IGNORED

Potential Bristol City podcast.

JamesBCFC

11 hours ago, Raging_Robin said:

I tell you who would be good on a pod cast. @Tim S @Olé and David Lloyd.

I'd throw @Robbored in as a Katie Hopkins type figure. 

Well for anyone who remembers, myself and Dave L used to do a regular podcast about 4/5 seasons ago. In all honesty, it was a strange situation because the club were all up for it but there was no budget for it. But we tried to provide a different insight into the club that was available at the time. Chatting to players in a more lighthearted way than you would normally hear and trying to give a different angle to interviews rather than the normal serious stuff and giving fans a chance to get to know the players for who they are as people away from the pitch. I remember doing an interview with Steve Lansdown for the podcast and he allowed me to ask him questions that the normal media wouldnt go near. Same with Derek McInnes. I was disappointed the club didnt get more behind it at the time but I also know the media department and budgets etc were up in the air and the club were going through lots of changes so I understand why it didnt get the attention I hoped it would. At the time, the podcast got great feedback and myself and Dave were pleased with what we were doing given the limited resources to produce it. I was gutted we couldnt justify continuing it but thats just how it was at the time.

I look back on it and think we were onto something great, and maybe we were! But unfortunately, times are moving very quickly these days and what we were doing back then on the podcast is out of date now. Things like the YouTube Head 2 Head quiz the club did recently - we did something similar on the podcast. It worked then but it wouldnt work now. Im all in support of a podcast - but if someone wants to make it work - it has to be something really cutting edge or an angle of the club that people havent been able to access before. 

Think outside the box - does it need to be a podcast? Youtube videos or Fan TV seems to be the current trend.... Perhaps go down that route?

Im not trying to burst the bubble here by any means!! Im just saying that if you want to do something that will work, maybe look beyond a podcast! 

11 minutes ago, Tim S said:

Well for anyone who remembers, myself and Dave L used to do a regular podcast about 4/5 seasons ago. In all honesty, it was a strange situation because the club were all up for it but there was no budget for it. But we tried to provide a different insight into the club that was available at the time. Chatting to players in a more lighthearted way than you would normally hear and trying to give a different angle to interviews rather than the normal serious stuff and giving fans a chance to get to know the players for who they are as people away from the pitch. I remember doing an interview with Steve Lansdown for the podcast and he allowed me to ask him questions that the normal media wouldnt go near. Same with Derek McInnes. I was disappointed the club didnt get more behind it at the time but I also know the media department and budgets etc were up in the air and the club were going through lots of changes so I understand why it didnt get the attention I hoped it would. At the time, the podcast got great feedback and myself and Dave were pleased with what we were doing given the limited resources to produce it. I was gutted we couldnt justify continuing it but thats just how it was at the time.

I look back on it and think we were onto something great, and maybe we were! But unfortunately, times are moving very quickly these days and what we were doing back then on the podcast is out of date now. Things like the YouTube Head 2 Head quiz the club did recently - we did something similar on the podcast. It worked then but it wouldnt work now. Im all in support of a podcast - but if someone wants to make it work - it has to be something really cutting edge or an angle of the club that people havent been able to access before. 

Think outside the box - does it need to be a podcast? Youtube videos or Fan TV seems to be the current trend.... Perhaps go down that route?

Im not trying to burst the bubble here by any means!! Im just saying that if you want to do something that will work, maybe look beyond a podcast! 

Ultimately I'd love it if any podcast started by the fans got to the point where LJ (or whoever is Head coach), players or even SL was able to have an appearence once in a blue moon. 

Would question whether the club might be more reluctant with this being a fan led idea (if/when it happens).

Personally (and I may not have any role at all, I'm just trying to keep the idea going- been part of many "that would be great to do" ideas that never happened) I wouldn't have any budget to work with.

There would be potential in time to get a budget if something like Patreon was used where things can be put up and people have the option of donating money to it, or putting the podcast on Youtube and going for ad income (not a fan of monetising it at all- though could see potential if the money was either voluntary and the podcast/product was available for free as well, and all revenue went back into the podcast product in some way).

I may be wrong, but feel a podcast would be the cheapest and easiest type of thing to set up- but expanding into other areas in time would be great.

I have to ask, would you be interested in being on it, as a guest or as a bigger role? 

If it did expand to video then although it's been a while I have a degree in film production. Sure there are a few transferable skills to what is effectively radio though but the audience is one I'd unfortunately anticipate being relatively low in comparison to the efforts made to produce it in all honesty.

5 hours ago, Tim S said:

but if someone wants to make it work - it has to be something really cutting edge or an angle of the club that people havent been able to access before. 

Well it doesn’t exist for the club currently so by definition it’s thinking outside the box.

It doesn’t necessarily have to be anything that’s never been done before - I thought the Ipswich podcast from last week was nice. Would I listen if it wasn’t featuring City? No. Would I listen to something similar about City? Yes, if interesting and relatively good quality. I reckon lots of people feel the same.

