IGNORED

Eternally funny comedy shows .

Major Isewater

4 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

OFAH will always be the greatest comedy series ever written. Lee Macks Not Going Out doesn't get enough recognition, and I believe it's one of the last old school types of comedy today.

Depending on the mood, The Royal Family is a great comedy show to sit down to, and enjoy. I think everyone can relate to the family antics.

Never understood how people enjoy Miranda, possibly the worst comedy show of all time. How that got aired, I do not know.

Agree with all of that pretty much 100%.

Never have understood how that woman can be seen as "funny" when all they do is play on the fact that she's so gormless looking. To me its as popular as it is/was (Don't know if it's still running) due to people thinking they should watch it.  In 20 years time you won't be talking about it, whereas stuff like OFAH, Fawlty Towers, Porridge, are all still running and are still popular. You also have different generations of audiences watching them, as some of the story lines (Only Fools especially) are still current to this day.

5 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

OFAH will always be the greatest comedy series ever written. Lee Macks Not Going Out doesn't get enough recognition, and I believe it's one of the last old school types of comedy today.

Depending on the mood, The Royal Family is a great comedy show to sit down to, and enjoy. I think everyone can relate to the family antics.

Never understood how people enjoy Miranda, possibly the worst comedy show of all time. How that got aired, I do not know.

Raise you Mrs Brown`s Boys. 

That truly is an Hors Category of awfulness - it simply is beyond classification.

Tbh the late 60s was an excellent era for comedy, raise that through to the early 80s.

• Only Fools and Horses
  • Fawlty Towers
  • Dad's Army
  • Porridge
  • Steptoe and Son

5 rather decent ones right there. Father Ted though early-mid 90s was not too bad either oh and I forgot One Foot in the Grave which was 90s! IMO. Modern stuff has a lot of rubbish- and especially modern remakes (I'm looking at you Porridge and Open All Hours) of the stuff back then.

1 hour ago, Taz said:

Agree with all of that pretty much 100%.

Never have understood how that woman can be seen as "funny" when all they do is play on the fact that she's so gormless looking. To me its as popular as it is/was (Don't know if it's still running) due to people thinking they should watch it.  In 20 years time you won't be talking about it, whereas stuff like OFAH, Fawlty Towers, Porridge, are all still running and are still popular. You also have different generations of audiences watching them, as some of the story lines (Only Fools especially) are still current to this day.

If the series was reversed and was played by a man, it wouldn't get the green light. The characters are unfunny, and there isn't one piece of creative writing. Plus, that blonde birds impression of Heather Small is absolutely boring. 

43 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Raise you Mrs Brown`s Boys. 

That truly is an Hors Category of awfulness - it simply is beyond classification.

Mrs Brown's Boys... awful but still doesn't get ahead of Miranda. Mrs Brown's Boys relies on the world **** to draw laughs, which aren't even funny. Kind of like American comedy, which relies on either sex jokes, or swearing.

33 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Yank shows Friends always mahes me laugh(yes, I don't know why either).

Love VEEP and Curb, but could never get into Seinfeld !

And one of the best.............The Larry Sanders Show (and yet, not so much the Garry Shandling Show ,odd).

The other way around for me.

Of modern US shows, VEEP is up there with the best.

1 hour ago, Red_Wizard said:

If the series was reversed and was played by a man, it wouldn't get the green light. The characters are unfunny, and there isn't one piece of creative writing. Plus, that blonde birds impression of Heather Small is absolutely boring. 

Mrs Brown's Boys... awful but still doesn't get ahead of Miranda. Mrs Brown's Boys relies on the world **** to draw laughs, which aren't even funny. Kind of like American comedy, which relies on either sex jokes, or swearing.

We`ll have to agree to differ I think. If Miranda`s on I find I can just ignore it and get on with something else. No chance of that with Mrs Brown`s Boys, it just assaults all the senses and makes me want to put the telly in.

2 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

So a bit like Father Ted then ?

Historically, apart from the ones already mentioned, I used to cry with laughter at 'Married with children'. It was a beacon in times of shockingly bad American sitcoms that were terrible. The fact it wasn't a huge success in the US yet had a following here says to me it appealed more to our sense of humour than theirs but I thought it was hilarious.

As for the best, it has to be OFAH. After nigh on 40 years, even though you know what's coming, you still laugh at it. The fact that the actor who played Slater was supposed to be Del boy, David Jason was supposed to be Trigger and Roger Lloyd Pack just happened to be in a studio next door so helped out by reading Trigger to make up the numbers at a read through just adds to the legend of the show. For me, it's miles clear of anything, absolutely miles clear!

Watched an episode of OFAH a couple of weeks ago, still genuinely laugh out loud funny.

