IGNORED

The Official 'I don't really watch England any more, but I'm kind of, sort of, maybe watching/following England v Slovenia but only ironically/so I can moan about how bad we are/because I'm a glutton for punishment Match day Thread.

BCFC Rich

On Sunday, England will play the footballing powerhouse that is Lithuania. There is absolutely nothing riding on this game. Southgate could select himself, his entire backroom staff and Benson and Hedges to play and the result wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to England's qualifying or any other team in the group. 

Now is the time to give the players a chance to stretch themselves. Pick a few of the fringe players. Try things out. Let the players have free reign to go for it. 

England coming through the qualifying campaign unbeaten will mean nothing in the long run if we can't develop in to a side that can challenge when it really matters.

26 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Talk of Real sniffing and willing to offer £175 million 

Will be interesting to see what Spurs do and what Kane wants as he's very hotbproperty right now

I don't know if they will. They've just signed Benzema on a new deal (how over rated is he btw).

I can't see Ronaldo liking Kane either, really can't... Kane is a PROPER striker... Goals at mind

My issue with the England side is the complete lack of desire to get on the ball. For their clubs, this group are constantly moving, looking for space and want the ball. For England they all seem quite happy for others to have it. It's why we labour against so called lesser sides because there is no desire to play.

It is nothing short of lazy and unprofessional. 

Any manager picking Dìer and Henderson in the same side and then compounds that with Sterling as playmaker deserves to be sacked. We played without conviction against a poor side and looked to be playing to very strict instructions. I cannot believe these players are that poor, having reached the levels they play at in club football. Unmotivated, tactically naive, and just plane scared of playing to their natural ability, screams of poor management. Get rid of the manager now, so that there is time to build a side for next summer. I guess, in reality we will have to fail dismally at another tournament before the old farts are forced into reluctant change. Also, in picking a new coach/manager lets ignore where he was born and go for the best we can get.

100% agree with the OP and the title, never had my feelings summed up so well before.

I am 50 and spent the first part of my life following and beleiving that England would one day win it again, not anymore.

I am sure there are some nice guys inthe team, but when I look at them collectively I see a bunch of millionaire pre madonna's who dont represent me or the streets I came from. Most appear to be playing becaouse their agents tell them its a good thing to be in the shop window.

Hard to believe, but I have actually watch more of the Wales games in the last 12 months. certainly more entertaining and at least they are giving their all and want to be there!

I only dipped in and out of the game last night but what I saw was very dull from England - little inventiveness and at walking pace too often. My interest in watching England has waned over the last couple of years and things don't look like they're improving.

2 hours ago, Ashtonboy said:

Any manager picking Dìer and Henderson in the same side and then compounds that with Sterling as playmaker deserves to be sacked. We played without conviction against a poor side and looked to be playing to very strict instructions. I cannot believe these players are that poor, having reached the levels they play at in club football. Unmotivated, tactically naive, and just plane scared of playing to their natural ability, screams of poor management. Get rid of the manager now, so that there is time to build a side for next summer. I guess, in reality we will have to fail dismally at another tournament before the old farts are forced into reluctant change. Also, in picking a new coach/manager lets ignore where he was born and go for the best we can get.

Henderson is selected in club football by one of the finest coaches in the World.

Southgates 4-2-3-1 formation is fluid, not strict. That formation is six attacking players and four defensive minded players. When fit that is Kane, Lllana, Ali, Rashford and overlapping /pushed up full backs - Rose and Walker. Stones does not sit either ...

What England's performances highlight Manager/Coach to the next new Manager/Coach is the paucity of the English game. This is not new, the malaise exists foreign coach, or not.  Each new coach gets called conservative, dull, uninspiring a yes man etc ... But the root causes - The English game and structure remain.

Second tier nation. That is England. Its enjoyable if viewed so. 

I really don’t think Kane is world class, yet, he needs to knocking in 4 or 5 goals at international tournaments to be considered, he needs to be winning titles and cups, and that’s not happening. 

Scoring against European minno’s And skying 25 yard free kicks against Iceland when you are having a bad game doesn’t make you world class. 

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Henderson is selected in club football by one of the finest coaches in the World.

Southgates 4-2-3-1 formation is fluid, not strict. That formation is six attacking players and four defensive minded players. When fit that is Kane, Lllana, Ali, Rashford and overlapping /pushed up full backs - Rose and Walker. Stones does not sit either ...

What England's performances highlight Manager/Coach to the next new Manager/Coach is the paucity of the English game. This is not new, the malaise exists foreign coach, or not.  Each new coach gets called conservative, dull, uninspiring a yes man etc ... But the root causes - The English game and structure remain.

Second tier nation. That is England. Its enjoyable if viewed so. 

Thats a joke, right?

13 minutes ago, Ashtonboy said:

Thats a joke, right?

No.  Kids, youths, women, semi pro, pro  ... Football is what it is at each level. England are not a top level nation, and have not been for a significant period so can be viewed in that context = Don't expect much. There are still things to admire and enjoy.

