IGNORED

Flint and Johson get September Player and manager award

BCFC Rich

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

At what point does it go from crap play to bad luck?

Reid was roundly slated after a miss away at Cardiff, when in reality there was a slight touch from Bamba.

Reid had missed several chances where you would expect a goal, so one being missed against us is luck starting to balance out- that was the point being made.

Missing a penalty as badly as Tomlin did, was solely down to rubbish play by him, no blame was ever attached to LJ for that to my knowledge. 

Reid certainly missed a few chances last season, one at Rotherham in injury time springs to mind, but none were remotely on the scale of Dyer's miss, which was probably the worst I have ever seen live.

Personally I found all that "bad luck" stuff being spouted last season by LJ to be complete nonsense and despite the claims that we were being badly treated by referees on a regular basis, Wilbraham's goal (which clearly should have stood), was the only one I could see a case for.

In fact even then I reckon we got given the penalty in the second half to try to make up for it..

Just to show that I am even handed though I don't think we are doing so much better this season simply through a lot of good luck, either.

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Missing a penalty as badly as Tomlin did, was solely down to rubbish play by him, no blame was ever attached to LJ for that to my knowledge. 

Reid certainly missed a few chances last season, one at Rotherham in injury time springs to mind, but none were remotely on the scale of Dyer's miss, which was probably the worst I have ever seen live.

Personally I found all that "bad luck" stuff being spouted last season by LJ to be complete nonsense and despite the claims that we were being badly treated by referees on a regular basis, Wilbraham's goal (which clearly should have stood), was the only one I could see a case for.

In fact even then I reckon we got given the penalty in the second half to try to make up for it..

Just to show that I am even handed though I don't think we are doing so much better this season simply through a lot of good luck, either.

Reading away?

Legit goal ruled out, dive given as a penalty against us, handball not given for us.

There were several times. The reviewing panel obviously agreed as they sent several letters of apology.

9 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Some of those who slated Flint both  in ability , and particularly questioned his committment and attitude might like to reflect 

:whistle:

Well done Lee :clap:(And JM / DH as I'm sure Lee would acknowledge)

and Aiden ..... actions rather than words speak volumes big man :clap:Top Man

Inspirational 

Only a few idiots questioned his commitment surely , he's never been found wanting in that department. I've always had a doubt about his defending on the deck against a nippy striker but once again with flinty , whenever he's been questioned he steps up . Fair play to him .  

Didn't want to start a new thread and I know it's completely off topic but...

Genuine question @Bob Bob Super Bob, if we went on a similar losing streak this season (say losing 6 in a row) what do you think your reaction would be and would you have a similar opinion of LJ to last season?

Same question to @Marina's Rolls Royce by the way

Genuinely interested to hear from two people from different ends of the spectrum.

(bloody hell, feel like Trevor McDonut now) :P

15 minutes ago, Leaning To One Side said:

Genuine question @Bob Bob Super Bob, if we went on a similar losing streak this season (say losing 6 in a row) what do you think your reaction would be and would you have a similar opinion of LJ to last season?

Genuinely interested to hear from two people from different ends of the spectrum.

Losing six in a row wouldn't be an issue right atm for me , Leaning -It wasn't just the losing streak of eight or whatever (As one little keyboard Sneerer tried to explain it ) - it was the points return , the performances over 3/4 months and 20 odd games , a disharmonious dressing room and the constant tinkering and outing of players publicly causing more unrest and the b*****t surrounding Tomlin 

The whole package looks totally different atm and none of the above seem to apply  and fair play 

Last season LJ looked like a fish trying to drive a tractor , complete change all round this season

Id still be more than happy with consistency of performance and a mid table finish

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Losing six in a row wouldn't be an issue right atm for me , Leaning -It wasn't the losing streak of eight or whatever (As one little sniper tried to explain it ) - was the points return , the performances over 3/4 months and 20 odd games , a disharmonious dressing room and the constant tinkering and outing of players publicly causing more unrest

The whole package looks totally different atm and none of the above seem to apply 

Id still be more than happy with consistency of performance and a mid table finish

Thanks for the reply Bob

LJ (and the whole squad tbf) certainly seems to have matured and has definitely learned from last season.  The whole club seems to be growing nicely.

1 hour ago, Leaning To One Side said:

Thanks for the reply Bob

LJ (and the whole squad tbf) certainly seems to have matured and has definitely learned from last season.  The whole club seems to be growing nicely.

yep

Lee has learnt some harsh lessons and his team of him / JM & Dh working well

You can see the fruitupion of the training ground work and sticking to a plan

We have a young side with pace which is an usual spectacle at BS3 !!

