IGNORED

Bristol City or England?

Fat Cigar

Bristol City or England?  

285 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 minutes ago, RedM said:

Club every time. In fact I think I'm more interested in individual players, so Hordour for Iceland, Callum for Eire is much more interesting and relevant than Henderson, etc for England. 

Which could lead us on to a different question: imagine a scenario when a City player, (two above for e.g. although can't see Mags staying beyond Jan) playing for his country, scores against Eng, would you cheer/be happy/smile/curse? 

I would like the idea of winning promotion to the Premier League but once there not so sure it would be that enjoyable so it's England for me

Who wouldn't miss the national bed wetting when we reach the knock out stages  before being knocked out because of penalties/cheating Argies/deflected free-kicks/should have been sent off Dutch players/Kevin Keegan/Elieen Drury/A petulant flick/a dodgy ruled out goal from a corner/a flukey free-kick/David Batty/Gazzy being short/Paul Ince/Chris Waddle's dream of puting an object into space/allegations of theft/Peter Sodding Bonnetti/Jamie Carragher.

Couldn't give a toss about international football.

I grew up watching Bristol City with my Dad and this will always be my #1 football team.

England are just some moany gits who stop the regular club football every few months so they can scrape by random other countries to then perform poorly on the bigger stage. I didn't go to their games as a kid, didn't queue to meet their players, they're not a community I grew up feeling a part of, didn't go to their Christmas parties and get a picture with a favourite player.

International football is just a collection of players from teams I don't like.

For me it would be without a shadow of doubt England winning the World Cup.

Those two aren't even comparable. England winning footballs most prestigious international competition, or Bristol City playing in the top-flight.

Now, if we're talking about Bristol City winning the Premier League, that's a different story.

I have to say that this is a little tricky poll isn't it?

Is the premier league all it's cracked up to be? Haven't watched for years, I have no interest in watching Man U, Chelski, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs walk the league every year (aside from the Leicester year obviously, when actually I was a bit interested).

These guys are overpaid, brain dead morons. 

And then there's the England team. Who lost all my respect when they played here in 2010. Rooney was a complete disgrace that night, he was awful and treated the fans like garbage - who pays your wages mate (oh yes sky TV).

So by a hair its BCFC to be promoted.

6 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

I have to say that this is a little tricky poll isn't it?

Is the premier league all it's cracked up to be? Haven't watched for years, I have no interest in watching Man U, Chelski, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs walk the league every year (aside from the Leicester year obviously, when actually I was a bit interested).

These guys are overpaid, brain dead morons. 

And then there's the England team. Who lost all my respect when they played here in 2010. Rooney was a complete disgrace that night, he was awful and treated the fans like garbage - who pays your wages mate (oh yes sky TV).

So by a hair its BCFC to be promoted.

Really good point about the Premier League. There would be a few things lots of us wouldn't like if we got there (stupid kick off times, a few hidings,  watching the antics of some of the "superstars" etc). Having said that, it would raise the profile of our club and give us more clout financially if we found ourselves back in the Championship. 

Some of you have pointed out I should have given the option of City winning the Prem. But, whilst the chances of England winning the WC are remote, the chances of us winning the Prem are zero. So, being realistic here.

Let's also be honest, we are far more likely to get promoted than England are of winning anything. 

52 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

Which could lead us on to a different question: imagine a scenario when a City player, (two above for e.g. although can't see Mags staying beyond Jan) playing for his country, scores against Eng, would you cheer/be happy/smile/curse? 

Curse, surely? City players are transient, your country isn't.

Having said that it's City first for me and it will take a lot to see me ever passionate about the England team again.

16 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Curse, surely? City players are transient, your country isn't.

Perhaps, yes if it ever came down to it but I think I'd manage a rue smile really. Let's face it Bristol City are never going to have players who will be better than anyone playing for England so if one of ours manages to score against the Premiership's finest then you got to crack a smile haven't you. If England gets outdone by a mere Bristol City player playing for a lower ranked nation then they deserve to be defeated.

35 minutes ago, RedM said:

Perhaps, yes if it ever came down to it but I think I'd manage a rue smile really. Let's face it Bristol City are never going to have players who will be better than anyone playing for England so if one of ours manages to score against the Premiership's finest then you got to crack a smile haven't you. If England gets outdone by a mere Bristol City player playing for a lower ranked nation then they deserve to be defeated.

I said I've lost alot of interest in the England team RedM. but I still watch the games as an England fan and would always want them to win.

I also live in hope a manager/team will yet come along to resurrect my previous passion for the national team.

I support all players in a Red City shirt and want all our players to do well on international duty - but that would go out the window if they were playing against England.

No conflict of interests for me - I always want Bristol City to win and the same goes for England, simple as that.

I was in West Germany (as it was then) when they won in '90 - the place went ballistic. A world cup win brings a country together.
The World Cup transcends club football (on winning the final) every time for me.

To add a realistic note: England have won it once in my lifetime (the only time and I was a mere babe so never got to experience the atmosphere) and City have been in the top division in that time also. I suspect that City will get to the top division before England win the World Cup again.

Not sure I follow the reasoning from a lot on here: I don't like the overpaid prima donnas, but I do want City to join the league that created the overpaid prima donnas. 

I went for England because I think in my lifetime I will see City promoted to the Prem, possibly more than once, whereas I doubt I'll ever see us winning the World Cup. Therefore, if it were a choice of what happens in 2018, I'd go for England - City then have another 3 years to secure promotion before I can ask the OTIB genie for another wish! 

4 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Bristol City or England? The answer is Bristol City.

But Premiership promotion v World Cup isn't a like for like comparison in my opinion. I should see BC in the Premiership in my lifetime but I doubt England will win the World Cup so I chose the latter.

Premiership Champions v World Cup winners and I'd chose the Prem.

True. Just getting to the Premiership isn't the same...

Don't follow England really in the same way, city is pretty much every week so i have a much closer love to the club than the country. Don't go to England games so instantly the fact of not being there will be a massive disadvantage. Saying that, winning the world cup over promotion is a bigger thing, as much as i would love to see us get to the prem it hardly compares to winning the world cup but if it was us winning the prem then i would say city all the time but i will see pigs fly before i see this.

I used to love watching England, I was spoiled as the first major tournament I remember was Italia 90. I enjoyed the era’s of Venables, Hoddle, Sven, watching England was a massive social event, going out with the boys, few beers, the agony, the ecstasy, it was never dull! Then along came Roy Hodgson in 2012, boring football, the team being set up not to lose, rather than going out to win. The abject performance at Euro 2016 (Wales aside) and people like Sam Allardyce and Gareth Southgate getting the job that the great Brian Clough craved, but never got, sums up just how dire the whole FA/ England situation is. I said last week that if England were now playing in my garden, I’d pull the curtains! City for me all the way.

Archived