IGNORED

Unlucky Scotland

kevthered

Scotland should really have gone close in '78, that was their real chance (look what they did to Holland). Apart from Narey's "toe poke" putting them one up v Brasil, it's been downhill ever since for them. We are going the same way, but at a slower pace.

5 hours ago, Alessandro said:

As someone who travels a lot, I've come to realise that pretty much the whole world likes to see England lose. We seem to be the number 1 scalp in most sports for so many countries. We have our history to thank for that, I guess.

Personally I'd like to see a lot more of the Scottish and Welsh spirit in our national team. I look on a little enviously at those crazy Welsh qualifying nights in Cardiff. I haven't felt the buzz that they must experience there, with England for more years than I can remember. 

I know it's been said before, but don't you just sense the players seem to go through the motions and are so detached from the fans.

It is some years since I have lived in England or followed England home or abroad, but your comments about 'spirit', 'crazy' and the 'buzz' resonate with me as well.

Passion is an oft-used word when describing football, in respect of both players and fans, but I struggle to compare favourably the 'passion' shown in England's most recent match against Germany by the shaven-headed, tattooed thugs, shouting/singing their spittle filled venom and their incessant songs about the war with the perhaps less loud, but, surely, no less fervent passion shown by our neighbours; the men wearing kilts and tam o'shanters with false ginger beards, both men and women wearing leeks and daffodil hats, and the masses of green, with their leprechaun hats and beards, all of them singing and chanting with such an engaging, almost forlorn, hope that they might win a match, let alone progress in the tournament - except, of course, they did last time out in France.

Finally, I can assure you that the French people with whom I discussed the 2016 games in France were full of nothing but praise for the 'British?' fans, especially the Irish who were based in Versailles, but were less than warm towards the English fans (Russian involvement notwithstanding) in Marseilles.     

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

They all hold a grudge indefinitely KW...

Have to agree. Personally speaking, Scots I've encountered tend to be a racist (i.e. anti-English) and opinionated bunch. Also obsessed with religion and history from centuries ago. Always found it odd that they wear Argentina shirts to games against us despite the fact their countrymen fought and died against the Argies during the Falklands. Weird bunch.

Again, just my personal encounters, not speaking for Scots as a whole, who I've been assured can be very friendly and welcoming.

7 minutes ago, SARJ said:

Have to agree. Personally speaking, Scots I've encountered tend to be a racist (i.e. anti-English) and opinionated bunch. Also obsessed with religion and history from centuries ago. Always found it odd that they wear Argentina shirts to games against us despite the fact their countrymen fought and died against the Argies during the Falklands. Weird bunch.

Again, just my personal encounters, not speaking for Scots as a whole, who I've been assured can be very friendly and welcoming.

This.

The sweaties gave Maradonna a hero's welcome in Glasgow just a couple of years after our Mexico defeat to the Argies in '86.

Adulation for a guy who cheated in a game of football (!!) a couple of years previously. Yet no hint of malice towards him with regard to the Scots Guards who lost their lives on Mount Tumbledown, just four years previously ! :facepalm:

As far as I`m concerned I just want to see as many City players at the World Cup as possible. Hence I want Ireland to win just as much as I want Iceland, Senegal and Australia to.

It shouldn`t be about politics, it should be about players achieving their dreams and hopefully raising our club`s profile in the process.

19 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

McInnes?

You've accidentally missed out Ian Baird.

Ian Baird!!! Probably missed of cos he's northern not Scottish. Otherwise He'd be top of the list of Greats!

6 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It is some years since I have lived in England or followed England home or abroad, but your comments about 'spirit', 'crazy' and the 'buzz' resonate with me as well.

Passion is an oft-used word when describing football, in respect of both players and fans, but I struggle to compare favourably the 'passion' shown in England's most recent match against Germany by the shaven-headed, tattooed thugs, shouting/singing their spittle filled venom and their incessant songs about the war with the perhaps less loud, but, surely, no less fervent passion shown by our neighbours; the men wearing kilts and tam o'shanters with false ginger beards, both men and women wearing leeks and daffodil hats, and the masses of green, with their leprechaun hats and beards, all of them singing and chanting with such an engaging, almost forlorn, hope that they might win a match, let alone progress in the tournament - except, of course, they did last time out in France.

Finally, I can assure you that the French people with whom I discussed the 2016 games in France were full of nothing but praise for the 'British?' fans, especially the Irish who were based in Versailles, but were less than warm towards the English fans (Russian involvement notwithstanding) in Marseilles.     

Nobody are provoked the same as the English no matter what anyone says. There were About 50000 English in that harbour and the vast majority were there for a crack. 

14 hours ago, Robbored said:

It's historical. Edward Longshanks or King Edward 1st and all that. There's  been an anti English attitude for centuries, same with the Welsh and the Irish.

England used to rule them and are to blame largely for religious reasons. In the case of the Irish our English government refused to send food to them during the potato famine. It was to do with the corn laws of the time.

I could point out all the historical inaccuracies and misinterpretations in that post, evil twin, but I don't have an hour to spare.

Don't get your historical knowledge from Hollywood is all I'll advise.

14 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I could point out all the historical inaccuracies and misinterpretations in that post, evil twin, but I don't have an hour to spare.

Don't get your historical knowledge from Hollywood is all I'll advise.

It's  been many many years since I studied British history RR. Over 40 at a guess. 

I do remember Edward Longshanks tho and his " hammered of the Scots" reputation.

Id have to revise to get all the facts about both subjects to be more accurate and precise.

On 08/10/2017 at 22:45, ScottishRed said:

To an extent the ABE thing is true but it was never a majority, I was born and bred - hence the user name obviously - but having lived here for the majority of my life I cannot comment on how things are up there now.

Just to be clear I am anything but ABE, but in a footballing sense neither country has anything to be proud about nowadays.

The jibe at Andy Murray is a bit rich and also completely untrue.

Its a totally different sport however there is a very strong argument that Murray is the best INDIVIDUAL UK sportsman of all time.

He's got very strong competition for that. But then most people's view of sport doesn't extend far beyond football, rugby, tennis and cricket. 

Personally, I'd put Chris Froome, Carl Fogarty, Bradley Wiggins, Jonathan Rea, Graham Hill, John Surtees, Jim Clark above him. I could add another 50 I reckon. 

My criteria will be different to most I'm sure. 

Archived