Really intriguing times

Long may it continue - but stability and gradual possession is great - anything more a bonus 

2 hours ago, Leaning To One Side said:

Really good question and here's my end of the spectrum :

I don't think LJ is the Messiah , I just believe he's a very young progressive coach with plenty of potential whilst still learning lessons. Lee's gonna continue his ups and downs but so long as his ( and that of his team's)  trajectory is upwards and people don't resort to inane and emotive comments such as he's "an incompetent clown" then I think that  the fans are likely to stick with him  as did the majority did last season despite wretched results . I also think that the majority  also support  his "bumbling fumbling complete fool of a Dictator sugar daddy" . 

Lee's won nothing but is making good progress-  still no cigar. Yet.

8 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Losing six in a row wouldn't be an issue right atm for me , Leaning -It wasn't just the losing streak of eight or whatever (As one little keyboard Sneerer tried to explain it ) - it was the points return , the performances over 3/4 months and 20 odd games , a disharmonious dressing room and the constant tinkering and outing of players publicly causing more unrest and the b*****t surrounding Tomlin 

The whole package looks totally different atm and none of the above seem to apply  and fair play 

Last season LJ looked like a fish trying to drive a tractor , complete change all round this season

What now he looks like a tractor trying to drive a fish ? 

16 hours ago, richwwtk said:

Who were the people last season (and we all know that they were indeed out there, though I can't remember names) who talked about a boycott and not coming back until Lee Johnson was no longer manager of Bristol City?

Is there still anyone out there continuing with their boycott? Would be very interested to hear their view if they are.

TBF me, but it was maybe not ALL his fault, not been back since the E.E got chopped; not interested in the new ground although it looks better than many. Old age has also probably paid a big part as well, seems many more important things to do now.

Have great memories and some heart breaking ones over the prev 50 years, which saw me visit many away grounds. Still watch our live games on the box and see every goal on our highlights.

Never say never, may even get a oap ST one day, but probably just about done now as actual visits go. Hope we get to the top div again soon for those who missed it last time.

:tv_horror: :sub:

37 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

TBF me, but it was maybe not ALL his fault, not been back since the E.E got chopped; not interested in the new ground although it looks better than many.

If you haven’t been for about 4 years I think it’s a bit of a stretch for you to be as negative and outspoken as you are.

Highlights, radio commentary and the occasional Sky game don’t paint enough of a picture of the full context.

37 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Still watch our live games on the box and see every goal on our highlights.

34 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

TBF me, but it was maybe not ALL his fault, not been back since the E.E got chopped; not interested in the new ground although it looks better than many. Old age has also probably paid a big part as well, seems many more important things to do now.

Have great memories and some heart breaking ones over the prev 50 years, which saw me visit many away grounds. Still watch our live games on the box and see every goal on our highlights.

Never say never, may even get a oap ST one day, but probably just about done now as actual visits go. Hope we get to the top div again soon for those who missed it last time.

:tv_horror: :sub:

I stopped going for a few years after my son was born. I think once you've got out of the habit, other things do seem to become more important and you always find a reason why you can't go.

Started with a ST again last season, once my son was old enough to want to go, and now it seems the natural thing to do once more and I wonder why I ever stopped!

The ground has been done very well and is certainly a LOT better than most 'new' grounds I've visited, and whilst I miss the terrace days as well, they are never coming back.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If you haven’t been for about 4 years I think it’s a bit of a stretch for you to be as negative and outspoken as you are.

Highlights, radio commentary and the occasional Sky game don’t paint enough of a picture of the full context.

There have been other vociferous critics of the regime who have mentioned in passing that they haven't actually been to the ground in years!

7 minutes ago, Leveller said:

There have been other vociferous critics of the regime who have mentioned in passing that they haven't actually been to the ground in years!

I can understand people not going - and of course those people are entitled to an opinion.

In the instance of GOB though, he’s SO negative and reactionary I find it a bit unfair considering he hasn’t actually watched us for 4 years. How on earth is he going to actually know anything about the players? TV only shows you about 80% of what actually happens on the pitch.

21 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I can understand people not going - and of course those people are entitled to an opinion.

