IGNORED

The fans have spoken; scrap the EFL Trophy.

22A

Same her not 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I always hated being in the Micky Mouse Cup in whatever guise. It just reminded me that City were a lower league team.

So uninterested was I that I never bothered with the day out at Wembley last time. 

Same here but boys 1st Wembley  still had a great day

4 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

And we still took nearly 40k :)

Half of those fairweather fans. I'll bet plenty had never seen City play before. Wembley is always a good day out tho. I could have gone with the Senior Reds but just couldn't be arsed.

The boycott seems to be having the desired effect - even Plymouth-Exeter drew a paltry 3,000 and that is a derby.

The EFL will have to sit up and take notice sooner or later - it's not just the scandalous introduction of the U23 teams but the stupid introduction of a penalty shoot-out for a bonus point.

I'd expect (and hope) they will realise this has been a horrible mistake and revert to the original format. I hope they don't axe the tournament altogether because it's the one shot lower league clubs have of winning a national trophy at Wembley.

The win over Walsall will always live fondly in my memory because I live overseas now and it was the first time I'd been able to see City live in years. I have to say though that there was generally a fantastic lack of passion in display from the fans at Wembley and Cardiff in 03 - easily explainable by the number of day trippers in attendance plus the fact that the tournament played very much second fiddle to the main objective of promotion.

The twirling of the scarves at the end of the Wembley win though was a sight to behold.

Certainly the competition can't soldier on in its current farcical format for much longer.

31 minutes ago, bris red said:

Puttimg in the u23 teams really is an insult to the teams in League 1 and 2. It was fine as it was, a great chance for a day out at wembley for your lower league outfits. Okay the attendances  are always low but they have always been relative to the teams involved. So what if Northampton only get 2k or whatever through the gate in the early rounds, what do they average in the league say 4/5 k at home?

If A Prem club like West Brom attract a say 10 k crowd in the first round of the league cup no one bats an eyelid but its the same principal and is still a shocking att.. should we scrap the league cup too? Its all bollox IMO.

I would say that yes, the league cup should be sacrificed (after we win this season's competition of course ;) )

There's no room in the calendar for two domestic knockout competitions any more. If it weren't for the Europa League place afforded to the winners I fancy it'd've been binned long ago. Championship, L1 and L2 clubs play far too many games just with the 46 league matches.

I'd advocate for no league cup and five leagues of 20. That would lessen the number of marathon midweek round trips and might give the FA Cup back a bit of prestige as well.

6 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

The boycott seems to be having the desired effect - even Plymouth-Exeter drew a paltry 3,000 and that is a derby.

They never even mentioned it on the local news down here either yesterday or today -normally they hype the derbies up for a week. I didn`t even realise they were playing till I came on here.

15 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

They never even mentioned it on the local news down here either yesterday or today -normally they hype the derbies up for a week. I didn`t even realise they were playing till I came on here.

It's a surprisingly feisty affair, considering Devon is footballing backwater. There's always trouble when Argyle go to St James.

13 minutes ago, Nube Rojo said:

spot on dude, all the powers that be care about, is helping sodding Prem clubs!

That's what it is nowadays! Premiership clubs have the FA over a barrel and they have done for some time.

22 minutes ago, myol'man said:

What? Scrap it? The few have got West Ham reserves next week, biggest game of the season. Guess the crowd 

I will applaud them if they boycott it. For once, the lower the gate at Sagsville the more impressive it would be.

3 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

It's a surprisingly feisty affair, considering Devon is footballing backwater. There's always trouble when Argyle go to St James.

It is. You don`t want to be shopping in Sidwell Street on matchday that`s for sure. Usually trouble at Argyle to, it generally goes off in Central Park.

It tells you a lot that there can`t have been any last night otherwise it would have been on the news.

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

So , you won't bother to support your own team in the final of a 'nothing' competition yet you go to watch a team that means 'nothing' to you in their league play off final? I guess that's why the word 'obtuse' exists.

Yeah.................:facepalm:

Some gasheads are and in one case were good mates of mine. Sadly one of them Graeme passed away about 18/12 ago. 

Put it back to how it was and let the L1 and L2 clubs have their competition back, I'd also reformat the league cup to make it something different to the FA cup. Maybe a round of matches to then leave X teams for a group stage before knockouts after. 

11 minutes ago, hodge said:

Put it back to how it was and let the L1 and L2 clubs have their competition back, I'd also reformat the league cup to make it something different to the FA cup. Maybe a round of matches to then leave X teams for a group stage before knockouts after. 

Regarding the League Cup, to keep the broadcasters happy, they should allow all of the teams to compete six rounds then, regardless of the outcome, allow ManU, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool to contest the semi finals and final. :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Regarding the League Cup, to keep the broadcasters happy, they should allow all of the teams to compete six rounds then, regardless of the outcome, allow ManU, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool to contest the semi finals and final. :rolleyes:

I mean to make it really interesting they should just take the top 16 teams from the previous premier league year and start there...

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

It is. You don`t want to be shopping in Sidwell Street on matchday that`s for sure. Usually trouble at Argyle to, it generally goes off in Central Park.

It tells you a lot that there can`t have been any last night otherwise it would have been on the news.

Christ, a football match in Plymouth and it kicks off in New York? That really is a feisty one!

3 hours ago, WessexPest said:

I would say that yes, the league cup should be sacrificed (after we win this season's competition of course ;) )

There's no room in the calendar for two domestic knockout competitions any more. If it weren't for the Europa League place afforded to the winners I fancy it'd've been binned long ago. Championship, L1 and L2 clubs play far too many games just with the 46 league matches.

I'd advocate for no league cup and five leagues of 20. That would lessen the number of marathon midweek round trips and might give the FA Cup back a bit of prestige as well.

It's not the cup itself that gives a Europa Leage place. England gets given a certain number of CL slots (4) and a certain number of EL slots (think 3). Up to the FA how its given out. If they wanted could give it to the team who wins the Championship.

7 minutes ago, joeyb said:

It's not the cup itself that gives a Europa Leage place. England gets given a certain number of CL slots (4) and a certain number of EL slots (think 3). Up to the FA how its given out. If they wanted could give it to the team who wins the Championship.

I understand. I think only the English and French leagues give their league cup winners a European spot.

The Scottish League discontinued their spot for league cup winners some time ago and the equivalent competition there has been left without a point to speak of.

If our clubs continue to underperform in the CL and our number of European places are reduced if might see the league cup winners lose their place - then I think the tournament would be toast.

14 hours ago, Robbored said:

Half of those fairweather fans. I'll bet plenty had never seen City play before. Wembley is always a good day out tho. I could have gone with the Senior Reds but just couldn't be arsed.

A lot of people i know took their wife's a lot other took girl friends wasn't just people who turn up for a big game.

I could see the logic in trying out a competition with the Under 23 teams, but it's clear that the experiment has not been a success. Crowds have plummeted and there is no evidence to suggest it has done anything for the competitiveness of the u23s either. But there is no doubt that the prospect of a day at Wembley is a great opportunity for lower league clubs, and I'd go back to how it was before - possibly even include some National League sides as well. If you wanted to take an unnecessary competition out of the schedules, I'd be looking at the League Cup. I may revise that opinion if we get to the final ;-)

Archived