IGNORED

The Official 'I don't really watch England any more, but I'm kind of, sort of, maybe watching/following England v Slovenia but only ironically/so I can moan about how bad we are/because I'm a glutton for punishment Match day Thread.

BCFC Rich

3 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

But if you listen to Match of the Day on a Saturday night, Harry Kane is described as one of the best, if not the best, Strikers in the world today. 

I’d say Harry Kane probably is one of the best strikers in the world 

2 minutes ago, shepton red said:

I think you are suggesting that I am lying. I am in the Foundation, Covent Garden now, pop by for a drink , 

I'm not suggesting you're lying, what would I gain from that? But you do seem defensive, it was a serious question either way...

It was 0-0 at Wembley against Slovenia and we ended up in tonight's game with 1 goalkeeper, 5 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders on the pitch.   We have learnt nothing from Euro 2016, or WC 2014, or Euro 2012, or WC 2010. We have had a safety first mentality for years and in Southgate we have another manager who will adopt a cautious approach. And after we fall dismally out of the tournament next summer we will be promised more of the same old shit again

Not defending England and definitely not Southgate (who in my opinion should be nowhere near the top job) but it must be hard to get the team on board with a game plan at international level. It's taken a season and a bit for LJ to get everything seemingly heading in one direction here. Pep seems to have got his style working better this year at Man City, but it took him a season. At international level you get such short bursts with the players. If you wanted to play a high press for example and the players are at clubs who don't play that way your going to be hard pressed to get that game plan working.

40 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Not defending England and definitely not Southgate (who in my opinion should be nowhere near the top job) but it must be hard to get the team on board with a game plan at international level. It's taken a season and a bit for LJ to get everything seemingly heading in one direction here. Pep seems to have got his style working better this year at Man City, but it took him a season. At international level you get such short bursts with the players. If you wanted to play a high press for example and the players are at clubs who don't play that way your going to be hard pressed to get that game plan working.

Agree with your post. He should pick players to fit the system, not on reputation. 

6 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Because .........

He is 

I'm not denying that mate. I was just responding to the fact that people were saying there are no world class players in the England side.

The biggest challenge the England manager needs to overcome is to get the best of a players club form out of them when they run out in an England shirt. 

56 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

I'm not denying that mate. I was just responding to the fact that people were saying there are no world class players in the England side.

The biggest challenge the England manager needs to overcome is to get the best of a players club form out of them when they run out in an England shirt. 

:thumbsup:

Kane is world class IMHO and in a good side break all sort of scoring records

Ali has the ability and isn't far off if he's not there already

Lallana was our best player at Euros , Rashford looking decent , Stirling devastating on his day , Kyle Walker very decent , but we lack a single quality central midfielder and a manager to gel a group of players and find the ultimate way of utilising Kane & Ali , and Lallana I'd suggest 

They asked Big Sam a couple of days ago, if England could win the World Cup and to the interviews surprise he said we could - Sam explained we could because of Kane & Ali if  they had a red hot tournament - (he said we could not would)

Southgate wouldn't inspire me - more likely to send me to sleep

We need to build solid and hit sides on counter attack if we have any hope of doing much right now

Ive read plenty on here and elsewhere question Kane - he's top drawer IMHO and getting better - only injuries will prevent him breaking all sorts of records and we are very fortunate to have him

He and Thise highlighted make us a dangerous side when we fire , but we rarely put two , let alone three or more , performances together and lack quality in middle of pitch atm

Astounding that his goals are scored spread evenly off both feet and a decent return with his head - Not many better finishers in World atm IMHO

Totally level headed and a consummate Pro dedicated totally to his football - admire him greatly

Imagine him up front with Shearer in a different era !

10 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

We have no 'worldies' so our only chance is to build a team based on hard work, high momentum, high pressing. Very much like City.

We have to pick a team who can deliver that. We need to dip into whatever pool of 'talent' to deliver that team. Bit late now... but he has to look beyond to the 'big 6' and include the Championship in his search. Identify the role then fit the player rather than the other way round.

The Liverpool, Man City and Spurs players do play in sides who play like that. They also play with better players. The pool of talent you refer to is thin. The best minus Lallana and Ali were playing.

What strikes me is the obsession that the England team (in particular) has with retaining possession of the ball at all costs, even if it means turning an attacking opportunity into a pass back to the goalkeeper.  This has the effect of continuously slowing the game down and allowing the opposition to regroup.  Many of the top teams have shown that you don't have to have 70% possession of the ball to win a match in style, and indeed City are a case in point as we tend to labour against teams (Milwall, Bolton) who surrender large amounts of possession to us, and do well against sides who want to play against us.  Last night only Jesse Lingard seemed to get the need for pace and incisive movement (playing rather like Jamie Paterson does for us) but even he appeared to give up after about 10 minutes, being dragged down by the pedantry all around him.

Archived