In the instance of GOB though, he’s SO negative and reactionary I find it a bit unfair considering he hasn’t actually watched us for 4 years. How on earth is he going to actually know anything about the players? TV only shows you about 80% of what actually happens on the pitch.

Then there are the ex pats. I very much applaud their following the team via the internet and understand they can't come over to see games. But complaining about the team based on listening to a radio commentary is stretching it, I think.

12 hours ago, Leaning To One Side said:

Just butting in here :P

I was a Johnson must go at the end of ‘that’ run last season.  Without going into full detail, because I’ve written enough, there were a few things that enabled Lee to move us forward from a bad position where relegation coukd seriously be seen on the horizon.  For me those things were a big of a chain reaction (dominos web! :whistle:):

• SL backing LJ and telling him it’s down to him to sort it out
  • LJ then having the balls to ostracise LT (the big problem that he previously failed to deal with that I think was at the root of much of the problem) from the starting line-up
  • LJ could then pick a team he wanted, that could play how he wanted (without the ego of LT - although I really disliked the 30 mins he got given as sub at the end of the season)
  • The players realising that good performances, high workrate would result in them keeping their place 

This has been taken into this season.

I might be being bloody stubborn, but I don’t think I was wrong at the time, and i’m not going to eat humble pie.  Something changed - SL’s backing.  I’m not sure I realised the significance at the time, and probably thought the Tomlin ejection from the team was the reason, but in fact that was step two.  LJ wouldn’t have done that without SL’s backing.  I can imagine LJ having a conversation with SL along the lines of:

SL - Lee, this is looking bad

LJ - I know, but i’m struggling with Tomlin.  You went out of a limb to bring him in on £20k per week and £2.5m transfer.  I said i’d Build a team around him, but i’ve realised it doesn’t work.

SL - yes, it was a lot of money, but if you’re saying leaving him out / moving him on in the summer is something that will preserve our Championship status, and your job with it, then actually it’s the right thing, and will actually cost us less in the long run.

LJ - I promise you Dad, Sorry, Uncle Steve it is the right thing.

SL - ok, right, you’re staying, i’ll tell everyone you are the right man, now go out there and tell Mark to start plans to move him on, and try to recoup as much as we can.  Don’t let me down!

Ok, no idea that is anything like what happened, but the SL backing was the turning point.

Despite wanting him gone, I still hoped he’d turn it around, and turning it around was based on him going back to his beliefs about the way he wanted to play.  He’d abandoned them!!!

We all had a laugh about the 442 PowerPoint, "Bomb Alley", the 3 Transfer Windows, etc, but in reality he has proved that he did understand the game.  That belief in the way he wanted us to play is bearing fruit.  Those of us that take an interest in the tactical side can see it, how it works, what players are required to play it.  Fans of Oldham and Barnsley pointed to similarities in the bad run.

You can’t argue with his love of City, so i’m pleased for him and Aden.

Now go on and make October great too.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just butting in here :P

I was a Johnson must go at the end of ‘that’ run last season.  Without going into full detail, because I’ve written enough, there were a few things that enabled Lee to move us forward from a bad position where relegation coukd seriously be seen on the horizon.  For me those things were a big of a chain reaction (dominos web! :whistle:):

• SL backing LJ and telling him it’s down to him to sort it out
  • LJ then having the balls to ostracise LT (the big problem that he previously failed to deal with that I think was at the root of much of the problem) from the starting line-up
  • LJ could then pick a team he wanted, that could play how he wanted (without the ego of LT - although I really disliked the 30 mins he got given as sub at the end of the season)
  • The players realising that good performances, high workrate would result in them keeping their place 

This has been taken into this season.

I might be being bloody stubborn, but I don’t think I was wrong at the time, and i’m not going to eat humble pie.  Something changed - SL’s backing.  I’m not sure I realised the significance at the time, and probably thought the Tomlin ejection from the team was the reason, but in fact that was step two.  LJ wouldn’t have done that without SL’s backing.  I can imagine LJ having a conversation with SL along the lines of:

SL - Lee, this is looking bad

LJ - I know, but i’m struggling with Tomlin.  You went out of a limb to bring him in on £20k per week and £2.5m transfer.  I said i’d Build a team around him, but i’ve realised it doesn’t work.

SL - yes, it was a lot of money, but if you’re saying leaving him out / moving him on in the summer is something that will preserve our Championship status, and your job with it, then actually it’s the right thing, and will actually cost us less in the long run.

LJ - I promise you Dad, Sorry, Uncle Steve it is the right thing.

