IGNORED

We won't cry for you Argentina

Malago

3 hours ago, EnderMB said:

You say that, but the USA just failed to qualify, and IIRC FIFA make more money from the yanks than anyone else during a World Cup campaign.

It's probably the only time every four years that the whole country gives a shit about football, and now they'll have destroyed all that growth over the last decade.

No, the difference with USA is they dont attract a market globally to have shirts sold and players faces branded everywhere across the World like Argentina do with Messi. Must be tough for FIFA already with Holland and Robben not qualifying and no Sanchez or Bale.

3 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Germany, Brazil & France the 3 favorites you'd think? Argentina & Spain will be in the mix I imagine, Belgium always have high hopes but usually crumble. Italy will probably scrape through their play offs to qualify, but then will do well in the tournament like they always do.

England to scrape through a poor group in 2nd place on 5 points, win a last 16 tie 1-0 against one of the African nations through pure luck and a set piece, before crashing out to a decent outfit in the quarters. 

Am I missing anything?!

Spain are a standout for me and I think they will win it.

1 hour ago, BA14 RED said:

No, the difference with USA is they dont attract a market globally to have shirts sold and players faces branded everywhere across the World like Argentina do with Messi. Must be tough for FIFA already with Holland and Robben not qualifying and no Sanchez or Bale.

Who do you think buys a lot of this stuff?

In terms of markets, especially in relation to the FIFA game, the US is a huge consumer. Without the USA in the World Cup, loads of US companies will pull their adverts, fans won't buy the games or the kits, and FIFA will lose a ton of money.

33 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

Who do you think buys a lot of this stuff?

In terms of markets, especially in relation to the FIFA game, the US is a huge consumer. Without the USA in the World Cup, loads of US companies will pull their adverts, fans won't buy the games or the kits, and FIFA will lose a ton of money.

Having had to suffer US coverage of recent World Cups, I would note that the broadcasters have started to embrace the tournament as a whole, and show some, if not all, games, as compared to NBC's coverage of the Olympics where if an American is not competing, the particular discipline doesn't really exist. In addition, there is a sizeable [insert other country]-American market that WILL be watching regardless if the USA are not playing. I.e., I can't imagine they will pull their advertising en masse.

5 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I have been to Buenos Aires twice and, given it is the only country I have visited that Britain has been at war with in my lifetime, I had no grief whatsoever and met some lovely people. I will note that down in Ushuaia they play the Malvinas card rather more.

I know United fans would chant Argentina, and likely some bought shirts: from memory that was in protest at the general vilification of Beckham from August 1998 onwards: hanged effigy at Upton Park rings a bell.

Now, that rings a bell. I think you are bang on there

As for your first point, I don't know anyone who has been to Argentina who doesn't have anything but lovely things to say about the place and the people. It's just Maradona and anyone who ever pulled on that shirt that I can't stand. I'm fed up of Messi as well, I can appreciate his genius, but he's no Gary Shelton, is he?

4 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Now, that rings a bell. I think you are bang on there

As for your first point, I don't know anyone who has been to Argentina who doesn't have anything but lovely things to say about the place and the people. It's just Maradona and anyone who ever pulled on that shirt that I can't stand. I'm fed up of Messi as well, I can appreciate his genius, but he's no Gary Shelton, is he?

If I had to list my favourite players of all time, likely at least 2 would be Argentinian: Batistuta and Zanetti.

7 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I have been to Buenos Aires twice and, given it is the only country I have visited that Britain has been at war with in my lifetime, I had no grief whatsoever and met some lovely people. I will note that down in Ushuaia they play the Malvinas card rather more.

I know United fans would chant Argentina, and likely some bought shirts: from memory that was in protest at the general vilification of Beckham from August 1998 onwards: hanged effigy at Upton Park rings a bell.

Buenos Aires is an beautiful city, with some of the best steak, wine and gelato you'll ever consume. South America is an incredible place, and the passion for football there is something else. If you like an adventure, go there and it'll be an experience you'll never forget. 

Archived