IGNORED

England and the world cup

Trueredsupporter

• Admin
11 minutes ago, Trueredsupporte said:

When did you last think that England winning the world cup was a realistic possibility instead of a fantasy?

2002 and I honestly cant see things changing in the next ten.

Would aqree with the year, Brazil were there for the taking that day.

As usual we stumbled in the group, but put Argentina out on the way. Reckon the heat got to our players and certainly won't get a better chance than playing 10 men in a quarter final

As for the future, there is nothing in the current set up that says we are going to excel in Russia. OK we have Kane on fire, but the midfield are what are going to cost us!

Looking further than that, all our age groups are winning tournaments but how many of them will actually make an impact at the top end of the game

We'd need a big slide of luck to finally go our way....

Things could be worse, we could be one of the other home nations

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

Agreed. 1998 and 2002. 

Was in the Lions for 2006 quarters v Portugal and was highly drunk. 

I still hate Lamps for that day. Missed the first pen and we knew we were screwed from there on in...

Was that the one where Carragher was made to retake his penalty and missed?

20 minutes ago, FramptonRed said:

1982 we had a quality team,i thought that we could of gone all the way then.

That's the first World Cup I remember - especially the victory against France when we scored after about 30 seconds and that brilliant game when Italy beat Brazil.

Looking back at the ones I remember:
2014: no
2010: no
2006: no
2002: outside chance due to the side of the draw we were on
1998: no: not because we were poor, just that we were nowhere near the quality was going to be needed to beat one or more of France, Brazil, Netherlands and Italy
1994: n/a
1990: probably our last great chance to win it
1986: certainly might have had a run to the final, but would not have fancied our chances v West Germany
1982: no. Then again, the best team in the tournament couldn't even win it.
1978: n/a

I think since Italia 90 we have won 3 knock-out games at major finals, with various iterations of Golden Generations, I think that sums up how 2nd rate we truly are when compared to the likes of Brazil, Germany etc.

24 minutes ago, Offside said:

That's the first World Cup I remember - especially the victory against France when we scored after about 30 seconds and that brilliant game when Italy beat Brazil.

That's the WC when Keegan missed a simple header and managed to hit the post........  forget who against but that miss cost us

2006. First 11 was full of top players.... they just couldn't play well as a team. 

They were that good that playing as individuals and without playing well they made the quarters (what we would give to progress through a knock out game nowadays!) and that was without both first choice strikers being fully fit.

Best "team" on paper in my lifetime. 

2002 should have been ours. Against Brazil Beckham jumped out of a 50/50 and the next Englishman to touch the ball is Seaman plucking the ball out the net. Then the flooky free kick. Next up was a very beatable Turkey before arguably the worst German side in a long time waiting for us in the final, 10 months on from a thrashing in Munich.

If Ashley Cole and Gerrard had been fit we'd have won that tournament, with or without a left winger 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

That's the WC when Keegan missed a simple header and managed to hit the post........  forget who against but that miss cost us

Against Spain in the final group game of the 2nd phase: him and Brooking were brought having not played the entire tournament. Saw both our 2nd round games that year, 0-0 v W Germany and then Spain. W Germany went through by virtue of their win over Spain.

1 hour ago, Offside said:

I remember we didnt lose a game that world cup either but we had to beat Spain,we battered them but couldnt score.

Keegan came on and missed a sitter.

2002. Massive opportunity missed as per usual, Brazil yes they had the 3 R's but I thought we more than matched them elsewhere. 
The other quarter finalists were Germany (Who had a poor side that year), Spain, South Korea, Turkey, USA & Senegal. We'd have beat them all.

Also although it is not the World Cup but Euro 2004 was the last time we ever looked like we could win a Tournament.

5 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

2002. Massive opportunity missed as per usual, Brazil yes they had the 3 R's but I thought we more than matched them elsewhere. 
The other quarter finalists were Germany (Who had a poor side that year), Spain, South Korea, Turkey, USA & Senegal. We'd have beat them all.

Also although it is not the World Cup but Euro 2004 was the last time we ever looked like we could win a Tournament.

South Korea were on fire weren't they? Knocked out Spain & Italy if I recall?

4 hours ago, Trueredsupporte said:

When did you last think that England winning the world cup was a realistic possibility instead of a fantasy?

I wasn't old enough for the 66 World Cup.... still hell bent on playing with my bucket and spade on Weymouth beach apparently.

We had a good squad in Mexico 70.... but I was still too young to take much of it in.

In my lifetime, I have never felt England stood any chance of lifting the World Cup.. apart from Italia 90 (when like the team, I warmed to the tournament as it progressed). And then the Germans turned up. So....in my footballing lifetime.... Bobby Robsons England in 1990

1990 I agree Pens. I must have a re look at 2002 though.. Lot of people talking about that one. When England go out it all becomes a blur really and what with the corrupt organisation at the top, and i do not doubt for a second it is anywhere near clean, I have lost significant interest since Bobbys boys of 1990.

4 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

1990 I agree Pens. I must have a re look at 2002 though.. Lot of people talking about that one. When England go out it all becomes a blur really and what with the corrupt organisation at the top, and i do not doubt for a second it is anywhere near clean, I have lost significant interest since Bobbys boys of 1990.

A win in 2002 was certainly possible, I am just not convinced it was realistically so. But, I think since 1990 it was our best chance.

5 hours ago, phantom said:

As for the future, there is nothing in the current set up that says we are going to excel in Russia. OK we have Kane on fire, but the midfield are what are going to cost us!

No argument about us lacking quality in midfield. However I think England's biggest problem is the defence.

As soon as we play a decent side who attack us the defence tends to fall apart. Some of the goals we concede in tournament games are frankly embarrassing. Once we face a half decent team I am just waiting for them to waltz through our woeful defence.

7 hours ago, Trueredsupporte said:

Our record ain't great.....eg we only 'qualified' for four World Cups from 1962 to 1998.....can't ever see us winning a major tournament....there ain't enough English players playing at the top levels around the World...

2 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

No argument about us lacking quality in midfield. However I think England's biggest problem is the defence.

As soon as we play a decent side who attack us the defence tends to fall apart. Some of the goals we concede in tournament games are frankly embarrassing. Once we face a half decent team I am just waiting for them to waltz through our woeful defence.

So your telling me a squad with Gerrard, Lampard, Ferdinand, Beckham, Owen, Terry, Cole, Rooney were not capable? They definitely were capable but shockingly mis managed!

Archived