IGNORED

The fans have spoken; scrap the EFL Trophy.

22A

Bearing in mind these games \are evening fixtures which means playing under expensive to run floodlight'''''

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/johnstones-paint-trophy/story/2992682/checkatrade-trophy-games-attracts-record-low-crowds

At least 16 of Tuesday's 24 games in the Checkatrade Trophy drew attendances of less than 1,000 and only Chelsea and Luton drew more than 1,500.

Middlesbrough's 3-0 loss to Shrewsbury managed a crowd of 308 and Peterborough's 2-1 win at Barnet drew less than 400.

My brother in laws mate is the marketing director at Johnstones Paint.

He has no real interest in football so when the FL advised him of the proposed changes to the format he asked around a few of his mates for their thoughts. Everyone he spoke to told him it was a poor idea and he relayed that back to the FL and ultimately withdrew sponsorship. 

Not v interesting but thought I’d share anyway!

41 minutes ago, 22A said:

Bearing in mind these games \are evening fixtures which means playing under expensive to run floodlight'''''

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/johnstones-paint-trophy/story/2992682/checkatrade-trophy-games-attracts-record-low-crowds

At least 16 of Tuesday's 24 games in the Checkatrade Trophy drew attendances of less than 1,000 and only Chelsea and Luton drew more than 1,500.

Middlesbrough's 3-0 loss to Shrewsbury managed a crowd of 308 and Peterborough's 2-1 win at Barnet drew less than 400.

I am amazed at the Peterborough / Barnet attendance.

Is it the competition of the lack of publicity to blame.

I'd happily drive the 300 - odd miles to Peterborough if only they had bother sending the junk email to me with sufficient notice.

tfj

49 minutes ago, 22A said:

That's last year's link

Not that the attendances last night were any higher

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I always hated being in the Micky Mouse Cup in whatever guise. It just reminded me that City were a lower league team.

So uninterested was I that I never bothered with the day out at Wembley last time. 

you missed a great day out, though I know what you are getting at.

43 minutes ago, semblar said:

Scrap it or return it to a knock-out format without the U23 'ringers'? Either could be inferred from the attendances I guess.

Hopefully immaterial to us for many years to come (unless we enter our U23s in the future :clapping:

It would be fun to see our U23's play the 15'ers. I wonder whether they'd boycott that one (cycle racing excepting, obviously).

Well if it's ditched no one can ever beat our number of victories in the final....a proud record! And whatever you think of the competition now, the 1986 final reduced me to tears and Glyn's late equaliser against Mansfield in the '87 final is also a special memory....five finals and three victories - I'd quite like that to be a stat and a record hidden away in a corner of our proud history...

(ps - the 2007 final is also a highlight, an underrated ex City striker scored to give me a wide, wide smile!)

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I always hated being in the Micky Mouse Cup in whatever guise. It just reminded me that City were a lower league team.

So uninterested was I that I never bothered with the day out at Wembley last time. 

... although interested enough to go watch the gas when they played there? :noexp:

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Seen City at Wembley against Stoke, Bolton, Carlisle at Millennium in the MM cup. Didn’t interest me at all last time

luckily missed stoke, and have to hold my hands up and say apart from 86 cant say I saw too many of the other preliminary games.

33 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well if it's ditched no one can ever beat our number of victories in the final....a proud record! And whatever you think of the competition now, the 1986 final reduced me to tears and Glyn's late equaliser against Mansfield in the '87 final is also a special memory....five finals and three victories - I'd quite like that to be a stat and a record hidden away in a corner of our proud history...

(ps - the 2007 final is also a highlight, an underrated ex City striker scored to give me a wide, wide smile!)

Still think we should be given the trophy permanently like Brazil got the Jules Rimet. 

3 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Still think we should be given the trophy permanently like Brazil got the Jules Rimet. 

I agree! But as we won it under three different sponsors we actually won three trophies of different design...it wasn't the same trophy! Bristol City FC - winners of the Freight Rover Trophy, the LDV Vans Trophy and the Johnstone's Paint Trophy....and they all looked different!

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That was a pray off final........the new Wembley as it was then.

So , you won't bother to support your own team in the final of a 'nothing' competition yet you go to watch a team that means 'nothing' to you in their league play off final? I guess that's why the word 'obtuse' exists.

14 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I agree! But as we won it under three different sponsors we actually won three trophies of different design...it wasn't the same trophy! Bristol City FC - winners of the Freight Rover Trophy, the LDV Vans Trophy and the Johnstone's Paint Trophy....and they all looked different!

Indeed.

Though I thought the LDV and the JPT were the same trophy?

And what ever happened to the original Freight Rover Trophy? Can't find it on Google anywhere...

Puttimg in the u23 teams really is an insult to the teams in League 1 and 2. It was fine as it was, a great chance for a day out at wembley for your lower league outfits. Okay the attendances  are always low but they have always been relative to the teams involved. So what if Northampton only get 2k or whatever through the gate in the early rounds, what do they average in the league say 4/5 k at home?

If A Prem club like West Brom attract a say 10 k crowd in the first round of the league cup no one bats an eyelid but its the same principal and is still a shocking att.. should we scrap the league cup too? Its all bollox IMO.

Archived