I still get up early on Saturday and Sunday just to watch Frasier.

Blackadder, Father Ted, Fawlty Towers, some Red Dwarf is still funny; the older 70's stuff - not so much.

Of the more modern classics, I adore the IT Crowd and Peep Show.

Currently watching VEEP from start to finish for the EIGHTH time, will surely be looked upon as Armando Ianucci's finest works in years to come. Every character is deliciously vicious, yet damaged and vulnerable at the same time - a work of absolute genius. 

Unfortunately, next series will be the last(for obvious reasons), and hopefully Julia makes a speedy recovery so that it doesn't delay its release.

On 09/10/2017 at 15:48, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tbh the late 60s was an excellent era for comedy, raise that through to the early 80s.

• Only Fools and Horses
  • Fawlty Towers
  • Dad's Army
  • Porridge
  • Steptoe and Son

5 rather decent ones right there. Father Ted though early-mid 90s was not too bad either oh and I forgot One Foot in the Grave which was 90s! IMO. Modern stuff has a lot of rubbish- and especially modern remakes (I'm looking at you Porridge and Open All Hours) of the stuff back then.

Absolute shouts. Not enjoying the remakes either or rehashes (The Green Green Grass with Boycie and Marlene - yawn).

Would add Outnumbered. The middle son is a beautiful character. 

Tinhat on but I still love Goodnight Sweetheart and Keeping up appearances. Oh and Allo allo and Hi-De-Hi

Meet the gang cos the boys are here

The boys to entertain you

With music and laughter to see you on your way

To raising the rafters with a hey hey hey

With songs and sketches and jokes old and new

With us about you won't feel blue

So meet the gang cos the boys are here

Bo

Boys

Boys to entertain you....

"Lovely boys... ''  

'' Gunner Lah-DeDah Graham ''

"move yourselves, move yourselves!''

...thank you very much..

I thank you. :) 

19 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Meet the gang cos the boys are here

With music and laughter to see you on your way

To raising the rafters with a hey hey hey

With songs and sketches and jokes old and new

With us about you won't feel blue

So meet the gang cos the boys are here

Bo

Boys

Boys to entertain you....

"Lovely boys... ''  

'' Gunner Lah-DeDah Graham ''

"move yourselves, move yourselves!''

...thank you very much..

I thank you. :) 

You Is  A Bunch Of Poofs! A Bunch Of Poofs, You Is!

On 10/11/2017 at 18:20, Offside said:

Blackadder for me. Wonderfully written and acted and still makes me laugh.

Yep; the put downs are in a league of their own !

"Yes (Colonel Flasheart); give the average Tommy the choice of meeting you, and the man who cleans the public conveniences in Aberdeen, then Wee Jock Poo Pong Mc Plop comes out a winner every time !

5 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Veep is excellent.

Written by Armando Ianucci. I don`t think that bloke is capable of writing anything that isn`t funny.

His new film - Death Of Stalin - is out on Friday and looks to be excellent. A bit of a Carry On Up The Kremlin by all accounts.

Of course, Armando Ianucci created The Thick of It too, so it was essentially the Brtitish predecessor of Veep.

I never really found OFaH funny, but I do love One Foot in the Grave though, thats still laugh out loud comedy to me, I'd rate that as my fave sitcom. I also loved Harry Enfield and Goodness Gracious Me too.

I also cannot stand Fawlty Towers either. Red Dwarf is a bit hit and miss. I found Friends funny, as well as Married with Children.

I enjoyed watching Father Ted although was only amusing at best.

Bottom is also another one I cannot simply stand as well, not even remotely funny for me in the slightest.

My Family is also another TV sitcom I enjoyed very much as well as Tim Vine and Lee Mack's Not Going Out.

I hate Fraiser, hate Curb Your Enthusiasm, hate Senfield, hate Everybody Loves Raymond.

Other shows I watched were Keeping Up Appearances, An Idiot Abroad, Family Guy (only the earlier seasons, the later ones are complete crap), The IT Crowd, Home Improvement, The Fast Show, Steptoe and Son and more that I cant remember right now.

On 10/12/2017 at 22:46, The Gasbuster said:

Yep; the put downs are in a league of their own !

"Yes (Colonel Flasheart); give the average Tommy the choice of meeting you, and the man who cleans the public conveniences in Aberdeen, then Wee Jock Poo Pong Mc Plop comes out a winner every time !

Love Blackadder. Watched the episode last night when he fell in love with 'Bob'.  Doctor - " It isn't every day a man wakes up to discover he's a screaming bender" !!

One of my favourites, which very few people I know used to watch at the time was Early Doors - Eddie was a great character.

early_doors_eddie.jpg.246610a793bcbdbc32eb2ebfc4c22ebd.jpg

Archived