IGNORED

Lansdowns Millions (Merged)

wendyredredrobin

6 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

May have something to do with Ravenscroft Investments on Guernsey.

SL was on Sky business news this week being interviewed. I only caught the very end of it. But he is still very much active in his field of expertise apparently.

The guys from Harry Potter?

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Your wealth must get to the stage where you're not really interested in investments or making more money

His wealth will look after the Lansdown Family for generations and some - surely you'd spend on what you enjoy - what's the point in making millions you could never spend or enjoy 

No reason that has to be City ,

(But in his position I'd have some fun with a bit of change here and there ;) :yes:)

I've spent a little time around very wealthy people recently, I'd have agreed with you before hand.  Truth is anybody worth hundreds of millions has had their life exactly how they want it for a long time, they have total freedom in how their time is spent and most remain involved in business for a long time afterwards.  It's not that they need more money it's the process of getting it they enjoy.  They can be anything from narcissistic control freaks through to altruistic philanthropists but they all enjoy being involved in deals and making things happen even if it becomes more of a hobby than a career.

I expect all SL is doing here is recognising it's a prudent time to take money out of the FTSE and put it into something not tied to the UK during this brief window post brexit vote and pre brexit deal where things are relatively sane.  His investment in City has been great, if only it had been targeted a few years ago as well as it is now.

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

I've spent a little time around very wealthy people recently, I'd have agreed with you before hand.  Truth is anybody worth hundreds of millions has had their life exactly how they want it for a long time, they have total freedom in how their time is spent and most remain involved in business for a long time afterwards.  It's not that they need more money it's the process of getting it they enjoy.  They can be anything from narcissistic control freaks through to altruistic philanthropists but they all enjoy being involved in deals and making things happen even if it becomes more of a hobby than a career.

I expect all SL is doing here is recognising it's a prudent time to take money out of the FTSE and put it into something not tied to the UK during this brief window post brexit vote and pre brexit deal where things are relatively sane.  His investment in City has been great, if only it had been targeted a few years ago as well as it is now.

I agree with you. In principle, however with SL moving away he has had less to do with HL however Hargreaves used to go into the office every day even though he had relinquished control 

2 hours ago, zippycar said:

The Hargreaves Lansdown shares have stagnated for the past three or four years and so I would suspect that he is looking for a better return for (some) of his money.

They have risen very nicely over the last few weeks peaking at over £15. Since Steve sold a pile and they went XD they have dropped a bit though.

Still a market leader with a loyal client base and a prwtty good reputation along with strong growth, look decent to me.

He's heard through the grapevine that there's an opportunity which has recently arisen at a local university.

They are apparently crying out for a stadium and with his expertise in delivering a world class stadium where the quality of sprinklers is unquestionable, he sees a great investment opportunity to bring athletics into the Bristol Sport family.

17 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Out of interest, when youve sold your shares for £190million, where do you keep that amount of cash?

Dont banks only guarantee a hundred grand if they go bust????!!

You won't keep that amount of cash in a natwest current account. It will be with an investment bank where it can be liquidated at short notice. Assuming he's ear marked the funds for investment somewhere in the near future. 

1 hour ago, pride of the west said:

You won't keep that amount of cash in a natwest current account. It will be with an investment bank where it can be liquidated at short notice. Assuming he's ear marked the funds for investment somewhere in the near future. 

Maybe he's just keeping it in the form of once of those giant cardboard cheques. It would fit perfectly under the mattress until needed.

1 hour ago, beaverface said:

Out of interest, when youve sold your shares for £190million, where do you keep that amount of cash?

Dont banks only guarantee a hundred grand if they go bust????!!

The government only guarantee about £86k from memory.  The ultra rich will be banking with private banks - very different than the ones the likes of us use.  £1m minimum deposit, fees in the thousands of pounds a year range but getting a totally different class of service.  They've got no worries about guarantees there really.  I expect most of the capital gets invested elsewhere pretty quickly though.

6 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Your wealth must get to the stage where you're not really interested in investments or making more money

His wealth will look after the Lansdown Family for generations and some - surely you'd spend on what you enjoy - what's the point in making millions you could never spend or enjoy 

No reason that has to be City ,

(But in his position I'd have some fun with a bit of change here and there ;) :yes:)

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

But for a person who's career's purpose is to solely make money, that really isn't the case.  An addict always wants more, they can never get enough.

It would be a bit like suggesting to Alex Ferguson that he's won enough trophies, so to chill out.

I know a former investment banker who chose a change in career because although he would now be a multi-millionaire he just could not see the point.

11 hours ago, Fiale said:

Maybe for the indoor arena and hotel on the land he has aquired on Winterstoke road. Not sure how much longer until Wikes etc move, but presumably he needs to start getting the money in place in anticipation, selling now as he feels it's a good price int he time scale he's looking at ?

From hints dropped on here before I think that deal is somehow tied in with some of the land at AV being used by the council? Maybe to do with the building of houses on the Alderman Moores site? Pretty sure there's been no public progress on that since it was announced by BCC earlier this year. Either way, the Wickes deal going ahead seems to rest on a deal with the council. Sure @Dollymarie has mentioned this before on here. 

11 hours ago, Nibor said:

The van hoogstraten documentary on YouTube is a fascinating watch. Horrible evil man who probably should be inside  but he never stops working/accumulating money

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

From hints dropped on here before I think that deal is somehow tied in with some of the land at AV being used by the council? Maybe to do with the building of houses on the Alderman Moores site? Pretty sure there's been no public progress on that since it was announced by BCC earlier this year. Either way, the Wickes deal going ahead seems to rest on a deal with the council. Sure @Dollymarie has mentioned this before on here. 

Was that not the training ground. The council like housing or community projects to be part of large planning applications so affordable housing was going to be included in part for the scheme. To be honest it's all be so long since I heard the plans (and even then it was rumour / 2nd hand info) I cannot remember the original fact from all the speculation since.

13 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Was that not the training ground. The council like housing or community projects to be part of large planning applications so affordable housing was going to be included in part for the scheme. To be honest it's all be so long since I heard the plans (and even then it was rumour / 2nd hand info) I cannot remember the original fact from all the speculation since.

Deffo Wickes I think 

15 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Read over the weekend that Steve has just sold £190 million of Hargreaves Lansdown shares. Whilst this is enough to buy Neymar, I doubt whether this money is destined for BCFC or Bristol Sport, more likely an investment into another financial firm/fund manager.

Any chance of some of it coming the way of BCFC do you think?

I think a little bit of lateral thinking is needed here.

SL should indicate that there will be a free bar for fans should we get promoted because I suspect support and attendance would go up? It would probably be cheaper than buying a new player.

12 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

They have risen very nicely over the last few weeks peaking at over £15. Since Steve sold a pile and they went XD they have dropped a bit though.

Still a market leader with a loyal client base and a prwtty good reputation along with strong growth, look decent to me.

Concerns over cooling markets which have seen a remarkable bull run since March 2009. HL is linked to the success of the financial markets and investors appetite to place their money in them. In the medium term you have to assume these historic highs the likes of the FTSE and NASDAQ are experiencing cannot be sustained, especially as QE is unwound and interest rates start to rise. 

5 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

Oh come on, you will be telling me next you never played FIFA, you need to get real, can't talk about anything that will bore the kids. SL is just loaded, it matters not to them how he achieved it.

Sorry i dont understand what you are talking about.  Is it Harry Potter language?

Archived