IGNORED

Unlucky Scotland

kevthered

47 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Rubbish - they produced Gerry Gow, Kenny Dalglish, Graeme Souness, Alan Hansen, Joe Jordan, John Wark, Jimmy Johnstone, Jim Baxter, John Greig, Davie Cooper, Denis Law, Billy Bremner, Eddie Gray, Richard Gough, Archie Gemmill, Brian McClair, Gordon McQueen, Willie Miller, John Robertson, Paul Hartley, Gerry Sweeney, Donnie Gillies, John Shaw....etc etc etc!

And it's home to the mighty Jags from Maryhill!

Scotland qualified for consecutive World Cup tournaments aplenty - whilst England floundered and didn't actually qualify for a tournament from 1962 to 1982 (qualified as hosts in 1966,  qualified as holders in 1970, did not qualify in 1974 or 1978) the Scots were at the World Cups of 1954, 1958, 1974, 1978, 1982, 1986, 1990, 1998....great achievements by a country with a population of just 5 million people - way less than London....

And a certain Tom Ritchie....

Not to mention Dave Mackay and, Well, the list is endless and what a shame it seems gradually to be drying up.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Rubbish - they produced Gerry Gow, Kenny Dalglish, Graeme Souness, Alan Hansen, Joe Jordan, John Wark, Jimmy Johnstone, Jim Baxter, John Greig, Davie Cooper, Denis Law, Billy Bremner, Eddie Gray, Richard Gough, Archie Gemmill, Brian McClair, Gordon McQueen, Willie Miller, John Robertson, Paul Hartley, Gerry Sweeney, Donnie Gillies, John Shaw....etc etc etc!

Scotland qualified for consecutive World Cup tournaments aplenty - whilst England floundered and didn't actually qualify for a tournament from 1962 to 1982 (qualified as hosts in 1966,  qualified as holders in 1970, did not qualify in 1974 or 1978) the Scots were at the World Cups of 1954, 1958, 1974, 1978, 1982, 1986, 1990, 1998....great achievements by a country with a population of just 5 million people - way less than London....

Not to mention (arguably) the greatest football manager we've ever seen.

52 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I've absolutely nothing against Scotland Paul but many of their fans have ABE (Anyone But England) syndrome and it's them I'm laughing at right now. 

Andy Murray, I'm laughing at you in your Argentina shirt a few years ago! :shifty:

To an extent the ABE thing is true but it was never a majority, I was born and bred - hence the user name obviously - but having lived here for the majority of my life I cannot comment on how things are up there now.

Just to be clear I am anything but ABE, but in a footballing sense neither country has anything to be proud about nowadays.

The jibe at Andy Murray is a bit rich and also completely untrue.

Its a totally different sport however there is a very strong argument that Murray is the best INDIVIDUAL UK sportsman of all time.

Amazing really that in the 60s they would give the players who played for English clubs a hard time because they played for a English club

Now a lot of the Scotland squad was born in England and qualify through grandparents.

How times have changed

14 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

To an extent the ABE thing is true but it was never a majority, I was born and bred - hence the user name obviously - but having lived here for the majority of my life I cannot comment on how things are up there now.

Just to be clear I am anything but ABE, but in a footballing sense neither country has anything to be proud about nowadays.

Its a totally different sport however there is a very strong argument that Murray is the best INDIVIDUAL UK sportsman of all time.

Fair comment Scottish red and I agree Murray is certainly up there but I do remember seeing him in the shirt of whoever England were playing at the time. Maybe it was a photoshop job, I don't know.

It's not like England will get too far anyway unless we bore our opponents into submission.

Why?

Because I have worked with a lot of welsh and they gave me a hard time being English and in my work they tried to trip me up whenever they could (I worked in Cardiff for 1 year) and I considered it racist and loathed them afterwards ...However the Irish I have met have always been good to know so I prefer Ireland to win

9 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Fair comment Scottish red and I agree Murray is certainly up there but I do remember seeing him in the shirt of whoever England were playing at the time. Maybe it was a photoshop job, I don't know.

It's not like England will get too far anyway unless we bore our opponents into submission.

He was wearing a Paraguay shirt at the time and was asked why, he said because "I'm Scottish and would support anyone England is playing".....He later backtracked after the backlash and said he was joking and has apologised several times since and regularly saying it was a big mistake blaming the press for blowing it out of proportion and saying he was just 18 and a kid at the time

52 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Have a listen to Sturgeon and Salmon it might help you get a clue on how things are up there now. 

1 hour ago, Distortia said:

Not to mention (arguably) the greatest football manager we've ever seen.

McInnes?

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You've accidentally missed out Ian Baird.

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I've absolutely nothing against Scotland Paul but many of their fans have ABE (Anyone But England) syndrome and it's them I'm laughing at right now. 

Andy Murray, I'm laughing at you in your Argentina shirt a few years ago! :shifty:

Absolutely right, almost every scot would support the other team playing England, I find it a compliment really. generally most English people are not as small minded and want the home nations to be in tournaments as it makes them more interesting. 

