IGNORED

Syria v Australia

simon uk

1 minute ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

In what sense.

Criticising their own team (unlikely, I should have thought, given the hardship and obstacles they faced just to compete) or in a 'We wuz robbed' sense?

Check any post on the Fifa World Cup's facebook page since the match finished and you'll find dozens of this comment

'We demand an investigation into the replacement of referee Rafshan Irmatov and his departure at a difficult time in such an important match.
We ask for an examination of the grassland that was not suitable for the Syrian team, while Australian players 
seem to be wearing shoes that cling to the long grass, so we saw Syrian players fall during the game, while Australia's players are steady. 

Australia were pretty poor and have been for much of this campaign.

Looks like the manager is going to walk away as well - possibly before the playoffs.

I'm a big fan of Ange and the experience of winning the Asian cup in 2015 was amazing. 

I'm not blaming him completely. Although Australia still punches above its weight in football (To the extent qualification is now almost seen as a given) this is not a great squad. Probably the weakest since the early 2000's.

He seems to have lost the players the though, and some of his selections (Mooy - on the bench? And then put him in def mid?) and tactics have been mental of late. A change might be good for everyone.

I'd put $$ on Honduras but if Australia can sneak an away goal then who knows.

6 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

So David Seal was the first Aussie I saw wear a City shirt. Was there anyone before him?

I can't think of anyone called Bruce so most probably not! 

Christ, I forgot about him! Probably (almost certainly!) the first Aussie I saw in a City shirt too!

14 hours ago, Flint says No said:

No reason why the Aussies can’t beat Honduras. When will they be played?

In Honduras first on 6th Nov in San Pedro Sula, which is a pretty grim place (I did go there once) and then back to Sydney on the 14th. I think it will be tough and not just for the football. The Hondurans will have all the tricks just like the Uruguayans used to come up with when Australia was in Oceania and played 5th Spot in CONMEBOL. They'll be jostled and spat at, rocks will be thrown, the A/C will mysteriously break down, drummers will be told to line up in the streets outside the hotel and play all night and they could have the food tampered with. Australia are more street wise than they used to be so hopefully they'll handle it. After they deal with this, then there's just the little matter of winning the football match over two legs. All in a days work for Bailey's of course because he's has hard as nails.

11 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Quite a few Aussies have played here

Agostino, Wiltshire, Seal, Wright, Scope, Stambosievl(spelling) anymore?

A few ex City players have moved to Australia too - Michael Bridges is now a TV pundit over here, Steve Neville was living in Perth and now his son, Scott has just returned to A League's Perth Glory after spells with Newcastle Jets and Western Sydney Wanderers. Bruce Halliday is a financial advisor in Queensland and Trevor Morgan had a long spell in Western Australia but last I heard was coaching in India. Also Julian Watts (crap footballer, good bloke...by his own admission) had a stint with Northern Spirit (with David Seal) in Sydney.

2 hours ago, BS5_RED said:

Australia were pretty poor and have been for much of this campaign.

Looks like the manager is going to walk away as well - possibly before the playoffs.

I'm a big fan of Ange and the experience of winning the Asian cup in 2015 was amazing. 

I'm not blaming him completely. Although Australia still punches above its weight in football (To the extent qualification is now almost seen as a given) this is not a great squad. Probably the weakest since the early 2000's.

He seems to have lost the players the though, and some of his selections (Mooy - on the bench? And then put him in def mid?) and tactics have been mental of late. A change might be good for everyone.

I'd put $$ on Honduras but if Australia can sneak an away goal then who knows.

Spot On BS5_RED, I like Ange too but he's lost the plot a bit recently and I think it's time for a change. Australia's current squad isn't great and a far cry for the Golden Generation of 2006. Says it all when our best striker is a 38 year old, that is actually a midfielder!

Archived