IGNORED

Games on Christmas eve (Merged)

Lrrr

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41533575

Reports that Sky are set to move up to 3 games to be played on Christmas eve, these being Arsenal vs Liverpool, Leicester City vs Manchester United and West Ham United vs Newcastle United. If a game is moved to Christmas eve it will be the first game played on that date for 22 years. Some reports are saying that Leicester could struggle to get the amount of stewards required while games held in London could put more unnecessary strain on the emergency services at a time when they're already busy.

I read somewhere if Arsenal vs Liverpool were put as a late kick off on that day there would be no public transport that would see away fans able to get back the same day. 

#ModernFootball :grr:  

15 minutes ago, RedDave said:

If people do not like it then dont go.  Xmas Eve is a time to spend with family in my house so i wouldnt go if it was City.  If crowds are low then it won't happen again 

Not just about that RedDave. what about the people that are expected to work at the grounds?

Making Ryanair sound like a caring company !!!

6 hours ago, RedDave said:

If people do not like it then dont go.  Xmas Eve is a time to spend with family in my house so i wouldnt go if it was City.  If crowds are low then it won't happen again 

Well its just that simple isn't it.:clap: Probably unaware but clubs like Liverpool and Man utd who will be travelling those days have a huge fanbase with away tickets in really high demand. They work away tickets in loyalty pots so fans who decide to ditch this game may not get to see another away game for all season. Also its just a huge inconvenience and complete lack of respect towards fans, not giving two hoots if they will get back for Christmas day. 

• Admin

The thing that still amazes me is that there used to be fixtures on Christmas day.... 

Assume sky will do their 10 games in 10 days thing again this year leading up to Christmas, if we're still flying at the top I'd fully expect our game at QPR to move to a different day /1 time

7 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Not just about that RedDave. what about the people that are expected to work at the grounds?

Making Ryanair sound like a caring company !!!

So it's ok to make people work on Bank Holidays (Boxing Day, New Years Day & Easter) but not ok to get them to work on a day that most people have too...?!

8 hours ago, hodge said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41533575

Reports that Sky are set to move up to 3 games to be played on Christmas eve, these being Arsenal vs Liverpool, Leicester City vs Manchester United and West Ham United vs Newcastle United. If a game is moved to Christmas eve it will be the first game played on that date for 22 years. Some reports are saying that Leicester could struggle to get the amount of stewards required while games held in London could put more unnecessary strain on the emergency services at a time when they're already busy.

I read somewhere if Arsenal vs Liverpool were put as a late kick off on that day there would be no public transport that would see away fans able to get back the same day. 

#ModernFootball :grr:  

Is is "modern football" or just trying to bring back some ideas from "Old football"..?!

A late kick off would be ridiculous!

1 hour ago, South Somerset Red said:

Well its just that simple isn't it.:clap: Probably unaware but clubs like Liverpool and Man utd who will be travelling those days have a huge fanbase with away tickets in really high demand. They work away tickets in loyalty pots so fans who decide to ditch this game may not get to see another away game for all season. Also its just a huge inconvenience and complete lack of respect towards fans, not giving two hoots if they will get back for Christmas day. 

I couldn`t give two shits about Liverpool and Man Utd fans....glory hunting arsewipes, most of `em.

3 minutes ago, South Somerset Red said:

Neither could i but its the fact that they don't even take into consideration what fans as a whole have to give up just so they can make a football christmas wankfest. Can see the cringey montages now.

I agree. Just hard to summon up any sympathy for that mob of tossers! ;)

I don't mind the idea at all. I'm a big US sports fan and the Christmas day games they have get huge audiences. What else do you do before and after you've eaten anyway? Just sit around watching TV... Why not have that TV have sports on it? 

15 minutes ago, Robin TBW said:

I don't mind the idea at all. I'm a big US sports fan and the Christmas day games they have get huge audiences. What else do you do before and after you've eaten anyway? Just sit around watching TV... Why not have that TV have sports on it? 

FFS! Football isn't a TV show!!

I'm not even that keen on Boxing Day games if I'm honest, after all the fuss and faff for Xmas Eve/day I'd rather just chill out. However if it's at home I won't miss it, so I'll be there for the Reading game.

But there is no way in hell I'd go to a game on Xmas Eve.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

The thing that still amazes me is that there used to be fixtures on Christmas day.... 

Assume sky will do their 10 games in 10 days thing again this year leading up to Christmas, if we're still flying at the top I'd fully expect our game at QPR to move to a different day /1 time

What a cracking idea. One or two sherberts, watch the City and come home to a massive roast dinner a few more drinks and wake up boxing day when all the fuss is over with.

As Sir Alex said many years ago on fixtures being moved........If you drink with the devil.........

If these games are switched it would be interesting to see what the viewing figures are,my suspicion is that they would be quite healthy  and therefore a precedent would be set.

It is utterly ridiculous that the TV fan gets preference over those that actually go to games.

13 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

As Sir Alex said many years ago on fixtures being moved........If you drink with the devil.........

If these games are switched it would be interesting to see what the viewing figures are,my suspicion is that they would be quite healthy  and therefore a precedent would be set.

It is utterly ridiculous that the TV fan gets preference over those that actually go to games.

Not to Sky it isn`t sadly.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Not really, in those days football was seen as live entertainment for the masses and fixtures would be arranged for times when the most people would be able to attend.

Very few people worked on Christmas Day so it was an ideal day for a match, and saw very large attendances.

Are people forgetting the meaning of Xmas? Have people lost touch with the spirit of that first Xmas 2000 years ago?

Let me remind you then. There was a local derby being played between Bethlehem and Nazareth that night. That's why there was no room at any Inn in town and Mary and Joseph had to decamp in a stable...they wouldn't have even had that available had Cardiff been the visitors! Doesn't anyone remember about the three wise men drawn to the match by following the illumination of the floodlights?

So well done Sky, bring it on. Make Sir Rupert Lord Sir Rupert.

3 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

That bloke Bob Cratchit who works for you loves it. Hope his little lad's OK, I heard he was poorly.

I feel really sorry for Scrooge. After all, he became a reformed character and nobody, thereafter, celebrated Xmas with as much bonhomie as Ebenezer. Little Tim became better thanks to the generous benefaction of that bloke. Yet everyone still quotes him in terms of being a misery guts at Xmas and being tight with his wad. 

It's rather like if Steve Lansdown refused to buy a round of drinks 40 years ago then subsequently built a new stadium for Bristol City and spent mega millions on players etc and his name just being synonymous with being a miserable tightwad.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The first fixture I look for when they're released is Boxing Day. I love going to AG the day after stuffing myself with all the Xmas goodies. The fresh air and taking in a match at home is the perfect antidote.

Xmas Eve? Not for me thanks. 

First game of the season is the one I look for first. 

Archived