SL - ok, right, you’re staying, i’ll tell everyone you are the right man, now go out there and tell Mark to start plans to move him on, and try to recoup as much as we can.  Don’t let me down!

Ok, no idea that is anything like what happened, but the SL backing was the turning point.

Despite wanting him gone, I still hoped he’d turn it around, and turning it around was based on him going back to his beliefs about the way he wanted to play.  He’d abandoned them!!!

We all had a laugh about the 442 PowerPoint, "Bomb Alley", the 3 Transfer Windows, etc, but in reality he has proved that he did understand the game.  That belief in the way he wanted us to play is bearing fruit.  Those of us that take an interest in the tactical side can see it, how it works, what players are required to play it.  Fans of Oldham and Barnsley pointed to similarities in the bad run.

You can’t argue with his love of City, so i’m pleased for him and Aden.

Now go on and make October great too.

I'm sure you're right here.

LT was clearly disrupting off the pitch, and on it too. 

I remember watching him closely in a game once and he was gesturing to everyone to come in tighter and to sit back. This at a time when we were getting overrun in games and sitting back far too much. I remember LJ saying at the time that he doesn't instruct the players to sit deep and now I believe that 'player power', led by one or maybe two, was dictating too much at times on the pitch.

Ultimately, SL standing by him in the biggest way possible would have filtered down to the players and the attitude of some changed very quickly. 

21 hours ago, richwwtk said:

Who were the people last season (and we all know that they were indeed out there, though I can't remember names) who talked about a boycott and not coming back until Lee Johnson was no longer manager of Bristol City?

Is there still anyone out there continuing with their boycott? Would be very interested to hear their view if they are.

Hi Rich, I didn't renew (for the 1st time in eons) as my own little protest and haven't been to a home game this season as I think the POTD prices are too high, I've been to most of the away games though. Work has also paid a part in my decision and I'll probably get a 1/2 season ticket if and when they're available.

My loss I guess but I've been true to my word. It does seem rather silly after our start but the decision was made last spring, when we were crap, so, unless I pay the obscene POTD prices, I'm stuck with it for now. 

LJ has had several periods of extremes with winning and losing runs. Whether it is due to extremes of confidence and then lack of is uncertain. What I have noticed is a great deal of crediting players and staff during good runs but then singling out individuals to blame during poor ones. Something that came over loud and clear from Barnsley where some players loved him and some allegedly hated him. I got the impression and it was only that, the players were not happy with their team mates being called out during that shocking run last season.

I wanted him out not because of the results more because of how he was handling the situation, there seemed little hope after the Preston debacle. Rumours of Wilbraham stepping in and cajoling and encouraging team mates thereafter were rife, no idea if that was the case, but something happened, unless it was simply the players realising some personal and professional pride.

I firmly believe the appointment of Jamie McAllister is a huge influence on the conclusion to last season and the start of this one. His organisational, motivational and determination are areas missing previously. I was impressed with him as a committed player and even more impressed with him now. A crucial appointment by LJ and thankfully brought in to the fold earlier than originally planned.

On Flinty, well what can one add to that already said. I'd like to share a quote by an Ipswich fan after last weeks superb win: 'Garner simply wasn't good enough to get better of flint Saturday, so fouled him every chance he got. That's nothing against garner, just totally outclassed '

11 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Really good question and here's my end of the spectrum :

I don't think LJ is the Messiah , I just believe he's a very young progressive coach with plenty of potential whilst still learning lessons. Lee's gonna continue his ups and downs but so long as his ( and that of his team's)  trajectory is upwards and people don't resort to inane and emotive comments such as he's "an incompetent clown" then I think that  the fans are likely to stick with him  as did the majority did last season despite wretched results . I also think that the majority  also support  his "bumbling fumbling complete fool of a Dictator sugar daddy" . 

Lee's won nothing but is making good progress-  still no cigar. Yet.

Agree with the overall sentiment, but think we are being a bit revisionist with the 'as did the majority last season'. For large periods that was true, but I think there was a tipping point where the 'average' fan thought it was time for a change. The last poll on here has something like 90% in favour of him going.

It is fair to say that I never really saw this boil up on match day in the ground, but think it was more to do with getting behind the team. Most were in hindsight wrong. I was one of them.

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Wrong but whatever mate, of course you are right, I know nothing about any of the players; not going to miss you a bit by the way.....

4 hours ago, Leveller said:

and ???? how dare we have an opinion

Archived