for life. Most managers are extremely lucky to survive for a couple of years, though with the LJ and SL relationship the job security is greater. That said, if it all goes a bit pear shaped in years to come SL will make the correct decision - as per Gary Johnson. Even if LJ gets us into the Premier League, there will come a time when he moves onto greater things, leaves by mutual consent, or is sacked 

Did he not sign a fairly lengthy contract extension last season, while we were in the midst of our losing run? Fair enough, I know contracts mean very little but he joined us because of who the club is & because of the ‘project’, knowing it was a long term thing.

He’s hardly scratched the surface when it comes to fulfilling his end of the bargain with regards to the ‘project’ & I just don’t see him walking out on us unless it’s a very attractive job, Johnson seems far from stupid & will be fully aware of of how good a job he has here in terms of job security, there are very few other clubs that I (or anyone) could name that would offer him or anyone for that matter the sort of security he has here.

Ok, so things are going really well and he is proving my doubts about his ability as being incorrect.  He gets poached and am I worried ................ no not really as there are many other managers out there who can do the job equally as well if he decides to move on.  There is no indispensable man !! 

4 hours ago, phantom said:

Aren't we getting ahead of ourselves just a little bit?

We're 11 games into the season - let's put some perspective on this

He was going to be the next England manager this time last year....:laughcont:

4 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

You were guilty as many others were! 

SL brought him in, stuck by him, rightly ignored th JOs and will surely know the time to let a man go. He does done this many times in football and many times in business, more successfully than you or I can imagine. So, keep the faith with  the man up top and just continue to love what we have today and could have tomorrow. 

You are of course right.  Lee just has a lot going for him and already doing really well in less than 20 months at a club whose fans arguably don't deserve the success he can serve up. 

EPL clubs who could come knocking include Bomo, Brighton, Burnley, Newcastle,  Stoke, Swansea but I fear the real threat comes from a foreign owner who just looks at Stats and responds to agents. The J family are footie - savvy enough to see a great deal for them personally when it is offered so we are already under threat, even from Championship clubs. 

However, as stated many times on this Forum, including back in Jan/ Feb, we should all place faith in SL- he hardly ever gets a call wrong! Therefore if Lj goes we'll get someone else better in his place,  however hard this would be to imagine today

CoYRs

I would argue that Lansdown has got quite a few calls wrong: SOD, McInnes and Coppell to name three. And even sticking with LJ last season was a massive gamble - we only stayed up by the skin of our teeth and had we gone down, it would've been a disaster.

As for our fans not being very deserving... we're an incredibly loyal bunch considering how little success we've had over the years.

I don't believe that Lee would be tempted to leave City. He loves the club, and seems committed to the cause and the long term plan. I certainly don't think that a lower Premier club would prise him away; different if it was one of the Big Boys. Personally, as one of the very few who stayed loyal during the Dark Ages of last season, I want him to do a Wenger or Ferguson, and stay at least as long as Alan Dicks did.

LJ has had offers from other Clubs bigger than us to work for them. Not as manager, but coach.

Every coach or manager wants the opportunity to be able to create their own team, own identity, own way of playing. Putting their stamp on the club....their own piece of history and legacy.

There will be managers under extreme pressure at other clubs, to produce results almost immediately. They know deep down that they won't have time to build their own side.

I can't see LJ going anywhere, until he's done what he's aiming for here, or he's no longer wanted.

This Club and it's Coach are going on a journey...and they are taking us along for the ride. Enjoy it :-)

4 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

It's 11 games into the season. 

My thoughts exactly. I know football fans in general are fickle but our lot.. jesus wept. A few losses and Johnson will be looking over his back in regards to our fans opinions. Im dreading we have a wobble in October as the knifes will be out ready and waiting i can assure you.

27 minutes ago, spudski said:

LJ has had offers from other Clubs bigger than us to work for them. Not as manager, but coach.

Every coach or manager wants the opportunity to be able to create their own team, own identity, own way of playing. Putting their stamp on the club....their own piece of history and legacy.

There will be managers under extreme pressure at other clubs, to produce results almost immediately. They know deep down that they won't have time to build their own side.

I can't see LJ going anywhere, until he's done what he's aiming for here, or he's no longer wanted.

This Club and it's Coach are going on a journey...and they are taking us along for the ride. Enjoy it :-)

Spot on.

7 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I never thought I would say or even think this after the last couple of seasons but I think he is in a position right now where he could quite easily be snapped up by another club.......even lower position Premier teams.

He's young, has the right attitude, his image and persona are good and he has revamped a struggling team into his mound and now reaping the rewards.

There a are a few clubs who are struggling at the present who could well come in for him based on what he has done thus far.

I think there may be a number of 'Johnson outers' (and I was leading that call up until a few weeks ago!) who would now be gutted if he were poached by another club. 

Now what a massive turnaround that would be......from desperate for us to get shot of him to praying that he stays.

If any club does come knocking we best hope that Lee has a degree of loyalty to us and had forgotten the hatred thrown out at him a few months ago (and I was as guilty and many others)

Wow.....:laughcont:

It's amazing how an incredible month can completely transform people's opinions of the guy 

It really has been an incredible month. Fair play to him and everyone involved for what they've achieved. Long may it continue.

...but talk of him being poached is way over the top and extremely premature 

Archived