IGNORED

Morrell

Charlie BCFC

4 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Leave him at Cheltenham to get 30/40+ games under his belt. The Championship is a huge step up.

Totally agree. He's 20 now. Just hasn't kicked on . Hopefully this will aid him. Bobby Reid has only started to show his ability. So won't write him off. But no way is he ready for our first team. 

5 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Totally agree. He's 20 now. Just hasn't kicked on . Hopefully this will aid him. Bobby Reid has only started to show his ability. So won't write him off. But no way is he ready for our first team. 

He is doing very well at Cheltenham, best player so far. Exactly what the boy needs, experience, confidence and local to home. I would extend until the end of the season. 

Amazing how LJ said in an interview recently that nobody even in the conference was willing to take him on loan, and that he needed to plead with his father to take him and give him games because he believed in him that much! Just goes to show it's not just Lee helping Gary it's the other way round as well!

Was going to put this in the loan watch thread but... He certainly seems to have the ability to play for the whole game., he provided the free kick that led to the very late winner.

He was brought down for a penalty which was missed, and looking at the BBC live text was involved throughout the second half.

I've not seen him play loads but he definitely has potential to play in the championship. I think he could be a step up on Korey Smith one day. 

That said, it's one day and not in January. Idk maybe he plays well next summer and is kept around as we are light on central midfielders a bit but I'd hope he plays well all season at Cheltenham then secures a good L1 loan next season. Say he went that route, he'd be 22 with almost 100 games in the league under his belt. Much more first team ready. 

Though maybe, just maybe, he is playing well enough to get a loan to a L1 club in January. I'm not sure he can as he's played for us and Cheltenham already. Think you can play for 3 clubs in a season? But yea, if he's still excelling at Cheltenham maybe see if L1 suitors. Think people see a small guy in Joe morrell and doubt him but he's got quality and a toughness about him despite his size. 

13 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I've not seen him play loads but he definitely has potential to play in the championship. I think he could be a step up on Korey Smith one day. 

That said, it's one day and not in January. Idk maybe he plays well next summer and is kept around as we are light on central midfielders a bit but I'd hope he plays well all season at Cheltenham then secures a good L1 loan next season. Say he went that route, he'd be 22 with almost 100 games in the league under his belt. Much more first team ready. 

Though maybe, just maybe, he is playing well enough to get a loan to a L1 club in January. I'm not sure he can as he's played for us and Cheltenham already. Think you can play for 3 clubs in a season? But yea, if he's still excelling at Cheltenham maybe see if L1 suitors. Think people see a small guy in Joe morrell and doubt him but he's got quality and a toughness about him despite his size. 

Is he bigger than  Bannan ? 

I think we need to lose the attitude of hes too young/its a big step up/hes only playing for Cheltenham etc.

Spalding/Ian wright/Vardey etc more than made the huge step up.

The loan system is unfortunate for everyone imho.

If we can guarantee safety in the old system we could have recalled him and given him some time around the first team, he certainly sounds like the midfielder we need.

Smith and Brownhill are a big reason we are where we are however, Morrell is another option in an area we are a little light.

Id imagine if Morrell can keep on improving that him and Brownhill would make one hell of a partnership, Reid would not be short of ammunition to score with, not that he isn't at the moment, we are definitely not only playing some exhilarating football but also creating lots of chances and we have some fantastic options on the bench.

Edit: Isn't Leko 2 years younger than Morrell with far less experience?

On 07/10/2017 at 21:57, Bcfc24 said:

Amazing how LJ said in an interview recently that nobody even in the conference was willing to take him on loan, and that he needed to plead with his father to take him and give him games because he believed in him that much! Just goes to show it's not just Lee helping Gary it's the other way round as well!

I saw that too. I was surprised, a player from a Championship club can't get a loan, anywhere? I would have thought clubs would be jumping at the chance? Can't be wages, lack of experience perhaps but he must have something about him being from a club at this level surely? 

