IGNORED

Gareth Southgate

Super

I tend to stand by City managers vehemently, but I think given the choice I’d see Southgate sacked from the England role and someone else be given 8 months to prep for Russia. I can barely keep focus on an England game since he took charge. 

I'm not particularly bothered about past jobs for an England manager. I'm not sure what it proves.

He is not working with the players to train and develop them; he's trying to create the best squad from the nation. Whether that's to fit a formation or a formation to suit the players, or built around a few key players that's the choice. It's a very different job to club management. A leader, who can inspire is a the largest part - unfortunately that is not Southgate. 

I'm going to speak in defence of Southgate, but I'll preface this by saying that I don't think he's a very good coach or manager

However, at least he's prepared to try new things and I feel he'll be very good at giving young players opportunity. England managers have a habit of going for the 'safe' option, falling back on the veterans at the big clubs to get the job done. 'The job' being qualifying in the most boring manner possible and then scraping through the group stages. I genuinely believe that Southgate will pick young, exciting players and actually play them if they warrant selection. It won't help us win the World Cup because Southgate is neither sufficient a motivator nor sufficient a tactician, but at least there'll be some kids with something to prove there

11 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

In my lifetime we have, in my opinion had 2 quality coaches   Terry Venables and Glenn Hoddle both forced out for non footballing reasons, until we change the people at the top we will never progress.

Sven was decent too.  He picked players for the way he wanted to play, not just what the papers thought were our best eleven.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Sven was decent too.  He picked players for the way he wanted to play, not just what the papers thought were our best eleven.

I thought he was a bit weak tbh, seemed to pander to the celebrity.  Will never forgive him for the way he used Scholes. 

Archived