IGNORED

Games on Christmas eve (Merged)

Lrrr

So, @RedDave the day after it is announced that the top 6 will seek more of the TV money, you are telling me clubs will rally together to stop Christmas eve games? Seriously?

Here's what'll happen:

1) **** all
2) See 1

What do you expect them to do? Refuse TV money? Do you understand how much these sides get from Sky, BT and the likes? There might be the odd small club like Huddersfield coming out in protest as a PR stunt until they're told to be quiet. Sky have full control. They can move any game they see fit, to any day, providing it gets police approval - they certainly wont be rejecting it (unless it was in Bristol of course). The police and security contracts are huge. They really won't mind.

There is no chance sides like United, Arsenal, Liverpool etc will kick up a fuss - they'll moan about the fixture congestion, but they do that every year.

Money talks. Remember that vote to add U21 clubs to the JPT? Lots of protest. Vote came around, few threats from the big boys and would you look at that, it was approved. Attendances were shocking. AWFUL. Talks happened end of season; clubs happy for it to continue.

It is the way football is going. I don't agree with it, but it's heading there. Before we know it we'll be like the NBA, games all through Christmas day.

Football is ran by money and tv.

A shame

24 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

So, @RedDave the day after it is announced that the top 6 will seek more of the TV money, you are telling me clubs will rally together to stop Christmas eve games? Seriously?

Here's what'll happen:

1) **** all
2) See 1

What do you expect them to do? Refuse TV money? Do you understand how much these sides get from Sky, BT and the likes? There might be the odd small club like Huddersfield coming out in protest as a PR stunt until they're told to be quiet. Sky have full control. They can move any game they see fit, to any day, providing it gets police approval - they certainly wont be rejecting it (unless it was in Bristol of course). The police and security contracts are huge. They really won't mind.

There is no chance sides like United, Arsenal, Liverpool etc will kick up a fuss - they'll moan about the fixture congestion, but they do that every year.

Money talks. Remember that vote to add U21 clubs to the JPT? Lots of protest. Vote came around, few threats from the big boys and would you look at that, it was approved. Attendances were shocking. AWFUL. Talks happened end of season; clubs happy for it to continue.

It is the way football is going. I don't agree with it, but it's heading there. Before we know it we'll be like the NBA, games all through Christmas day.

Football is ran by money and tv.

A shame

That is me taught.  Thank you oh passive aggressive One!

7 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

That bloke Bob Cratchit who works for you loves it. Hope his little lad's OK, I heard he was poorly.

Santa isn't real you know and he doesn't come down my chimney. I don't need to be told by the comerial system when and how to have a good time. Someone on here said Christmas Eve is a time to spend with your family. That made I larf. 

1 hour ago, swanker said:

Santa isn't real you know and he doesn't come down my chimney. I don't need to be told by the comerial system when and how to have a good time. Someone on here said Christmas Eve is a time to spend with your family. That made I larf. 

I have literally no idea quite how I'm supposed to take this reply!

Dry sarcasm or actually a Scrooge? Can't decide.

6 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not really, in those days football was seen as live entertainment for the masses and fixtures would be arranged for times when the most people would be able to attend.

Very few people worked on Christmas Day so it was an ideal day for a match, and saw very large attendances.

The last Xmas day game was in 1976!  Not that long ago really

8 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

The last Xmas day game was in 1976!  Not that long ago really

I'm sure I remember City v Plymouth one day, and away at Portsmouth the next. I got home from the Plymouth game and phoned the club to see if there were still any places available on the football special the next day. Spoke directly to Tony Rance iirc.

Also home to Charlton after playing the previous day, both of these would have been in the early/mid '70's.

Don't think any of the games were actually on Christmas Day though.

It would be interesting to know when and who City last played on Christmas Day, particularly at AG.

10 hours ago, phantom said:

The thing that still amazes me is that there used to be fixtures on Christmas day.... 

1958 was the last time City played on Christmas Day, a 2-1 defeat at Derby. Those fixtures were stopped out of consideration for players, officials and gasp shock horror, the supporters.

18 hours ago, RedDave said:

If people do not like it then dont go.  Xmas Eve is a time to spend with family in my house so i wouldnt go if it was City.  If crowds are low then it won't happen again 

Doubt it.

That would suit Sky perfectly as people would be watching at home.

Big viewing numbers gives them a reason to do it again.

5 hours ago, oldrosie said:

There is a very simply solution .... ditch your Sky Sports subscription .... it's happening and Sky are running scared hence their change to the various sports packages.  BT can offer the Premiership plus the top non league games plus rugby plus that awful league that the top teams compete in ... at the end of the day, the consumer is king ... 