Was not even aware Scotland were involved today until catching the end of commentary up by the coast this evening.     Just managed the closing stages before it was over and initial reaction was one of indifference, but in retrospect you have to feel a level of sympathy for them.

Ok, how many Scots would even travel to Russia if their team had qualified ?   The 'Tartan Army' and their journeys has been well documented, but I could only envisage a small number making the trip over even if they had of made it through qualifying.  In truth, we'll never know.

Speaking of which I don't think many nations will take all that many of their fans to Russia, the country was a poor choice for a venue - if not suspicious - but what's done is done, just don't tell me this upcoming event will cause a great level of enthralment,  (then) after that it's Qatar, no wonder people are losing interest.

One last mention before Scotland go by the wayside, the team they've possessed in years before has been good enough to challenge, but they haven't seem to have had the right mentality or desire to progress as they should.    I look at past players including Jim Baxter, John White, Dave MacKay, Dalglish, Law, Graeme Souness etc, names good enough to get in any team, but when the time mattered a collection of misfortune and inability proved their downfall.      Sorry again they were unable to qualify, nothing disingenuous, I wish now they had been one of the participants next summer.     Good for the British Isles if nothing else, we need more home nations involved at competitions of this nature.

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

I'm talking about modern day Scottish football - shite.

SPL - two horse race...............every season. Except when Rangers were relegated thru financial "irregularities". Then it was a one horse race............:facepalm:

You mean two horse race between Celtic and Aberdeen? Rangers haven't finished second for years and will struggle to topple Aberdeen this season either.

9 hours ago, redandy1 said:

Have a listen to Sturgeon and Salmon it might help you get a clue on how things are up there now. 

I was referring to the ABE thing.

Slightly off topic the two you mention and their party are expert at manipulating the media and a lot of the stuff they come out with is not reflective of the average person in the street.

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I find the scots anti English obsession very childish and very odd.

It's historical. Edward Longshanks or King Edward 1st and all that. There's  been an anti English attitude for centuries, same with the Welsh and the Irish.

England used to rule them and are to blame largely for religious reasons. In the case of the Irish our English government refused to send food to them during the potato famine. It was to do with the corn laws of the time.

As someone who travels a lot, I've come to realise that pretty much the whole world likes to see England lose. We seem to be the number 1 scalp in most sports for so many countries. We have our history to thank for that, I guess.

Personally I'd like to see a lot more of the Scottish and Welsh spirit in our national team. I look on a little enviously at those crazy Welsh qualifying nights in Cardiff. I haven't felt the buzz that they must experience there, with England for more years than I can remember. 

I know it's been said before, but don't you just sense the players seem to go through the motions and are so detached from the fans.

41 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

As someone who travels a lot, I've come to realise that pretty much the whole world likes to see England lose. We seem to be the number 1 scalp in most sports for so many countries. We have our history to thank for that, I guess.

Personally I'd like to see a lot more of the Scottish and Welsh spirit in our national team. I look on a little enviously at those crazy Welsh qualifying nights in Cardiff. I haven't felt the buzz that they must experience there, with England for more years than I can remember. 

I know it's been said before, but don't you just sense the players seem to go through the motions and are so detached from the fans.

Well, I suppose one way to generate that Cardiff/Welsh pashion and buzz, would be to not qualify for a major tournament for 60 years.....

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

It's historical. Edward Longshanks or King Edward 1st and all that. There's  been an anti English attitude for centuries, same with the Welsh and the Irish.

England used to rule them and are to blame largely for religious reasons. In the case of the Irish our English government refused to send food to them during the potato famine. It was to do with the corn laws of the time.

Yep centuries ago...

The Scottish seem to have a disproportionate number of smallminded individuals .

I give you two true stories .

Many years ago I was with an English group of colleagues sent by our company to open a superstore in Bishop Briggs , near Glasgow .

We were booked into a hotel with a bar in the Campsie Fells .

We arrived Saturday around 8 o'clock after a long journey up from the South.

We asked for a menu only to be told that the kitchen was closed and when we wanted to order some drinks the bar steward told us that the bar was also closed .

All the while locals were being served food and drink .

What a welcome .

I have a Scots friend , who told me about an American friend of his who decided to visit Scotland to discover his roots .

It all went swimmingly, in the bar, drinks were sunk , stories exchanged , a general warmth and pleasure was shared as   ' one of theirs ' was returning proudly to the cradle of his ancestors.

That was until he had to sign the visitors book .

The owner of the hotel threw him out .

His crime ?  His clan betrayed another clan to the English 600 years ago. 

Knobs .

2 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

I was referring to the ABE thing.

Slightly off topic the two you mention and their party are expert at manipulating the media and a lot of the stuff they come out with is not reflective of the average person in the street.

So was I.

Being married in to a Plaid Cymru-supporting Welsh family, I find the most effective response to any anti-English stance is sheer ambivalence.  I just don't rise to it.  I'll be wholeheartedly backing Wales tonight whilst getting my Mrs to translate S4C for me.  That'll probably annoy them more than anything.

Archived