25 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

No.  Kids, youths, women, semi pro, pro  ... Football is what it is at each level. England are not a top level nation, and have not been for a significant period so can be viewed in that context = Don't expect much. There are still things to admire and enjoy.

I expect to be entertained at whatever level. 

England are worse than watching paint dry. No wonder Wembley was a third short of capacity and there was far greater interest in paper aeroplanes than watching Henderson ping the ball around our 'ball playing'  centre backs.

Summed up for me when we had a free kick at a decent angle in the opponents half. What did we do? We pass, not even sideways but backwards. Then what? Five passes between the centre backs and midfield crossing the ball crossing the half way line each time and.... we lose the ball to the opponents who attack us. 

What absolute moron is telling them to do this? If no one is, are players are just so ingrained with negative thoughts they do this naturally. Pathetic. 

20 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

England are worse than watching paint dry. No wonder Wembley was a third short of capacity and there was far greater interest in paper aeroplanes than watching Henderson ping the ball around our 'ball playing'  centre backs.

Summed up for me when we had a free kick at a decent angle in the opponents half. What did we do? We pass, not even sideways but backwards. Then what? Five passes between the centre backs and midfield crossing the ball crossing the half way line each time and.... we lose the ball to the opponents who attack us. 

What absolute moron is telling them to do this? If no one is, are players are just so ingrained with negative thoughts they do this naturally. Pathetic. 

Agree 

I interpreted this as an attempt to draw Slovenia out as they were sitting deep and organised

Down to the fact we had no real idea how to break them down as without Lalanna and Ali we miss nearly all the creative spark we have

(We also had no real idea or the ability to draw them out either !! )

Not sure which was worse last night - our lack of creativity or how exposed we looked on counter 

Frustrating because when we  play with zip , and movement we can look a handful

4 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

No moron tells them to do this. The game will dictate a players reaction x his ability. Players at Liverpool, Man City, Man City and Spurs are not being ingrained with negative attitudes, they play with better players in a league that generally sees open football and lots of space to exploit..

International football is tight, sides shut up shop, manage space tightly and England for a long time have lacked the ability to adapt to the challenges. The best England have played recently was v Germany in match where Germany played freely, very openly and less than seriously. Last night England improved when Slovenia opened the game up, the primary cause of England's goal was their Keeper releasing the ball too early with his team out of shape if they had stayed compact and conservative it was 0-0, a challenge Cappello, Houghton etc all struggled with, while the best outplay England. Different coach same outcomes .. 

Same old same old. England have pace and power but teams can easily deal with that. Quicker thinking is needed. Creative players at top premier sides are all foreign except Lallana. Standard of creative midfield players is as low as it has ever been. Lallana is a shoe in when fit with the power of Alli with a fight to get in alongside them. 

• Admin
11 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Well we've qualified at least. Don't know if its been mentioned before but Argentina are on the verge of failing to reach the world cup after a 0-0 draw with Peru.

Argentina will clearly qualify. Their final game is against Ecuador whilst the two nations immediately above them face each other.  Not just that but Chile 3 places above them travel to Brazil and there's a good chance Argentina will therefore overtake them for good measure.

41 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Argentina will clearly qualify. Their final game is against Ecuador whilst the two nations immediately above them face each other.  Not just that but Chile 3 places above them travel to Brazil and there's a good chance Argentina will therefore overtake them for good measure.

Logically, I am sure you are right, but I just fancy a draw with Ecuador, ditto with Peru/Colombia and fingers crossed for a Brazil draw with Sanchez and Chile - who should have qualified already, but were let down by silly defeats in the last round of games.

5 hours ago, Judda said:

I thought half full. 50k max... does that include the empty corporate seats?

I think they always include them, I remember when city played hull the crowd was about 84.000 but half the corporate seats were empty made my blood boil.

14 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

On Sunday, England will play the footballing powerhouse that is Lithuania. There is absolutely nothing riding on this game. Southgate could select himself, his entire backroom staff and Benson and Hedges to play and the result wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to England's qualifying or any other team in the group. 

Now is the time to give the players a chance to stretch themselves. Pick a few of the fringe players. Try things out. Let the players have free reign to go for it. 

England coming through the qualifying campaign unbeaten will mean nothing in the long run if we can't develop in to a side that can challenge when it really matters.

would be a great thing, unfortunately Southgate does not come across as the adventurous type.

13 minutes ago, Redstoke said:

Taking the piss out of them is the thing they hate the most my friend you have misunderstood the joke.

I think I now know what you were trying to do, but any joke about an organization like IS just isn't funny how ever well intentioned, and I will laugh at almost anything.

• Admin
8 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Logically, I am sure you are right, but I just fancy a draw with Ecuador, ditto with Peru/Colombia and fingers crossed for a Brazil draw with Sanchez and Chile - who should have qualified already, but were let down by silly defeats in the last round of games.

I'd love you to be correct and would be another facet to the Messi/Ronaldo debate. Ronaldo inspired his nation to win the Euros, Messi may not even be able to inspire his to qualify for the WC.

Archived