The podcast could be the platform to build on for more YouTube related content eventually. I don’t think anyone has ambitions of creating YouTube content with millions of subscribers here Tim. Just to begin with a nicely made podcast that can get a bit of momentum and have a few hundred listeners each episode.

Pod would be great. I do a search on pocketcasts a couple of times a year in case one has started that I've missed out on

As for Tim's suggestion of a video channel, rather than a podcast, I'd use this on the drive to and from work. I get 90 mins everyday to myself so this is my time, I wouldn't have time to watch a video. Young family, and another on the way, no good for me. Just putting that out there!

I'd put my hand up to dip in and out from time to time, but for reasons above I couldn't commit to any more than that. And besides, I've got a face for tv, not radio :ph34r:

Great idea, and well done to everyone putting their hands up, I really hope it's something that gets off the ground. As others have said, we have an amazing forum and I'm surprised that a City podcast isn't out there already. One thing though, I wouldn't tie it to OTIB too much, that 'love' that this place is shown on twitter and facebook may turn a few off

Maybe we'll end up with a huge conglomerate of city content then. We were thinking about what we'd do if we did it on YouTube but I think atm the easiest route to a perceived success would be through a podcast. I think it would be good to have an organised fan's youtube channel with a wide variety of content though.

Have they stolen this idea from here do you think? Seems very coincidental... they’ll have the name, tech, experience and money behind it, maybe we should wait and see how this works out if it’s good then there’s no point us wasting our time and money on it as it would be to same/same. If it fails we’ll know what works and doesn’t. 

We've got a pretty good grasp of how the podcast is going to sound. We're going to take on the Evening Post rather than let them monopolise. Ours is going to have an emphasis on providing a voice for all fans rather than just you lot hearing an "expert" opinion. If anyone's giving away 3 identical microphones let us know.

Can't believe that she is hosting a gas one too, that's pretty bad...

In fitting with the podcast's theme of fan inclusion and involvement we want to know what you would call it?

We thought of Cidercast or maybe Robinscast.

15 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

We've got a pretty good grasp of how the podcast is going to sound. We're going to take on the Evening Post rather than let them monopolise. Ours is going to have an emphasis on providing a voice for all fans rather than just you lot hearing an "expert" opinion. If anyone's giving away 3 identical microphones let us know.

Good. It will always be better when fan led. I wonder if they pinched the idea from here?

17 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

In fitting with the podcast's theme of fan inclusion and involvement we want to know what you would call it?

Robins on the wire :ph34r:

38 minutes ago, Negan said:

Have they stolen this idea from here do you think? Seems very coincidental... they’ll have the name, tech, experience and money behind it, maybe we should wait and see how this works out if it’s good then there’s no point us wasting our time and money on it as it would be to same/same. If it fails we’ll know what works and doesn’t. 

It'll be rubbish like those 'Bristol Sport TV round ups' where they barely scratch the surface of what's really happening at the club. Let's compete with them.

On 03/10/2017 at 13:44, JamesBCFC said:

Following on from @Phileas Fogg on another thread, I'd thought I'd have a look at a few things.

Firstly, what is required to make the podcast, the mixer, microphone, etc. (Currently still looking at this, and the cost of buying what is needed to get started)

Secondly, how much of an audience there would be. It does strike me as a little odd that for a fan base that is so active online that we do not have a podcast.

Finally, and most importantly, people that would be interested in either hosting it (I have said I am willing have a try if no one else is going to have a go) or being a part of it as a guest.

Please - don't do 'podcasts' - I appeal to you.

The internet has some uses, and we don't want it blocked up with this pointless shyte.

Thanks in advance.

tfj

56 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Is she a city fan? 

Everything from the Post football wise is pretty shite. Had a couple of good articles from Stockhausen over the years. But yeah I'd much rather get behind a fan led podcast. Seems like they're jumping on the idea from this thread.

42 minutes ago, Negan said:

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Good. It will always be better when fan led. I wonder if they pinched the idea from here?

I doubt they nicked the idea.

They probably would have had to look at getting funding etc sorted.

If this thread had been up longer then maybe, but the thread probably gave them a kick up the arse about it.

34 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I doubt they nicked the idea.

They probably would have had to look at getting funding etc sorted.

If this thread had been up longer then maybe, but the thread probably gave them a kick up the arse about it.

It's been talked about on here for a week or so now ever since that Ipswich one. Wouldn't be surprised if they did nick it.

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

I was going to suggest:

Conversation Literally Improvised Today On Radio Internet Station

The abbreviation is a little unfortunate however.

Sounds like a great idea. I would suggest that the format / atmosphere of 'The Football Ramble', one of the most successful podcasts ever made, is a great target. Lively, friendly and convivial, whilst capturing the essence of the pub!
As far as a name goes... I suggest:

'One Stream In Bristol'

Archived