IGNORED

Admiration for Nathan Baker

Port Said Red

I have to say I am full of respect for the way this guy has played since he got here.

No fuss, no bother and most of all no settling in period. I realise he has been here before, but that was a different time and under different coaching, so it doesn't really change my opinion.

It doesn't seem to matter to him who he plays alongside either. Starting with Bailey Wright he took more of a first ball role, and now paired up with Aden Flint he has switched to the covering position.

I don't get the impression that he is "Mr Bristol City" by any stretch of the imagination, but he's clearly a professional doing a very good job, let's not take him for granted.

Not sure anyone is taking him for granted. He has been a beast so far. Winning most things, whether they be in the air or on the ground. Uncompromising and no nonsense.

It was always said he had a mistake in him, but we've seen less of that, or that he will get himself a stupid red. Well we've seen a little less of that too, but I'd take the odd suspension in exchange for his comittment. You need players like that in this physical league.

No.1 tackling defender in the league is Joe Bryan.

No.2 is Luke Ayling.

Imagine if we had a back four of:

Ayling  Flint/Wright  Baker Bryan

Surely that defence wouldn't be bettered by many in this division this season.

I must confess that I wasn't overimpressed with the lad when he was here on loan.

He was being booked too often and was injured quite a lot but since coming back he has been class.

He is so close to his man that the attacker can do nothing when trying to intercept a ball .

Baker just swots it away.

He has also brought a bit of agression to the back line and must be horrible to play against. 

Well done Baker , keep it up .

Does his thing and gets on with it without fuss (the temper seems curbed) and with great professionalism.  A terrific player.

Because he stands next to Flint, you can forget what a big bloke he is too. 

"Our central defence is bigger than your defence na na na na na!" we could say to nearly everybody. If we wanted.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Not sure anyone is taking him for granted. He has been a beast so far. Winning most things, whether they be in the air or on the ground. Uncompromising and no nonsense.

It was always said he had a mistake in him, but we've seen less of that, or that he will get himself a stupid red. Well we've seen a little less of that too, but I'd take the odd suspension in exchange for his comittment. You need players like that in this physical league.

No.1 tackling defender in the league is Joe Bryan.

No.2 is Luke Ayling.

Imagine if we had a back four of:

Ayling  Flint/Wright  Baker Bryan

Surely that defence wouldn't be bettered by many in this division this season.

I really liked Luke Ayling when he played for us but wasn't too sorry to see him go and still have no regrets. I never felt that he was quick enough to be a Championship RB and despite the rave reviews he's received since joining Leeds, he often seems (to me) to be out of position or have some culpability when goals are conceded. I always felt that, in the Championship (certainly not in L1) that defensively, he was a bit of a liability. I wouldn't want him back in our team now. 

21 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Does his thing and gets on with it without fuss (the temper seems curbed) and with great professionalism.  A terrific player.

Because he stands next to Flint, you can forget what a big bloke he is too. 

"Our central defence is bigger than your defence na na na na na!" we could say to nearly everybody. If we wanted.

Doesn't this belong in a "chants" thread..?! 

17 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I really liked Luke Ayling when he played for us but wasn't too sorry to see him go and still have no regrets. I never felt that he was quick enough to be a Championship RB and despite the rave reviews he's received since joining Leeds, he often seems (to me) to be out of position or have some culpability when goals are conceded. I always felt that, in the Championship (certainly not in L1) that defensively, he was a bit of a liability. I wouldn't want him back in our team now. 

It's interesting isn't it? We can see the level that LJ requires of his players right now and where he wants them to get to, it makes you realise why some of the players that some of us have liked or "could be a good squad player" have been moved on. Could you really see us being as happy seeing a Burns or a Golbourne for example coming off the bench or playing in our "cup team"? 

Don't underestimate the short term effect Steve Bruce had with Baker during their time together on the training ground at Villa last year. Think I saw a lot of Villa fans say he was their most improved player last season, and even though he might not set the world of football alight with his management skills; Bruce will know 'a lot' about being a more than decent centre half! 

16 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Don't underestimate the short term effect Steve Bruce had with Baker during their time together on the training ground at Villa last year. Think I saw a lot of Villa fans say he was their most improved player last season, and even though he might not set the world of football alight with his management skills; Bruce will know 'a lot' about being a more than decent centre half! 

Best centre half never to play for England? 

Gotta be up there in the top 5 CBs in the division IMHO, can see why Villa fans were so upset to see him leave. 

When you consider he already had nearly 80 appearances in the PL before even his first stint with us, you've got to reckon he's a definite PL quality CB now with how much he's improved. 

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Agree. Ayling is good but Pisano is IMO better. Shame that he isn't a bit younger but still has four five years left in him hopefully. Can't wait to see him back in the squad.

2 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Is it fair to say that you've had him then Rudolf ?

Villa did not actually want to sell him, they had to due to the FFP problem and to balance the books,

A complete class act now and just need to add a few goals (flint style). agree the OP 100%.

With hindsight I think Villa must be regetting swapping an aging JT with Baker who is at the peak of his game.

34 minutes ago, robinreliant said:

Agree. Ayling is good but Pisano is IMO better. Shame that he isn't a bit younger but still has four five years left in him hopefully. Can't wait to see him back in the squad.

Based on a few games?

33 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

IMO, we're one creative attacking midfielder away from a promotion squad.

Totally agree with this, have watched every minute, all bar a couple when there were teething trouble's with bctv,  our back 3 baker/flint/wright are absolutely outstanding, shame Pisano got injured and its going to be interesting to see what happens when he's fit again. He looked our best RB in a long long time early doors.

All we are lacking is a "magic"man to give us a little bit more unpredictability BUT these maverick type players normally bring different team issue's. At times we almost try to over complicate play around the box, but it was good to see us shoot on Sat and get a couple of deflections so maybe LJ has told them to shoot a bit more? 

Archived