IGNORED

Gareth Southgate

Super

3 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

If it was in his contact then he's entitled to it . I'd be more inclined  to have a dig at the morons who run the game.

Yep,he probably didn't even ask for it,but was offered it anyway.

21 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

If it was in his contact then he's entitled to it . I'd be more inclined  to have a dig at the morons who run the game.

This, no blame to Southgate for this, do people expect him to ask them to take it out? I expect England managers have had this clause for a long time so not exactly sure how its news. 

Of course he should have some kind of performance related pay.  He's in a performance business.  It would be ludicrous to pay someone a load of money without offering any kind of incentive to achieve the first step to success in a line of business that is entirely results based. 

Not sure it should matter what the group is.  Qualifying is all that matters.  In my lifetime we've not qualified for 5 tournaments and not got out the group stage in another 5.  No wonder the organisation structures the pay of it's key manager to incentivise meeting these targets. 

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

Of course he should have some kind of performance related pay.  He's in a performance business.  It would be ludicrous to pay someone a load of money without offering any kind of incentive to achieve the first step to success in a line of business that is entirely results based. 

Not sure it should matter what the group is.  Qualifying is all that matters.  In my lifetime we've not qualified for 5 tournaments and not got out the group stage in another 5.  No wonder the organisation structures the pay of it's key manager to incentivise meeting these targets. 

Rubbish. He should get a bonus for reaching a Qf in a major competition not getting out of a group like this which any no hoper could do.

15 hours ago, Super said:

Rubbish. He should get a bonus for reaching a Qf in a major competition not getting out of a group like this which any no hoper could do.

Well presumably he would. Even the FA aren't silly enough to give him a contract that only incentivizes qualification are they?

The man was given a job to do and he's done it. How difficult it was, or how else the money could be used, are not really of any consequence here.

Qualifying from that group should have been an ABSOLUTE MINIMUM. Do any of you get a bonus at your work for achieving the absolute minimum?

Ridiculous to offer that, especially as he was basically the bottom of the barrel option for the job anyway.

If Ancellotti would accept the job right now, I would do what is required to get him in before the WC personally.

Do people really think it'd be different for the France manager, Spain manager etc? Imagine this is pretty standard. 

Expect Arsene gets a nice bonus for finishing fourth every year. 

City would have received prize money last year for narrowly avoiding relegation despite the fans expectations. 

Listening to some of ex pros recently. At the highest level, most footballers have an adequate skill set and knowledge of tactics and how they fit in to systems. The difference between players/teams at the highest level is motivation and confidence.

Do we think Southgate is a man who is a great motivator and inspires confidence? Did anyone before his appointment, bar the FA, think so?

You get what you deserve. The FA appointed their man.

Boring, crass, shapeless and negative football summed up by Henderson now being an auto choice (and captain!) and orchestrating the whole dismal show on the pitch.

Of course, all parties, including fans and the general public, expected qualification as an absolute minimum, and the bonus aspect may well have been overblown.

In fact, it is probably all academic because if, as has been stated, the salary package was circa. £3M, it was probably easier for public consumption to say 'circa. £3M plus/including a bonus of £250K if you qualify'.   

Most fans on  OTiB seemed a bit cautious of Lee Johnson earlier this year? Now most seem to think our good league run will go on forever and we'll win the cup and go to Europe. Some also suggest our remarkable Head Coach will then leave City to replace Southgate as England manager. Is this a fair summary of the past 9 months? 

6 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Most fans on  OTiB seemed a bit cautious of Lee Johnson earlier this year? Now most seem to think our good league run will go on forever and we'll win the cup and go to Europe. Some also suggest our remarkable Head Coach will then leave City to replace Southgate as England manager. Is this a fair summary of the past 9 months? 

No, not really. 

18 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Lee Johnson:  was good, then utter sh*te, then got good again.

Could keep being good or could go back to being utter sh*te, the joys of football.

I was looking forward to the Slovenia game, after what I thought was one of most watchable performances of recent years v Slovakia.  I was let down.

Whilst I totally accept that England do not have the talent pool of yesteryear, nor are we anything better than around the 20 mark in FIFA rankings, we have enough decent players to play better than we did v Slovenia, and several other group games.

Now, without being hypocritical, because I don’t think formations are the be-all and end-all, but why did we need to play 2 ‘holding’ midfielders in front of a back 4...Henderson and Dier?  We were also at home.  Neither JH or ED try to break through the lines, so we end up with 4 (Sterling, Kane, Oxlade, Rashford) up against 2 banks of 4, or sometimes a back 4 and 5 strung across.

Walker didn’t see enough of the ball, went too much down the left, where Rashford did well, but Bertrand has become another expansive left back for club (and selected as such) who seems frightened to play that way for England.  See Baines, and Ashley Cole in his final 50 caps.

I’m not naive to think I could do a better job than Southgate, but would we play much worse if he just told them to go out and play.

22 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Sack him now. Might as well have kept Hodgson. Although the football we've played under Southgate has actually been worse somehow. 

The FA have to be brave & choose a head coach who isn't an invertabrate ........get comfortable,help yourself to a beer and be ready for a long wait.

5 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

The FA have to be brave & choose a head coach who isn't an invertabrate ........get comfortable,help yourself to a beer and be ready for a long wait.

I posted before that Southgate is the FAs "safe pair of hands". He's completely corporate in his thinking. Nothing remotely controversial about him. He's not going to do or say anything that might embarrass the FA.

The fact that he has no managerial record to speak of means bugger all to the FA.

Untill the FA change their "safety first" attitude and appoint someone with a more controversial attitude England will get nowhere.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I posted before that Southgate is the FAs "safe pair of hands". He's completely corporate in his thinking. Nothing remotely controversial about him. He's not going to do or say anything that might embarrass the FA.

The fact that he has no managerial record to speak of means bugger all to the FA.

Untill the FA change their "safety first" attitude and appoint someone with a more controversial attitude England will get nowhere.

Can’t believe for once I am agreeing with your comments.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

I agree, but I do wonder why he commented on Mark Sampson the other week.  Unnecessary.

On 07/10/2017 at 12:38, Robbored said:

I wish you were wrong, but you hit the nail on the head there.

On 07/10/2017 at 12:38, Robbored said:

Unfortunately @Robbored you're spot on. I've never known an England manager to be so dull and uninspiring. 

The fact that his only previous management job prior to the u21s was manager of Middlesborough  (who he relegated to the Championship) is shocking. Is it really a surprise that this team is so dull and boring?

The FA seem to have the opinion that they went foreign in Sven and Capello, who never worked out great, so wanted to go back to home grown English managers. Southgate is the best we have, yeah ok then.....

Who is the right person to manage England, that would want to?

Personally I don't have a problem with Southgate, as I don't think I know who is the right choice. Until we have enough truly world class players coming through, it's going to be a poison chalice for anyone. Hopefully some of the younger lads coming through are good enough technically to make the grade. Maybe the current U20's coach will be the right choice in a few years time.

Archived