With O'Neil out we only have 3 central midfielders. Either we have to sign someone in January or get Morrell back. He made his first team debut four years ago and is 20 now so deserves his chance. At least he could play in cup matches to give the others a break, by all accounts he's been one of the outstanding Academy prospects for some time.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I saw that too. I was surprised, a player from a Championship club can't get a loan, anywhere? I would have thought clubs would be jumping at the chance? Can't be wages, lack of experience perhaps but he must have something about him being from a club at this level surely? 

I suspect his substitute only short stint at Sutton United (Conference National) which wasn't renewed and his somewhat unsuccessful loan at Margate (Conference South) was a bit of a black cloud hanging over him for any potential loan clubs...

4 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

I suspect his substitute only short stint at Sutton United (Conference National) which wasn't renewed and his somewhat unsuccessful loan at Margate (Conference South) was a bit of a black cloud hanging over him for any potential loan clubs...

I just admit I didn't know that, not followed his career that closely but I recognise his name as I'm sure I've seen him in a couple of  reserve type games going back a bit. I guess like Bobby he's a bit of a slow burner but has potential. I was just surprised though that it was hard to find him game time anywhere.

I saw a lot of Joe Morrell when he was playing for the academy and he always stood out.

He's always trying to get on the ball and, deceptively,  always seemed to run quicker with the ball than without it.

He also looked as though he had goals in him.

Of all the players I saw at the time he was the one that I thought would make it, I was very surprised  that his career seemed to dip a little a while back but hopefully he can use this loan period to really "push on" now

Being given an opportunity was all JM needed. GJ has done us & the player a massive favour here especially after unsuccessful Conference loans.

Joe's has always been technically good, has the ability to control/dictate a game but always been on the small side. He has added a tenacious side to his game and he's better for it.

The first thing LJ done went appointed was to convince JM's parents the kids has a future here.

He played left mid Sat v Swindon and hardly got a touch until GJ on 70 mins went back to 4 3 3 moved Joe central and was then involved in everything for the last 20 mins. His confidence is sky high at the minute & rightly so.

2 hours ago, redcherryberry said:

Being given an opportunity was all JM needed. GJ has done us & the player a massive favour here especially after unsuccessful Conference loans.

Joe's has always been technically good, has the ability to control/dictate a game but always been on the small side. He has added a tenacious side to his game and he's better for it.

The first thing LJ done went appointed was to convince JM's parents the kids has a future here.

He played left mid Sat v Swindon and hardly got a touch until GJ on 70 mins went back to 4 3 3 moved Joe central and was then involved in everything for the last 20 mins. His confidence is sky high at the minute & rightly so.

Sounds like he genuinely believes in him, that's really nice to hear. I hope he does have a future though, he's always impressed me when i've seen him and he's looked like a very mature footballer for as long as i can remember. I'm gonna have to watch more of Cheltenham now!

8 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

FIFA 18 ? 

What exactly are you on about?

8 hours ago, GrahamC said:

We don't.

Smith, Pack, Brownhill & Hegeler =4.

As for the Leko comment, he has made a dozen appearances in the Prem, prior to this loan Joe had made zero league appearances so that isn't correct.

Hegeler isn’t a midfielder and has never played well there would consider him more of a defender. I would bring back Morrell and give him an opportunity. Also Sessegnon was thrown in to the team at 16 and look at him now. No reason why Morrell can’t have a chance at this level.

14 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

What exactly are you on about?

Hegeler isn’t a midfielder and has never played well there would consider him more of a defender. I would bring back Morrell and give him an opportunity. Also Sessegnon was thrown in to the team at 16 and look at him now. No reason why Morrell can’t have a chance at this level.

I'm pretty sure he has played most of his career in midfield. Also comparing to other young players isn't helpful. Players are ready when there ready. He has already gone from not playing in conference to being a regular + key player in league 2. I don't think our midfield is so dire that we need to rush and take a risk on Morrell (potentially damaging his confidence and in all probability not playing every game like he is now). Also whilst he is doing amazingly well he is also not so spectacularly brilliant that we have to bring him back now. 

I don't think we need to be in such a rush, let him get regular men's football for a season then get pre season with us and assess things from there. 

Archived