Sky and BT subscriptions are falling however the reason is not that people don't want to watch games on TV, it's about the cost and they are turning to ' illegal' streaming.

Guess who is behind all the noise about that and the prosecutions................

10 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Are people forgetting the meaning of Xmas? Have people lost touch with the spirit of that first Xmas 2000 years ago?

Let me remind you then. There was a local derby being played between Bethlehem and Nazareth that night. That's why there was no room at any Inn in town and Mary and Joseph had to decamp in a stable...they wouldn't have even had that available had Cardiff been the visitors! Doesn't anyone remember about the three wise men drawn to the match by following the illumination of the floodlights?

So well done Sky, bring it on. Make Sir Rupert Lord Sir Rupert.

Joseph must have been gullible, believing that story of the Holy Spirit giving her one bareback.

23 hours ago, weepywall said:

Sky won't worry about attendances or travel, they would prefer empty stadiums and everybody watching on tv.

Not really. Piped cheering and card board fans is a big turn off for the arm chair fan. "Can you carve the turkey love?"... Instead of a moan becomes.. "of course sweetheart, thought you'd never ask".

Only fans have a right to moan not the players or management... They all get paid so much they should work every single day I reckon, get totally burnt out, all get injured and then we can have a bit of piece and quiet for a year or three. Marvellous.

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Not really. Piped cheering and card board fans is a big turn off for the arm chair fan. "Can you carve the turkey love?"... Instead of a moan becomes.. "of course sweetheart, thought you'd never ask".

Only fans have a right to moan not the players or management... They all get paid so much they should work every single day I reckon, get totally burnt out, all get injured and then we can have a bit of piece and quiet for a year or three. Marvellous.

........ Christmas Eve, eh?

ANOTHER excuse for the Match Thread being late.

FFS.

:punish:

tfj

23 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Are people forgetting the meaning of Xmas? Have people lost touch with the spirit of that first Xmas 2000 years ago?

Let me remind you then. There was a local derby being played between Bethlehem and Nazareth that night. That's why there was no room at any Inn in town and Mary and Joseph had to decamp in a stable...they wouldn't have even had that available had Cardiff been the visitors! Doesn't anyone remember about the three wise men drawn to the match by following the illumination of the floodlights?

So well done Sky, bring it on. Make Sir Rupert Lord Sir Rupert.

Don't forget the 15,000 Gasheads locked out of the stables. There was room, but they didn't trust them with the Horses.

• Admin

in relation to Christmas period

The FSF have just held a meeting with Peter Scudamore he has agreed:

That there will be NO 4pm or later kick off on Christmas Eve

That there will be NO PL TV kick offs on Sunday morning or evenings

There will be more midweek and Bank Holiday games instead

There will be multiple TV games instead

(December PL TV picks will be announced on Thursday 19th October, but Xmas Eve games and beyond will be announced a week later)

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

(December PL TV picks will be announced on Thursday 19th October, but Xmas Eve games and beyond will be announced a week later)

Whose ready for 15:59 kick offs :ph34r:

11 minutes ago, phantom said:

in relation to Christmas period

About a month ago I was only half listening to the radio but there were Liverpool fans ringing up complaining they had to play away at Arsenal on Xmas Eve, I think they were saying it was a tea time KO. It didn't occur to me that the Sky fixtures hadn't been settled then so I forgot this until I saw your post. I just checked and they are down as playing on 23rd Dec at 3pm, so either it was a rumour that their game would be moved or they know something,  we will wait and see. 

I don't think it's a problem having Xmas Eve fixtures, but sort it out with the Premier League at the start of the season and have derby games, or at the very least between teams less than an hour apart. Trying to get back to Liverpool after 6pm on Xmas eve would be a nightmare 

46 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

I don't think it's a problem having Xmas Eve fixtures, but sort it out with the Premier League at the start of the season and have derby games, or at the very least between teams less than an hour apart. Trying to get back to Liverpool after 6pm on Xmas eve would be a nightmare 

Towns and Cities will be a complete mess with it being a day most go out and get pissed! Police would never allow it.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Towns and Cities will be a complete mess with it being a day most go out and get pissed! Police would never allow it.

You reckon? Strikes me there was far more of a general -and football - drinking culture 40 - 50 years ago, or whenever there were last Christmas fixtures.

Have you seen how many pubs Bristol used to have?

A few go out and get pissed at the football these days, in the 70's for instance, I'd say a large percentage were fairly pissed on arrival at AG.

These days apparently about 30% of 16- 24 year olds are tee total, unheard of in my day.

19 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

A few go out and get pissed at the football these days, in the 70's for instance, I'd say a large percentage were fairly pissed on arrival at AG.

In the early 70s we were usually just pissed off on leaving AG.

Archived